How many speakers???????? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-06-2013, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
booga24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 323
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Before buying my car I told myself I wanted luxury car in certain price range, so I narrowed down to BMW, Benz, and Audi. I test drove all three cars and bought the BMW because I felt it was more of driver's car (intimacy between car and driver).

Buying speaker(s) is a different story so many factors to consider, so I want to know how many speaker brands you demo-ed before buying what was the deciding factor (price, pure audiophile sound, speaker placement, WAF, design, and on and on)?
booga24 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 07-06-2013, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Different than cars, but not too different. biggrin.gif

B&W, Benz, Audi, huh?

I prefer Range Rover. biggrin.gif

Why these brands?

Why not Toyota, Honda, Nissan, or Hyundai ? They they great safe cars that dry very well. And Toyota/Lexus, Honda/Acura, and Nissan/Infinity are more reliable and safe than BMW, Benz, Audi, Range Rover, etc.

For me in audio, if I could only choose 3 WELL-KNOWN brands under $25K, they would be Revel, KEF, and B&W.

But then again, why Revel, KEF, B&W when you could get much less expensive speakers like Ascend, Philharmonic, NHT that may sound equivocally just as good?

Just like in cars, there are many factors, not just SQ, which in itself is purely subjective.

Let's face it. People drive BMW, Benz, Audi, Rover, Porsche, etc, not only for their drivability, but also their aesthetic, prestige, and pride of ownership. Some people feel the same about audio as well as anything else in life.
AcuDefTechGuy is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 07-06-2013, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Secret Squirrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest U.S.A.
Posts: 2,253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
When considering higher end expensive speakers the sound is often not what the high price is for. The driver and tweeter components are often no better then cheaper speakers. The expensive looking speaker cabinets are what you're mostly paying for. They're made of MDF on the inside just like cheaper or medium priced speakers are made. I'm not saying that some high end speakers don't have nice components and furniture grade cabinets because some have both. But once you reach a certain price point the return on higher quality sound isn't much if any. It's just about looks and the furniture grade cabinets that your paying for. A good looking speaker cabinet doesn't make it sound any better.
Secret Squirrel is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 07-06-2013, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
booga24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 323
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

Different than cars, but not too different. biggrin.gif

B&W, Benz, Audi, huh?

I prefer Range Rover. biggrin.gif

Why these brands?

Why not Toyota, Honda, Nissan, or Hyundai ? They they great safe cars that dry very well. And Toyota/Lexus, Honda/Acura, and Nissan/Infinity are more reliable and safe than BMW, Benz, Audi, Range Rover, etc.

For me in audio, if I could only choose 3 WELL-KNOWN brands under $25K, they would be Revel, KEF, and B&W.

But then again, why Revel, KEF, B&W when you could get much less expensive speakers like Ascend, Philharmonic, NHT that may sound equivocally just as good?

Just like in cars, there are many factors, not just SQ, which in itself is purely subjective.

Let's face it. People drive BMW, Benz, Audi, Rover, Porsche, etc, not only for their drivability, but also their aesthetic, prestige, and pride of ownership. Some people feel the same about audio as well as anything else in life.

I was looking for an entry level car, and Range Rover was out of my price range (never been a big fun of range anyway). Well they are more reliable but I don't know if they would give the intimacy I get from BMW ) again which was the reason I bought it).

So again how many brands did you demo and why did settle on what you bought??????
booga24 is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 07-06-2013, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
booga24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 323
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post

When considering higher end expensive speakers the sound is often not what the high price is for. The driver and tweeter components are often no better then cheaper speakers. The expensive looking speaker cabinets are what you're mostly paying for. They're made of MDF on the inside just like cheaper or medium priced speakers are made. I'm not saying that some high end speakers don't have nice components and furniture grade cabinets because some have both. But once you reach a certain price point the return on higher quality sound isn't much if any. It's just about looks and the furniture grade cabinets that your paying for. A good looking speaker cabinet doesn't make it sound any better.

Again reasons why I posted the contributing factors, so what did you get and what were your reason? was it looks or quality sound?
booga24 is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 07-06-2013, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Secret Squirrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest U.S.A.
Posts: 2,253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I don't own ultra expensive speakers or would I if I had bottomless pockets. I have demoed some very expensive speakers and I was hoping to be impressed for the $50,000 price tag. I was disappointed in what I heard. They where very nice looking and they should for their price but the sound was nothing earth shattering. I can appreciate nice looking furniture cabinets since I'm into woodworking and I'm also a former automotive/motorcycle painter. I purchased my speakers without being able to listen to them because they aren't sold in stores. I'm not much for speaker auditioning anyway. Speakers can be of good quality and sound fine in a demo but sound bad at your home until you fix the room problems and the calibration. What I wanted in a speaker was high sensitivity and great dynamics. Here are my mains. They where given great reviews by these guys that normally test high end speakers. I have to admit after I got my room problems figured out and got things calibrated my speakers sound better then some of the ultra expensive speakers I have heard in the past. I'm also running quad 15'' subwoofers with this 7.1 system with dedicated amplification. Music sounds live and I have no need to go to a movie theater.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/tested-cerwin-vega-cls-215-loudspeaker/
Secret Squirrel is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 07-08-2013, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
simp1yamazn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 608
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by booga24 View Post

Before buying my car I told myself I wanted luxury car in certain price range, so I narrowed down to BMW, Benz, and Audi. I test drove all three cars and bought the BMW because I felt it was more of driver's car (intimacy between car and driver).

Buying speaker(s) is a different story so many factors to consider, so I want to know how many speaker brands you demo-ed before buying what was the deciding factor (price, pure audiophile sound, speaker placement, WAF, design, and on and on)?

I bought a BMW too and i love it biggrin.gif

As far as speakers speakers are concerned, when I purchased my current speakers I was in a different position than most. I worked for Magnolia A/V which carries speakers from B&W, Sonus Faber (and REL subs), MartinLogan, Definitive Technology, and Energy so obviously I was able to "audition" all of them every day whenever I felt like it. And, with special vendor relationships it was virtually guaranteed that I would find a better value in the typically low-value brick and mortar brands than anywhere else. Here is the order of reasons I ended choosing my MartinLogan Montis:

1. Sound quality. I don't think that there was a specific characteristic that I was looking for. I decided to get the ones that, after a long day at work, I wanted to listen to before heading home. Speakers are very subjective and I simply went with the ones that gave me the most enjoyment while listening.

2. WAF/Design. My wife has a simple theory on speakers. They are all ugly, but MartinLogans are the least ugly. Granted, even if she hated the looks I still would have purchased them but it did make spending the money on them go over more easily. The fact that my wife is OK with them was just an added plus.

Price never really came into the equation for me. I'm certainly not rich, I was working in a retail store after all. For me, buying speakers to stay within a hard budget seemed too restrictive. I'm not loose with money, but spending too little and buying a product you don't really like is, in my mind, extraordinary wasteful. The Montis were a little more than my original budget so I just saved for a few more months to get what I actually wanted.
simp1yamazn is online now  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off