I have $2,000 to spend... - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 78 Old 07-03-2013, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
imranh86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by imranh86 View Post

Ok, I have now narrowed my choices down to two:

1. The Hsu Hybrid 15 package with the VTF-15H for $2,122.00
2. A package of Ascend speakers with the Rythmik LV12R for $1,740.48

At this moment, I am leaning towards the package with the Rythmik sub and Ascend speakers because it does cost $381.52 less.

From other reviews I've read, people say that the Ascend's are more musical while the Hsu's are better suited for movies. I will be not be listening to any music in my media room. Has anyone heard both sets of speakers and have any comments as to what each is relatively better for?

Also, I do have a question about the Ascend speakers. Which speakers, CBM-170 SE or HTM-200 SE, are better for surrounds? They are both the same price, $299 a pair, although, a pair of b-stock HTM-200 SE's can be had for $262.24.

Actually, another option just popped up into my head.

3. A package of Ascend speakers with TWO Rythmik LV12R for $2,241.13

Would this package be preferred over the Hsu package? Although, I doubt I would go for the two sub package right now, but it's an option to consider in the future if I am not satisfied with the one sub arrangement.
imranh86 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 78 Old 07-03-2013, 09:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,758
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 780
The CBM-170 SEs would be a little better for surrounds because of the bigger drivers.

Some people seem to like the HB1s better than the CBM-170 SEs for the slightly bigger soundstage. However, the CMT-340 SEs have a bigger soundstage than the CBM-170s, so that difference is probably erased.

For the price differential, you could go with the Hybrid 3 package. The VTF-3 MK4 is a more powerful sub than the Rythmik LV12R.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is offline  
post #63 of 78 Old 07-03-2013, 09:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cschang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 14,770
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 77
The HTM-200SE though is more flexible in placement/mounting.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

cschang is offline  
post #64 of 78 Old 07-03-2013, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Nethawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 2,513
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by imranh86 View Post

Actually, another option just popped up into my head.

3. A package of Ascend speakers with TWO Rythmik LV12R for $2,241.13

Would this package be preferred over the Hsu package? Although, I doubt I would go for the two sub package right now, but it's an option to consider in the future if I am not satisfied with the one sub arrangement.

I'd start with one subwoofer. Integrate this, play with your new setup for awhile, and if you think you need more bass buy a second sub later. There will be a bit of a learning curve that you will gain a lot of value from, this will also help you make a decision. Without a review above, it's still questionable whether you really need two subs.

Just a thought.

Nethawk is offline  
post #65 of 78 Old 07-03-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
LastButNotLeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 08077
Posts: 4,678
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

 Without a review above, it's still questionable whether you really need two subs.

Right, like any of us really NEEDS two subs.

biggrin.gif

Or three.

Or four.

eek.gif


Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
LastButNotLeast is offline  
post #66 of 78 Old 07-03-2013, 12:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,758
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

I'd start with one subwoofer. Integrate this, play with your new setup for awhile, and if you think you need more bass buy a second sub later. There will be a bit of a learning curve that you will gain a lot of value from, this will also help you make a decision. Without a review above, it's still questionable whether you really need two subs.

Just a thought.

The primary reason to buy a 2nd sub is not more bass, though. Sure you get a few extra db. But the main benefit is more even bass throughout the room. Most setups can benefit from that. smile.gif

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is offline  
post #67 of 78 Old 07-03-2013, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Having one sub might be a good thing if your wife wants less bass.

You can set up where she gets 3dB-6dB less bass on her side of the seating.. biggrin.gif
Nethawk and zencarver like this.
AcuDefTechGuy is offline  
post #68 of 78 Old 07-03-2013, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
imranh86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

Having one sub might be a good thing if your wife wants less bass.

You can set up where she gets 3dB-6dB less bass on her side of the seating.. biggrin.gif

+1
imranh86 is offline  
post #69 of 78 Old 07-03-2013, 01:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,758
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

Having one sub might be a good thing if your wife wants less bass.

You can set up where she gets 3dB-6dB less bass on her side of the seating.. biggrin.gif

I never thought of that before. LOL biggrin.gif

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is offline  
post #70 of 78 Old 07-03-2013, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Nethawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 2,513
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

The primary reason to buy a 2nd sub is not more bass, though. Sure you get a few extra db. But the main benefit is more even bass throughout the room. Most setups can benefit from that. smile.gif

Yeah damn it, I'm trying to keep myself from talking me into another FV15HP biggrin.gif If I had the space for it...

Nethawk is offline  
post #71 of 78 Old 07-03-2013, 04:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,758
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

Yeah damn it, I'm trying to keep myself from talking me into another FV15HP biggrin.gif If I had the space for it...

You'll succumb one day. It's one of the next logical upgrades biggrin.gif

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is offline  
post #72 of 78 Old 07-03-2013, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ousooner2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 2,047
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

Yeah damn it, I'm trying to keep myself from talking me into another FV15HP biggrin.gif If I had the space for it...

I've got the space. Send me yours and I'll send you a pic of the 2 when they're set up biggrin.gif

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
ousooner2 is offline  
post #73 of 78 Old 07-04-2013, 01:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Nethawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 2,513
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 115
^^ LOL! You're too kind! Could you do a youtube video too so I know how they sound? tongue.gif

Nethawk is offline  
post #74 of 78 Old 07-04-2013, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
imranh86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

^^ LOL! You're too kind! Could you do a youtube video too so I know how they sound? tongue.gif
Haha, nice. That other thread is a headache.
imranh86 is offline  
post #75 of 78 Old 07-05-2013, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ousooner2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 2,047
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I'll record it with my Galaxy s4 so you'll get the full effect of what the 2 fv15's sound like lol

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
ousooner2 is offline  
post #76 of 78 Old 07-05-2013, 11:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
HAMP568's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 528
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

The primary reason to buy a 2nd sub is not more bass, though. Sure you get a few extra db. But the main benefit is more even bass throughout the room. Most setups can benefit from that. smile.gif

You sure? ? ? ? confused.gif


It was the reason I bought two of them...... smile.gif


Just kiddin with my reply, although I greatly enjoy the extra/evenness lfe throughout the room.


Yet having two subs seems to add to the real feelings I get from the low extension of them and that I love.
HAMP568 is offline  
post #77 of 78 Old 07-06-2013, 12:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,758
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMP568 View Post

You sure? ? ? ? confused.gif


It was the reason I bought two of them...... smile.gif


Just kiddin with my reply, although I greatly enjoy the extra/evenness lfe throughout the room.


Yet having two subs seems to add to the real feelings I get from the low extension of them and that I love.

If you co-locate subs (put one on top of the other), you get 6db over a single sub. Otherwise, the output only adds about 3db additional. It's like doubling the power on an amplifier to a single speaker.

But the way it can smooth the frequency response in a room and make it better throughout is definitely worth it smile.gif

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is offline  
post #78 of 78 Old 07-06-2013, 12:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
HAMP568's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 528
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

If you co-locate subs (put one on top of the other), you get 6db over a single sub. Otherwise, the output only adds about 3db additional. It's like doubling the power on an amplifier to a single speaker.

But the way it can smooth the frequency response in a room and make it better throughout is definitely worth it smile.gif

I am getting a 6db increase from the current locations. I pretty much set each on to 75db's and let XT32 calibrate. I get an off-set from XT32 telling me, it has turned down each of my subs by 4.5 db's because I am using two subs.

I do wonder if that is the 6db increase. Yet, I put it back to 4.5db's, but I really like raising them to 85db's each after the calibration.
HAMP568 is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Hsu Research Hb1 Mk2

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off