Need Recommendations For an Audio Setup in My Bedroom - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-03-2013, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
At the end of the day I probably need a receiver, at least 2 speakers (maybe 3), and a sub so I can hook up both my TV and computer. And the end result will be great sound in my bedroom while listening to music, watching a movie (via blu ray player or HD stream), or playing games via STEAM on my PC.

Given the range of things I will want to listen to and experience, it is pertinent that the speaker can handle movies, music, and some gaming. Also, the bedroom is roughly 10x15 if I remember correctly. The TV and bed from where I do most my watching are positioned lengthwise (so the TV/computers are agaisnt one 10' wall and the head of my bed is up against the other 10' wall).

So I went to a local place that sells home theater equipment and setups. Now they had every kind of setup including your high end $30k setup. And when I told them the situation and setup.

They recommended the following:

3 (left, right, center) Paradigm MilleniaOne 3.0 Speakers - $696 total for all 3
Paradigm PDR-80 Subwoofer - $278
Denon AVR-X1000 Receiver - $419

Total is $1393

To be completely honest I just wanted to see what the recommended options would put me at price wise and to serve as a starting and comparison point. But, I was hoping not to spend that much for a bedroom setup. However, the speakers sounded pretty good. I have no idea if these prices are good or if there are better competing products/prices. For instance I know B&W, among others make speakers, and Veloydne and HSU make decent subs. Or will I find Energy speakers sound just as good? I really don't know the absolutes here, and like everyone says, sound is also objective and will have it's own color.

Please give any advice you can. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-03-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 418
For $1400, you can do better than some overpriced multimedia speakers and an 8" sub.

That receiver would be a good choice, you might be able to find the AVR-1713 for $300 at Best Buy. It is last years model and is essentially the same as the X1000.

If we stick to that budget of $1400, you have $1000 for a front sound stage. I would probably recommend going with bookshelves being that you are in a smaller bedroom, and this lets you get a little more bang for your buck when pairing them with a sub. Since you only have one listening position, you could utilize a phantom center, meaning the L & R speakers produce a center speaker effect. This works well in the "sweet spot", but as you move away from that the effect diminishes.

I would recommend the Ascend CBM-170 SE for your front L and R. These are very well regarded speakers and they have an in-home risk-free trial. Pair them with an Outlaw LFM-1 EX and you will have an excellent 2.1 system, with a very good sub. This will blow the pants off those Paradigm Millenia speakers. Going 2.1 gives you a lot more options in terms of speaker and sub choices.

If you want to say reduce your overall budget to something like $800, you could go with a less expensive sub, something like the BIC F-12 would still be a good option in that size room, and give you plenty of thump for movies and games. Grab a Denon AVR-1713 and pair it with the same Ascend speakers.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #3 of 7 Old 07-03-2013, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

For $1400, you can do better than some overpriced multimedia speakers and an 8" sub.

That receiver would be a good choice, you might be able to find the AVR-1713 for $300 at Best Buy. It is last years model and is essentially the same as the X1000.

If we stick to that budget of $1400, you have $1000 for a front sound stage. I would probably recommend going with bookshelves being that you are in a smaller bedroom, and this lets you get a little more bang for your buck when pairing them with a sub. Since you only have one listening position, you could utilize a phantom center, meaning the L & R speakers produce a center speaker effect. This works well in the "sweet spot", but as you move away from that the effect diminishes.

I would recommend the Ascend CBM-170 SE for your front L and R. These are very well regarded speakers and they have an in-home risk-free trial. Pair them with an Outlaw LFM-1 EX and you will have an excellent 2.1 system, with a very good sub. This will blow the pants off those Paradigm Millenia speakers. Going 2.1 gives you a lot more options in terms of speaker and sub choices.

If you want to say reduce your overall budget to something like $800, you could go with a less expensive sub, something like the BIC F-12 would still be a good option in that size room, and give you plenty of thump for movies and games. Grab a Denon AVR-1713 and pair it with the same Ascend speakers.

+1 Excellent recommendations. The Ascend CBM-170SEs and the EX sub would be a killer BR setup. There are some other good options for book shelf speakers as well.

KEF Q300 $450 at accessories4less.com
Monitor Audio Silver RX1 $675
PSB Image B6 $550

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #4 of 7 Old 07-04-2013, 12:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 768
I agree with Postrokfan and Transmaniacon's recommendations.

The Denon AVR-1713 can be had for $315 at B&H Photo: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/857952-REG/Denon_AVR_1713_AVR_1713_5_1_Channel_3D.html

I have the CBM-170 SEs. Excellent speakers, but the others recommended are good ones, too. I use the CBM-170 SEs in a computer desktop setup.

I have an Outlaw LFM-1 EX. Excellent sub. But for a 10x15 bedroom setup, I think you could save a little money and go with the slightly smaller 12" Outlaw LFM-1 Plus, the 12" Rythmik LV12R, or even the 10" SVS PB-1000. If you had to go with a sub that is even smaller, the SVS SB-1000 is a compact 12" sub that would work great with any of those speakers and would certainly fill a bedroom with sound.

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #5 of 7 Old 07-04-2013, 12:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan View Post

+1 Excellent recommendations. The Ascend CBM-170SEs and the EX sub would be a killer BR setup. There are some other good options for book shelf speakers as well.

KEF Q300 $450 at accessories4less.com
Monitor Audio Silver RX1 $675
PSB Image B6 $550

The Kef Q300 is $499 at accessories4less. There's a pair on ebay for $400 smile.gif

The Kef Q100 might be more comparable to the CMB-170 SE, and a bit easier on the budget.

The SVS SB-1000 is a very nice and very compact sub and a great choice if space is at a minimum.

post #6 of 7 Old 07-04-2013, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

The Kef Q300 is $499 at accessories4less. There's a pair on ebay for $400 smile.gif

The Kef Q100 might be more comparable to the CMB-170 SE, and a bit easier on the budget.

The SVS SB-1000 is a very nice and very compact sub and a great choice if space is at a minimum.

If you're using a sub the Q100 (vs Q300) would be fine.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-04-2013, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the Millenia speakers, they are some of the best micro speakers I've heard and the objective measurements prove their quality, they measure ruler flat and have amazingly uniform dispersion. I had used a pair as a serious monitoring speaker and I still recommend them, they held their own against my Dynaudio monitors that I was using before

if you aren't after small sized speaker, then it does make sense to look at other options, but the little Millenia's do hold their own against many other speakers, even more expensive ones.

Having said that, I would pair them with a different sub like Hsu or SVS. If you like that dealer, I'd opt for some of the other Paradigm bookshelf speakers. I like the Atom monitor, it gives decent bang for the buck

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page