Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 57 Old 07-07-2013, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

You could maybe go visit Rythmik...that's a relatively short ways away by Texas standards smile.gif If you continue looking at subs, that is.
Yes. I drive half way to Austin everyday to get to work...smile.gif
But jokes aside, I think I'm ok with buying the sub (if I end up doing that) without listening to them since there is reasonable agreement on this forum about them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4vfx View Post

In Houston it shouldn't be too hard to find a store/showroom where you can hear/audition the KEF or Monitor Audio brand towers. (If you're considering the beefier-tower-no-sub option then hearing them first should be helpful.)
I found a couple of places that do that here. Thanks for the suggestion.
Quote:

Sometimes you just need to commit and go for something....auditioning isn't always an option altho it's good to make sure of what the return will entail.

It looks like I am going to have to commit to something.
Here is my planned course of action:
1. Audition the KEF and/or Monitor speakers (without a sub)
2. If they don't fit the bill, then order one of the subs
3. Order EMP E55Ti's (return if necessary)
4. Order Ascend CMT-340 (return if necessary)

I put the EMPs first because they have a lower return cost (only one way shipping) than the Ascends.

How does that sound?
I guess I'll report back when I've actually done something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 Old 07-07-2013, 03:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsoundar16 View Post

I put the EMPs first because they have a lower return cost (only one way shipping) than the Ascends.

Don't think that the free shipping isn't worked into their price wink.gif Better to just view final shipped cost in making evaluations of which seems the best guess in final price/performance.

Oh, my guess is that taller towers like that would be more expensive to return ship if you didn't like them. Might want to see what the return shipping cost is.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #33 of 57 Old 07-07-2013, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Don't think that the free shipping isn't worked into their price wink.gif Better to just view final shipped cost in making evaluations of which seems the best guess in final price/performance.

Oh, my guess is that taller towers like that would be more expensive to return ship if you didn't like them. Might want to see what the return shipping cost is.

You're right! Looks like I won't be returning anything.
The ascends cost $40 for shipping and about $55 return shipping.
The EMP costs about $100 for return shipping.

Are there people who would let me audition their speakers? Maybe I can post on craigslist or something like that.
post #34 of 57 Old 07-07-2013, 03:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Your right! Looks like I won't be returning anything.

Are there people who would let me audition their speakers? Maybe I can post on craigslist or something like that.

You could ask in the Ascend SE owners thread to see if someone is in your area: http://www.avsforum.com/t/629769/ascend-se-owners-thread

Also, good to edit your account profile and provide your location smile.gif

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
post #35 of 57 Old 07-07-2013, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Speakers for music you can check at www.audiogon.com

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Revel Surrounds/Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos system for rooms/Master bedroom Sonos sound bar/Sonos sub and Sonos play 1 surrounds.
post #36 of 57 Old 07-08-2013, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 744
Quote:

Quote:

+1

post #37 of 57 Old 07-08-2013, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 744
Quote:

Quote:

You're right! Looks like I won't be returning anything.

Not much in your area, but might be interesting for you to hear something in a home setup...http://www.avsforum.com/t/1354492/the-ill-demo-my-speakers-for-other-enthusiasts-thread

post #38 of 57 Old 07-10-2013, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Not much in your area, but might be interesting for you to hear something in a home setup...http://www.avsforum.com/t/1354492/the-ill-demo-my-speakers-for-other-enthusiasts-thread
No one listed there in my area like you said.

On a different topic, I have a Denon 1713. Is this enough to drive the speakers that I'm considering? Or should I be thinking about an external amp?
post #39 of 57 Old 07-10-2013, 10:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

On a different topic, I have a Denon 1713. Is this enough to drive the speakers that I'm considering? Or should I be thinking about an external amp?

Did you say how big your room is? Unless your room is unusually larger, the Denon 1713 would be enough for many people, although it really depends on your expectations for volume.

However, if volume is a serious concern of yours, then you want the speakers with more sensitivity. I'm not certain how to compare their ratings since CMT-340 SE are listed as 90dB @ 1 watt/ 1 meter (8 ohms) and E55Ti 88dB (2.83V@1m) (6 ohms).

post #40 of 57 Old 07-10-2013, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Did you say how big your room is? Unless your room is unusually larger, the Denon 1713 would be enough for many people, although it really depends on your expectations for volume.

However, if volume is a serious concern of yours, then you want the speakers with more sensitivity. I'm not certain how to compare their ratings since CMT-340 SE are listed as 90dB @ 1 watt/ 1 meter (8 ohms) and E55Ti 88dB (2.83V@1m) (6 ohms).

