Seeking guidance on best 3.1 Active speakers for US$2500-$2800 - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 121 Old 07-12-2013, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA Beancounter View Post

if the country of origin is influencing your perception of such then there may be an element of racism at play or at least some bias against that country. ...

I do agree with you regarding BMW or Ferrari etc. as the country of origin has a lot to do with the mystique of the brands... I don't think its quite the same with home audio.

I admit it - I do have a bias against that country but am 100% certain its not racism...
its just pure competition and the past defeats...

I find it frustrating that the leaders who can make the macro-economic changes required for the fight to be fair and to give the people a fighting chance by investing in the education and infrastructure needed to really compete ... aren't making those changes and they are busy sucking-up to Wall St. and other lobbying interests and worrying about their own re-elections... (take the gun control debate:... Australia implemented gun control and many politicians sacrificed their careers for it... but most politicians in the US lack any cojones or patriotism while the real patriots are too busy making a living (or making a dying in the uncalled for wars)...

anyways... we all still love our countries - warts and all...

all I'm talking about is the mystique that the country of origin adds to a brand - if I'm looking for a good laptop - I'd go buy a Chinese Lenovo, a good phone a Korean Samsung, a good car a German BMW/Audi - if its wine may be French, Italian, Spanish, Californian, Australian, South African, Chilean etc - its the "terroir" ... Btw: they're bottling Heineken and Budweiser here in India - and would I be able to tell the Dutch/US version from the Indian version apart in a blind taste test... may be not... but it just isn't the same for me anymore.. I now go for Corona - which thankfully is still from Mexico...

and when it comes to speakers - I gez its UK, Denmark & US - in that order?
Nethawk likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 121 Old 07-12-2013, 12:48 PM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnsr View Post

and when it comes to speakers - I gez its UK, Denmark & US - in that order?

I hear you... don't overlook Canada when it comes to speakers though wink.gif... Paradigm, PSB, Totem, Axiom, Energy, I believe the first 4 I mentioned still manufacture locally.
post #63 of 121 Old 07-13-2013, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter

@GTA Beancounter
and when it comes to speakers - UK, Denmark, US, Canada, France, Australia - in that order?

btw: I heard Canadian speakers are cheaper in the US than in Canada... so which Canadian brands should I consider... and if UK or Denmark are the best - and B&W Diamonds are out of my reach.. how are ATC SCM7 (England) for $1K/Pr new, Focal, DALI & DynAudio and any other other brands should I consider?

I forgot to note some exceptions in the "terroir/origin" category... Coca Cola, the quintessential American brand makes its beverages all over the world - but the ones made in the US don't quite measure up to the ones from Mexico or even right here in India... why is that? High Fructose Corn Syrup vs Cane Sugar. Why does Coca Cola use HFCS in the US? Now that's politics...and don't get me started...
post #64 of 121 Old 07-13-2013, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:

I hear you... don't overlook Canada when it comes to speakers though wink.gif... Paradigm, PSB, Totem, Axiom, Energy, I believe the first 4 I mentioned still manufacture locally.

Perhaps assembled in Canada with parts made in China.

I believe PSB and Energy are all China.
post #65 of 121 Old 07-13-2013, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

ATC makes excellent speakers in England. Their $80,000 speakers are made in the same factory as their $1,000 speakers.

So if country of origin is important, I recommend ATC, Focal, and Dynaudio since most people can still afford their lower end speakers. biggrin.gif
post #66 of 121 Old 07-13-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

Perhaps assembled in Canada with parts made in China.

I believe PSB and Energy are all China.
My energy speakers are designed and engineered in Canada but made in China. Not sure about psb. I was curious about totem though, impressive looking speakers, I haven't heard them though
post #67 of 121 Old 07-13-2013, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My energy speakers are designed and engineered in Canada but made in China. Not sure about psb. I was curious about totem though, impressive looking speakers, I haven't heard them though

PSB are also designed in Canada and assembled in China.

Most speakers (except ultra high end) are designed in North America and Europe and assembled in Asia. biggrin.gif

Even if they are "made in North America or Europe", some parts are made in Asia. wink.gif
post #68 of 121 Old 07-13-2013, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Axiom has a factory using their own employees in Asia under continual scrutiny from a supervisor from the main NA factory. They make many of the parts that are shipped over here to be assembled in Ontario. Cabinetry is all done over here & their amps are made here as well.

