New to the world of audio. Need Help. Badly. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-01-2013, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys,

To make a long story short, I've been a long time SONOS user but recently got the itch to upgrade to higher end components. The extent of my knowledge can be summed up as follows: I ordered Kimber speaker cables with spade connectors and come to find out, they don't connect to the NAD or the speakers! Go figure. From brief (and very rushed) online shopping, I ended up with the following setup:

1) NAD T757
2) Oppo BDP-103
2) SONOS Connect
3) Cambridge Audio DAC Magic +
4) Definitive Supercube 4000
5) Pioneer SP-BS22-LR (yes I know, but this is the best I could buy locally)
- Planning on adding a Mac Mini as a music server for higher quality audio
- All connected to a TV in the living room. No immediate 5.1 or 7.1 plans.

I am currently looking for a pair of speakers to replace the Pioneers but I'm kind of stuck. From everything that I've read, it completely depends on personal taste but since I live in middle-of-nowhere Texas there aren't options to audition anything. I would prefer speakers that are forgiving as I have a lot of mp3s that will likely be in rotation until I can accumulate enough high resolution music AND speakers that are "high-end" enough that I won't have the itch to upgrade for some time. A few that I have been considering:

- PMC Twenty.21
- KEF LS50/R100/R300
- B&W PM1
- PSB SYNCHRONY ONE B
- DALI IKON 6 MKII
- DYNAUDIO EXCITE X12/X32

Any input/suggestions/feedback would be helpful and greatly appreciated. Budget $1K-3.5K w/stands.

- Patrick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2013, 09:30 PM

Set aside a day and take a drive to your nearest sign of civilization and listen to some options yourself. You are not citing cheap products. I'd hate to see you spend a lot of money on something you're not 100% satisfied with. Also, what if something else is out there you have not considered yet? I drove 5 hours into downtown Toronto to audition a set of speakers a few years back. I wound up buying something entirely different. I had them for close to 15 years. So, the few hours it took in transit was entirely worth it.

Just my $0.02

Gerb
Old 07-01-2013, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatpatmi View Post

Hi Guys,

5) Pioneer SP-BS22-LR (yes I know, but this is the best I could buy locally)

There's nothing wrong with those. I have the 21 series L/C/R.

Before you go hog-wild on upgrading, you may want to take a moment to evaluate your room. The best way is with readily available software and hardware (assuming you have a PC notebook available, all you need to buy is a microphone). Here's how to get started:

post #275

You may end up surprisingly happy with what you have, once it's set up properly. 

THEN you can go nuts!

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Old 07-01-2013, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies. Maybe it is time that I took a week off to head to Dallas to listen to a bunch of different speakers. BUT, isn't their source equipment, in general, going to be much higher quality than what I'm using at home? In response to LastButNotLeast, I have used the Audyssey setup that came with the NAD...is the linked post much different??

Perhaps it will make a difference if I explain why I purchased the various components:

1) Based on positive reviews and it was on sale. I wanted to start with a stereo system with the potential to eventually upgrade to 5 or 7 channels.
2) Seemed like a no brainer for affordable, high quality Blu-Ray playback
3) Given my other SONOS stuff...
4) Appeared to have good reviews at a modest price and ease of hookup for a Mac Mini music server. Did not want the investment of a Wyred4Sound or Benchmark etc.
5) Purchased off of Craigslist locally. Wanted something small and easy to transport with good performance that would not get me evicted from my apartment (I'm forced to move a lot for work)
6) Needed speakers and didn't want to spend a lot of money while researching/deciding on something permanent
Old 07-02-2013, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

There is NO need to apologize for what you have. I'm a bargain hunter myself and, although I can afford "better" equipment, have no real desire for it since I'm getting great service from what I have. biggrin.gif

And what you have isn't all that bad! smile.gif

The link for measuring equipment is for just that: MEASURING. You're trusting the basic version of Audyssey, which, from my understanding, is actually not doing any room correction (which some would say is actually better than the Audyssey that does, but that's an argument for another forum wink.gif), but you have no idea what is happening to the sound the speakers are generating IN YOUR ROOM. Did you do a "subwoofer crawl" when you set up your Supercube? Are your mains "toed in" or parallel? Which is better?