Yes, my room is 18x15 but it's not very closed. I have a kitchen and a dining area behind the living area. This adds another ~10 ft to the back which brings the total to about 18x25. But then again, I don't like to listen to things at very high volume. So I'll probably stick with the Denon for now.
post #41 of 57 Old 07-10-2013, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 383
The Denon AVR-1713 will work fine, and you would have to sell it to get something with pre-outs instead, which doesn't start until the AVR-3313.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #42 of 57 Old 07-10-2013, 10:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

The Denon AVR-1713 will work fine, and you would have to sell it to get something with pre-outs instead, which doesn't start until the AVR-3313.

I agree. You should be fine in that size room with the 1713.

However, the subs you are considering might be challenged in that size space. Subs see all the other open areas, too. Instead of putting more money into a receiver, I would jump up to the HSU VTF-3 MK4 or Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX if you can.

post #43 of 57 Old 07-10-2013, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

That settles it. I will stick with the 1713.

Transmaniacon, I see that you own the EMP E55Ti's. Could you describe how they sound and did you happen to compare them with any other speakers?
post #44 of 57 Old 07-11-2013, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:

That settles it. I will stick with the 1713.

Transmaniacon, I see that you own the EMP E55Ti's. Could you describe how they sound and did you happen to compare them with any other speakers?

The EMP's are a more neutral speaker, meaning they are a little more laid back than brands like Polk and Klipsch. The imaging on them is fantastic, it was the first thing I noticed. I currently run them with a phantom center and I can sit anywhere on my sofa without losing the effect. When listening to music in stereo, I can easily place each instrument in space and the speakers disappear in my room. One shortfall of them however is the low end, they really benefit from a subwoofer in movies. I do not use a sub with music, but it is a must have for movies. Also, these speakers are solid, and they look beautiful. I have them in red burl and the finish and build quality is top notch.

I listened to a good deal of speakers before I tried these, Polk RTi, Infinity Primus, Energy RC, Pioneer, and DefTech, as well as some much more expensive B&W, and Martin Logan speakers. If I had an unlimited budget, I would probably have gone with Martin Logan, but these EMPs hold their own against the much more expensive speakers. The mid-range is the bread and butter of the speaker, that combined with superb imaging made them a clear winner for me. I think the Energy speakers (Older RC line, not the current CF) are a pretty comparable speaker. They are both laid back and sounded similar to me, though with EMP getting the nod on imaging.

Also, the EMPs looked the best out of any speaker I heard, so thats an added bonus! biggrin.gif

Edit: I should note I also listened to the Klipsch Reference line and I didn't care for them (too bright for me).

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #45 of 57 Old 07-13-2013, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the information.

I was thinking about jumping up to the better subs as suggested earlier but I have a question. If the sub is side firing, like the Hsu VTF-3 MK4, do I have to place the sub so that the firing side is pointing to an open space?
post #46 of 57 Old 07-13-2013, 02:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm not sure how close the HSU driver should be placed aiming at walls, etc. Since it is downfiring, the Outlaw LFM-1 EX will not have placement issues. Here is a review: http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/subwoofers/lfm-1-ex-review

post #47 of 57 Old 07-13-2013, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1295
Quote:

If the sub is side firing, like the Hsu VTF-3 MK4, do I have to place the sub so that the firing side is pointing to an open space?
No. Subwoofer radiation is omni-directional. You'll often get a better result aiming the cone towards the wall, as higher frequency harmonics don't go around corners with the ease that the actual subwoofer bandwidth frequencies do.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #48 of 57 Old 07-13-2013, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 75
If you come up through OKC anytime soon then you can have a listen to mine. I've heard the Infinity Primus 363's, Klipsch RF-62/82, Polk RTi bookshelves and a few other speakers here and there....these are definitely a crazy buy for their price. I felt the Klipsch was okay, but had a recessed midrange and the top end was too much. The Primus was decent, especially for it's sale price at Fry's. Not a bad speaker, but could come off a little hot in the upper midrange/lower treble too me. The RTi I heard was just way too forward for my liking. This particular audition was in a store though, so I can't put much into judging that.

I was VERY leery about ordering the EMP stuff as something that looks that nice, with that many drivers can't sound that great (...axiom's large center and m80 complaints come to mind), but I was blown away at their imaging and depth. Cast baskets, etc etc are great to have, but not a requirement to get great sound. I've wondered if they're able to sell them this cheap since TO ME, it looks like they're using the same cabinet as the RBH towers. I'm sure the RBH towers get more beefed up in the end and I'm positive the front baffles are different as EMP has told me, but the dimensions and everything else are the exact same. The top end needs a slight bump on the tweeter, but if you use any EQ it'll fix that. Nothing jumps out at you as they're a very neutral speaker. I'll second that they disappear in my room, even sitting 3-4 feet from the sweet spot. I can sit in front of the FL speaker and it's still glue'd to the middle (running phantom center at the moment until TV goes on the wall). You'll definitely want a sub, but most speakers under...well...a good chunk of money will need something to carry the weight of the lower end.

