Audio Unlimited rock speaker - Need a rechargeable battery replacement "advice??" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 07-05-2013, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had the Audio Unlimited Rock Speaker systems (SPK-ROCK-DUO2) for about 6 months and three of the units are not holding their charge as long as they use to.

In taking off the bottom of the speakers I discovered the "rechargeable battery" that needs to be replaced however I can't find a replacement unit anywhere.

I opened the bottom and saw it is a NAIR RB-FM-12V 2.2Ah battery. NAIR mfg doesn't carry these units anymore but I'm trying to find a battery that will work based on the dimensions of the brace holder on the bottom of the speaker base?

Has anyone ever replaced a battery in one of these Rock speaker units and if so what model, mfg, and retailer did you buy them from?

C2G who took over Audio Unlimited Rock speaker line said they would only replace the entire unit and could not sell the replacement battery alone.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-05-2013, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 45
What's the warranty? I'd think that if they don't hold a charge within the warranty period that it should be covered.
post #3 of 18 Old 07-05-2013, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Got them as a gift and can't find the receipt... couldn't honor sending all new units so out of luck. Trying to find a replacement battery is proving out to be a huge challenge.
post #4 of 18 Old 07-05-2013, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Unless you're lucky and someone chimes in who has already been through this, you're going to have to scour the web for a replacement. Size will be the hard part. As long as its 12 volts the amp hour rating doesn't have to be a direct match, really, the higher the better.
post #5 of 18 Old 07-05-2013, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Ya, was hoping someone had similar challenge and maybe found a same or better 12v battery to increase the time it keeps a charge.

2.2Ah lasts about 6-8 hours but the more the merrier.
post #6 of 18 Old 07-05-2013, 12:29 PM

Liked: 32
Battery unlimited would be the first place I would be checking. Parts Express and Radio Shack also.

If all it is is a Lead Acid Battery, the ones that go into alarm panels or a UPS unit should fit.

If not, you could probably rig up a 12vDC power source to power them from say a deep cycle standard size battery.
post #7 of 18 Old 07-05-2013, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Battery unlimited would be the first place I would be checking. Parts Express and Radio Shack also.

If all it is is a Lead Acid Battery, the ones that go into alarm panels or a UPS unit should fit.

If not, you could probably rig up a 12vDC power source to power them from say a deep cycle standard size battery.

Do you have a link to batteries unlimited since there are a lot of them online?
post #8 of 18 Old 07-05-2013, 07:05 PM

Yes it is called your local phonebook, or Dexknows.com.
post #9 of 18 Old 07-05-2013, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Appreciate the sarcasm Greg.
post #10 of 18 Old 07-05-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomas21 View Post

Appreciate the sarcasm Greg.
I was not being sarcastic. Everyone on here resides in a different city or country, and do not have access to local information, unless they know where you live, and how large of a town, if there are any local places you can go to, to get the battery.

We are not here to do your homework for you, just to point people in the direction they need to go to get there. I personally unless I am being paid by someone in return for doing their work or fixing something, I am not going to go out and research anymore than I have to, to give someone an idea how to find stuff.

As for this instance, you wanted to know where to get the battery, I gave you two options. If you want anymore, suggest learning how to use either the Dexknows.com website to look up local battery suppliers, or search engines like Google, yahoo, dogpile, altavista, bing, or even eBay or Amazon to find the product you need.

As for what I stated in using a transformer in place of single batteries, not that hard to do, you just need to figure out the total amp draw of all the speakers, how long of a run, and then you can size the transformer to power all the units. If you want to use a deep cycle battery, same thing. You will need to know how much amp draw of all the speakers power controller circuit, and then figure a way to attach the leads from the battery, and then decide if you want them in series or parallel, depending how how long you wish to keep that single or even two batteries in a bank to power the speakers.

If you just want replacement batteries, see the above and learn how to use the tools the Internet has to offer.
post #11 of 18 Old 07-06-2013, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the background on your thoughts. I'll checks around and FYI I'm in the Los Angeles area. Thinking of upgrading to a higher ah that is more readily available giving a longer run time.
post #12 of 18 Old 07-06-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomas21 View Post

Thanks for the background on your thoughts. I'll checks around and FYI I'm in the Los Angeles area. Thinking of upgrading to a higher ah that is more readily available giving a longer run time.
No problem. Did not mean to come off as sarcastic in the first place, but with forums like these, and when you have people of multiple personalities on them, it makes it hard to know what they are thinking.

You should have no problem finding the parts in LA, especially at the sale houses that sell parts to the studios and private production houses. You have more choices in everything from small mom & pop battery places, to national sellers. Here we have three mom & pop battery places, and two national chains, and then you have Radio Shack.

Majority of my purchases are done online, which I would have to say it is around 99%.
post #13 of 18 Old 08-07-2013, 11:21 AM

Any luck finding a replacement battery? I am having the same issue with these speakers. They die out after about 2 hours. It seems that any small 12V SLA battery would work as long it is small enough to secure to the base. You could probably use velcro or something else to secure it if the battery is too big for the brace. Amazon sells SLA batteries between 2ah and 5ah.
post #14 of 18 Old 08-07-2013, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Well after a lot of research with Audio Unlimited and Cables2go who took over their Rock speaker line, I found the key piece of information from one of their engineers.............

The replacement battery for these speaker is Huanyu HYS1222. The only place I could find this unit on the west coast was located up in San Jose.

Site - http://www.batteryspec.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi?action=link&product=238G18&uid=8

I just bought 3 of these from the owner Derek. Great guy and finally a local reseller of this replacement battery.
post #15 of 18 Old 08-07-2013, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Glad to hear you got things sorted out.
post #16 of 18 Old 08-09-2013, 05:52 AM

Thanks for the update!
post #17 of 18 Old 08-22-2013, 10:33 AM

I bought a replacment battery...5ah that probably wouldn't fit anyway. Whe I removed the brace, I found that the original battery was glued to the bottom of the speaker. I decided not to try to force it off. I noticed that the wires are soldered to the battery terminals. I cut the wires, scraped the terminals (carefully) and installed some F1 connectors. Maybe the better connection will help.
post #18 of 18 Old 08-24-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyred View Post

I bought a replacment battery...5ah that probably wouldn't fit anyway. Whe I removed the brace, I found that the original battery was glued to the bottom of the speaker. I decided not to try to force it off. I noticed that the wires are soldered to the battery terminals. I cut the wires, scraped the terminals (carefully) and installed some F1 connectors. Maybe the better connection will help.
Usually that "glue" is nothing more than Silicone caulk, or Hot Glue. If you leave it out in the Sun for a while, you should be able to get it out of the casing.

If not sure, take it to the local battery shop and they would be able to remove the battery, since they have the proper gear for handling, and cleaning it up, in case the casing cracks.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page