Forum Jump: 

Old 07-01-2013, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Everybody,

I did not know where to put this thread so I figured in the speakers section would suffice??

I am curious to what if anyone has tried the DR. Dre Beats Studios.. I went to the store and whilst it is really hard to be subjective with what they offer sound wise, not sure if they are crappy MP3's being played through them but they did not sound half bad..

I was wondering what others here might think of them, I did like the idea of them being Noise Cancelling and was wondering if there are other headphones with built in mic like the Beats are offered out there or how the beats compare to other headsets..

I do know they are a bit spendy but I guess that is because of the quality hopefully and not just a brand name cost wise expense..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2013, 04:59 PM

Personally I'd call you a sell out, for the same price you would get leagues and bounds of a better headphone

for the same quality if not better look into audio technical ATH m50's
People will call me a fanboy for recommending them. But they are literally balanced sound. Not bass heavy like the dre's

Look into sennheisers or shure or audio technicas even akg
Just my two cents worth
Old 07-01-2013, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 151
my teenager has them, too much bass and sound awful to me
Old 07-01-2013, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I'd rather spend $100 bucks on some Bose headphones, they'll likely sound far more accurate than even the $300 dollar Beats, if that tells you anything. That said, realistically, I'd take the $100-$200 dollars and buy some Shure, Sennheiser, Audio Technica headphones, etc. And there's about a dozen other brands that I'm sure people will jump in and recommend that are far superior than the overpriced Beats junk! Hell, I'd spend $100 bucks on a mid-range set of SONY headphones before I'd touch a set of Beats. Kids, of course, go nuts for Beats because they're by Dr. Dre, "Awwww, JEAHHHH, DOG!!! I gotz me some Beatz, you needa hear deez fresh jamz on mah headphones, look at how trendy mah azz looks, sheeeiiiit".

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 17
My choice would be akg k240. No more than $100 shipped. Model has been around for a long time and are in many real recording studios. If you have a sharp eye they're in a lot of movies/comercials too. They have an iconic look. They wont have the bass that some others will, but a very nice balanced sound. One note, if you read reviews, the one knock is the plastic. If you're going to be rough on them, be sure to remove the wiring(they're one sided) when you carry them around. That's where they tend to break and removing the receptacle for the wire will reduce the stress on that part. If they're just for your house, i doubt it would be a prob.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

WEll I did mention I would like the headset to be noise cancelling and with a built in microphone.. I am looking to replace my headset for the PC and the Beats have everything I am looking for are there others with the same features??

Old 07-01-2013, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Why noise canceling for PC use?
Old 07-01-2013, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Well it wasnt clearly stated noise cacelling and mic were absolute requirements, merely likes. I have no expierence with any phones of that nature.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:18 PM

What anyone considers "good sound" in speakers and headphones is highly subjective. Personally I like a little bass heavy headphone for exercising and gaming. However, I've been perfectly satisfied with a set of Grado SR60's when listening to music for years. Good smooth balance.

If you think the Beats sound good then so be it. I'd read some reviews to judge the build quality / durability. But leave it at that. You may want to consider auditioning a few other options. But, that is entirely up to you.

As far as noise cancelling is concerned. Have you considered an in-ear headphone as an alternative. Not ear buds but the kind that fits a small smooshy thingy in your ear canal. I frequently travel to Asia (16 hours in flight) and swear by these. They cut out a lot of background noise and are not bulky to carry. Sound quality of a $50 set can be darn impressive.

Some places you may find interesting are W W W headphone dot com or W w W headwize dot com.

Good luck and good listening...

Gerb
Old 07-01-2013, 11:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Some places you may find interesting are W W W headphone dot com or W w W headwize dot com

Why don't you just post links to the websites, its allowed here.

Afro GT
Old 07-01-2013, 11:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Nephilim1 View Post

I do know they are a bit spendy but I guess that is because of the quality hopefully and not just a brand name cost wise expense..

Nope. It's because of the brand name. If you go over to Head-Fi.org (like AVS but specializes in headphones), they'll tell you all about how over priced the Beats Studios are. A good estimate is that there are $150 to $175 headphones that are bass heavy with better SQ. Do want the bass heavy emphasis of Beats?

You probably don't need the active noise cancellation unless you are in a particularly noisy environment. There are many closed, over the ear headphones that have good passive isolation.

If you find a headphone you like that doesn't have a mic, you can get modmic and attach it to the headphone: http://www.modmic.com/. There are also cheaper options, such as this Zallman mic, if you only need a mic for occasional use.

Finally, this is a nice list of some excellent headphones, with most descriptions leading to a full review: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed (see the Retirees list at the bottom as well).

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Old 07-02-2013, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
B&W P5 - they are expensive but sound great (to me) as they are balanced and neutral. They are noise isolating and sit on your ear - quite comfortable. Also can swap out the cords and it comes with one that has a mic/volume control for iPhone, etc.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1684
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Nephilim1 View Post

They're expensive only because of the name attached to them. Based on how they sound they should have one less digit in the price.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.