You don't describe your room at all, or your listening preferences. If you're concentrating mostly on mp3s, you may be better off NOT getting better equipment. eek.gif

A serious suggestion, quoted right from Archaea:

"I personally would spend more on the sub than the speakers.

A(n) incredible sub will make a set of mediocre speakers sound great.
A mediocre sub will make a set of incredible speakers sound bad.
A lot can be had these days for $500 - $1000 in the speaker market - especially if considering used.
I personally think you need to spend about $1K to get a decent sub outside of DIY (which can be done much cheaper these days as well) I'm looking at Epic Empire/HSU VTF-15H as a minimum for an introduction to a jaw dropping movie experience that will make your guests visibly enthralled with a demonstration -- and those 1K subs best utilized in a smaller room to get the wow factor that makes that happen."

Adding another sub to your supercube will balance out the bass response throughout the room. Again, though, without measuring, you don't really know what you have or what you're missing. Please check out the link and the software. There's a learning curve, for sure, but there's help here (even reaching as far as middle of nowhere Texas), and the mic is <$100.

Michael

Old 07-02-2013, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 156
One suggestion, don't spend a bunch of money on cables and speaker wire. That has nothing to do with the quality of the sound. As long as you have sufficient gauge for the distance and don't get the absolute cheapest of the cheap then you'll be fine. Spend you dollars where it matters, speakers and sub, or subs.

Television: Mitsubishi WD65737 DLP
Processor: Emotiva UMC-200
Amps: Carver AV 806x/Behringer EP4000
Mains: DCM TimeFrame 600 Center: AT 453C
Surrounds: AT 251.1 Sub: Danley DTS-10
Blu Ray: Panasonic DMP-BD655
Old 07-02-2013, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1684
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

One suggestion, don't spend a bunch of money on cables and speaker wire. That has nothing to do with the quality of the sound. As long as you have sufficient gauge for the distance and don't get the absolute cheapest of the cheap then you'll be fine. Spend you dollars where it matters, speakers and sub, or subs.
+1. As far as getting the absolute best sound possible the most you should ever spend on cables is a dollar a foot, not a penny more, and even that's at the upper end of what you need to spend.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:57 AM

Liked: 11
Those Pioneer speakers are actually quite good for the price. If you move a lot I would hold onto them because they are inexpensive, easy to move and sound very good. And return those Kimber cables. The performance increased you get from those cables won't justify the price. If you want "high end" cables go with Audioquest or monster"

My $.02
Old 07-02-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
I would also return the cables. monoprice.com has good quality cables at great prices.

I agree with the other posters saying that you should see what your room is doing to the sound.

BUT if I were to replace something in your setup I would sell the SuperCube and buy a good sub or 2 from an ID company like PSA XV15, HSU VTF 2.4, 3.4 or VTF-15H, Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus/EX, SVS PB1000 for the cheap end of good.

Shawn
Old 07-02-2013, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:

5) Purchased off of Craigslist locally. Wanted something small and easy to transport with good performance that would not get me evicted from my apartment (I'm forced to move a lot for work)

For flick and the other poster, apparently you missed the above.

OP probably got a good deal on it. And within its actual range it will sound good and blend well with virtually any speakers the OP is considering.

I have the SC8000 and while disappointed in the low end for movies I have no issues with it at all for music. It sounds very good.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
Old 07-02-2013, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Ordered the UMIK-1 and will experiment with REW when it arrives. After reading some of the tutorials, it certainly appears to have a learning curve...Thank you all for the help and advice. When I find a more permanent living situation I will definitely look at subs like the VTF-15H but at this point, I really don't need something 4 times as big as the SC4000 and 2 times as heavy.

The room I'm dealing with. Somewhat odd shape room. The TV and speakers are in the same location as the TV in the floorplan.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The room I'm dealing with. Somewhat odd shape room. The TV and speakers are in the same location as the TV in the floorplan.

Fine. So you start with a Pioneer on each side of the TV and the sub in the corner. Probably won't be too bad for starters.

Then you learn how to use REW. Then the fun REALLY begins!

If you can go up or down (attic or basement), you'll be able to get in-wall surrounds. Eventually.

May as well just start with what you have. I don't think you'll be too unhappy.

You may want to consider the SP-C22 center when newegg has it on sale.

Michael