Their subs are all fully hand made over here, including the drivers. I've toured the factory in Dwight, ON & witnessed all the neat stuff being done there & even went into their large anechoic chamber that is the quietest place that I've ever been in.

I have a house full of Axioms - 11 total - comprising 3 systems that give me great pleasure.

TAM
Stereoguy99 likes this.
post #69 of 121 Old 07-13-2013, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Philharmonic Audio and custom cabinets, made in the USA - Virginia and Washington DC. Chinese food may or may not have been consumed in their making.
bisadh likes this.

post #70 of 121 Old 07-13-2013, 10:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

Philharmonic Audio and custom cabinets, made in the USA - Virginia and Washington DC. Chinese food may or may not have been consumed in their making.

I'm sure the Chinese food was made in America.
post #71 of 121 Old 07-17-2013, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Hi all,

One of the local dealers in Bangalore has recommended the following setup:

Cambridge Audio AZUR 551R ($800)
Tannoy Revolution- Front DC 4T ($850 pr) or Tannoy Mercury V 4 - Front ($ 700 pr)
Tannoy Mercury VR-Surrount ($250 pr)
Tannoy Revolution LCR - Centre ($500) or Tannoy Mercury VC - Centre ($280 pr)

Velodyne Sub woofer Impact 10 (500)

The above includes all customs duties, taxes and installation charges.
Delivery and Cables extra.
Are the prices reasonable?

How is Tannoy as a brand, performance and quality? Where are these made?
post #72 of 121 Old 07-19-2013, 08:50 AM

Liked: 12
800 for the 551R is a great price. It goes for 1150 here in the US...cheapest I've seen is for 1019;open box i think...if you're looking for good stereo and multichannel audio, then the Azur is a great choice. It does fall short on features though...if network connectivity, airplay etc is not something you need and you want your receiver to simply put out good sound, then this would be a great choice....The stereophile review of the Tannoy's praised them hugely. I've heard good things about the Tannoy' Mercury line and considering the price you've quoted for the V4s is not very much different from what it is here, I think the overall package looks like a good buy.
post #73 of 121 Old 07-19-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:

Hi all,

One of the local dealers in Bangalore has recommended the following setup:

Cambridge Audio AZUR 551R ($800)
Tannoy Revolution- Front DC 4T ($850 pr) or Tannoy Mercury V 4 - Front ($ 700 pr)
Tannoy Mercury VR-Surrount ($250 pr)
Tannoy Revolution LCR - Centre ($500) or Tannoy Mercury VC - Centre ($280 pr)

Velodyne Sub woofer Impact 10 (500)

The above includes all customs duties, taxes and installation charges.
Delivery and Cables extra.
Are the prices reasonable?

How is Tannoy as a brand, performance and quality? Where are these made?

That AVR is very nice and I've heard nothing but good things about the Tannoy Revolutions. My only issue would be that sub... an SVS SB - 1000 would outperform it with double the amplification and a 12" driver in a box that is about the same size. The impact 10 and SB-1000 retail at about the same price in North America so I suspect it could be similar where you are.
post #74 of 121 Old 07-19-2013, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I didn't start a BW fan, but now they are among the list of speakers I like. I read that you like 684s and I would encourage you to listen to the 684s vs. the 683s. I would buy the 685 bookshelves + 2 subs any day over 684 + sub. I am extending AcuDef's recommendation.

I don't like Sony receivers personally, but don't have much brand preference beyond what you mentioned. I like the power of the Pioneer SC series, but own a Marantz.

If it hasn't already been said, take a listen to the items you are trying to purchase. It may be good idea to buy used so you can get really nice speakers. If you are going to get taxed for this purchased perhaps you can land an amazing used pair of speakers.

AVR: Marantz 7008 Phono: Pro-Ject Debut III Speakers: BW CMC2 + 2xCM9 + Energy 2xCB-10 (rear)
TV: Panasonic 65ZT60, Samsung 60F5300
post #75 of 121 Old 07-19-2013, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That AVR is very nice and I've heard nothing but good things about the Tannoy Revolutions. My only issue would be that sub... an SVS SB - 1000 would outperform it with double the amplification and a 12" driver in a box that is about the same size. The impact 10 and SB-1000 retail at about the same price in North America so I suspect it could be similar where you are.