Oh, the 1713 should be plenty for ya. I'm driving mine with the 1712 & my room is 22'x20'-ish (w/ 11-12' ceilings)...very open too. It has more than enough to get insanely loud. The dynamics of the e55's are mind blowing. I can't hear them break up until I'm reaching near reference levels on the AVR, but that was a one time test & it was very slight breakup. Anything that loud is just too loud for long lol

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
post #49 of 57 Old 07-13-2013, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

No. Subwoofer radiation is omni-directional. You'll often get a better result aiming the cone towards the wall, as higher frequency harmonics don't go around corners with the ease that the actual subwoofer bandwidth frequencies do.
That's good to know. I was actually intending to face the cone toward my TV stand, and I presume that's ok as well. What about the port? Does it have to have some space?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post

If you come up through OKC anytime soon then you can have a listen to mine.
I don't have any plans to come through OKC but thanks for the offer and the review. I am definitely leaning toward the EMPs right now.
post #50 of 57 Old 07-13-2013, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 490
The ports will need a few inches, I would give them 3 or 4 inches.
post #51 of 57 Old 07-13-2013, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

The ports will need a few inches, I would give them 3 or 4 inches.

That's not a problem. I should have more space than that.
post #52 of 57 Old 08-10-2013, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Alright folks, I finally got to audition some speakers. It's much harder to find places to audition than I thought.

I tried to find the KEF's as mentioned earlier but there are no dealers that have them. I am going to try a few more places but it doesn't look promising. Also, I don't think I can listen to the EMPs. Anyway, I listened to the PSB Image T5, Paradigm Monitor 11, and B&W 683.

Out of the three, I liked the sound of the PSBs the most. I thought they had more detail than the rest and were pretty balanced across frequencies. They were lacking in bass compared to the Monitor 11s but I am hoping the T6 is better than the T5 in that area.

The Monitor 11s had good lows and high but I thought they were lacking in the mids. Also, songs that were heavy on vocals just didn't sound that good.

The B&W 683s just had a real dull sound and was not very detailed. I didn't like them very much. I was listening to some classical pieces and some instruments were just missing. I think there was a bell (or something similar) that just didn't make it through.

I am going to listen to Monitor Audio RX6 sometime this week and I will report back. Thanks for your help.
post #53 of 57 Old 08-10-2013, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

Subwoofer: Rythmik LV12R ($598, shipped)

I would get dual LV12 for $1060 shipped (10% discount).

Then get two NHT Absolute Zero (ask NHT to extend the $175 each sale) for $350 shipped.

The Absolute Zero measured +/- 0.9dB from 100Hz-10kHz on HTM, which of course is superlative.

Then get 2 black wood speaker stands from Wood Technology for about $60. Place the NHT on speaker stands atop each Rythmik sub to form a big modular tower speaker system. biggrin.gif

Make sure you run Audyssey XT + Dynamic EQ, then manually reset your speakers and sub levels afterwards. I prefer Audyssey Flat + DEQ.
post #54 of 57 Old 08-12-2013, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

I tried to look for dealers for NHT. They claim to have some on their website but the search doesn't work. It just says something like, "Please wait, this may take a while." It stays that way for a few hours.
post #55 of 57 Old 08-12-2013, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:

I tried to look for dealers for NHT. They claim to have some on their website but the search doesn't work. It just says something like, "Please wait, this may take a while." It stays that way for a few hours.

Another forum member just ordered the Absolute Zero for $175 each shipped. NHT offers 30-day trial free shipping like Aperion. So you can do in-home audition.
post #56 of 57 Old 08-12-2013, 11:50 AM

Liked: 11
If you don't mind a drive to Austin, you can audition my Ascend CMT-340 SE's.
post #57 of 57 Old 08-15-2013, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

Another forum member just ordered the Absolute Zero for $175 each shipped. NHT offers 30-day trial free shipping like Aperion. So you can do in-home audition.
Thanks. I didn't realize that. That's pretty awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyde01 View Post

If you don't mind a drive to Austin, you can audition my Ascend CMT-340 SE's.
Thanks for offering. If I do come by there, I'll get in touch with you.

As I mentioned earlier, I am going to look at towers first and then at bookshelf+sub. Just from my limited auditions so far, I am starting to like towers better than bookshelf+sub. There are two more store I want to visit to audition. I'll report back after that. Thanks.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Denon Avr 1713 Receiver , Ascend Acoustics Cmt 340 Se Center

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page