Neither sub is adequate for the space he's hoping to fill. I own the SB-1000 and think it's great, but it is in my small office. He needs a much larger ported subwoofer. The big problem will be availability of the better internet-direct manufacturers, which may lead to a more expensive Velodyne.

post #76 of 121 Old 07-19-2013, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you folks for the feedback - will go demo this Tannoy setup and any other brands this week and report back...

I'm concerned that the AZUR 551R doesn't have blutooth - as that is usually how listen to most of my music even in the car... so that is going to be a deal breaker...

not sure when Yamaha will refresh their receiver line - but having blutooth is a big plus and that is why I'm still considering the Sony STR-DN1040 vs STR-DA1800ES
post #77 of 121 Old 07-19-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:

Neither sub is adequate for the space he's hoping to fill. I own the SB-1000 and think it's great, but it is in my small office. He needs a much larger ported subwoofer. The big problem will be availability of the better internet-direct manufacturers, which may lead to a more expensive Velodyne.

I agree but the OP made a statement earlier about being in an apartment and having WAF concerns... I figured an SB-1000 nearfield is probably the best he can get given his previously mentioned constraints.
post #78 of 121 Old 07-19-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you folks for the feedback - will go demo this Tannoy setup and any other brands this week and report back...

I'm concerned that the AZUR 551R doesn't have blutooth - as that is usually how listen to most of my music even in the car... so that is going to be a deal breaker...

not sure when Yamaha will refresh their receiver line - but having blutooth is a big plus and that is why I'm still considering the Sony STR-DN1040 vs STR-DA1800ES

With all due respect, high quality system, Tannoy speakers and bluetooth have no place in the same sentence. Bluetooth is arguably the worst audio transport there is. I'm not saying to dismiss this as one of your requirements, but in parallel I suggest evaluating what you are attempting to accomplish from your android phone and pursue a quality alternative that you can be proud of with your new system. Preferably, perform this evaluation in advance of choosing hardware - it would not be prudent to sacrifice better quality hardware just for bluetooth.

post #79 of 121 Old 07-19-2013, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I agree but the OP made a statement earlier about being in an apartment and having WAF concerns... I figured an SB-1000 nearfield is probably the best he can get given his previously mentioned constraints.

My advice took this into account. He'd have to be practically sitting on the SB-1000 to achieve any benefit. Driving a BMW at 20 MPH isn't much fun. wink.gif

post #80 of 121 Old 07-21-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:

With all due respect, high quality system, Tannoy speakers and bluetooth have no place in the same sentence. Bluetooth is arguably the worst audio transport there is. I'm not saying to dismiss this as one of your requirements, but in parallel I suggest evaluating what you are attempting to accomplish from your android phone and pursue a quality alternative that you can be proud of with your new system. Preferably, perform this evaluation in advance of choosing hardware - it would not be prudent to sacrifice better quality hardware just for bluetooth.

exactly.

if you will be playing music thru android, just use the android app. it allows you to play directly to the receiver. Yamaha certainly has this app.
Or get Sonos, but I'd suggest you do not base your decision around BT.

AVR: Marantz 7008 Phono: Pro-Ject Debut III Speakers: BW CMC2 + 2xCM9 + Energy 2xCB-10 (rear)
post #81 of 121 Old 07-21-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidawgz View Post

exactly.

if you will be playing music thru android, just use the android app. it allows you to play directly to the receiver. Yamaha certainly has this app.
Or get Sonos, but I'd suggest you do not base your decision around BT.

I third this...Non-AptX Bluetooth (most devices don't support AptX which is capable of HD Audio) is possibly worse next only to the crappy FM transmission based device that my friend uses in his car (he has no aux) for audio. While the decision to use it or not is yours and yours alone, it certainly negates nearly every discussion we've had so far about audio quality...
post #82 of 121 Old 07-22-2013, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

ok I realize the BT doesn't come close to delivering the audiophile quality - but all of my music is on my phone/hard-disk as MP3 and it will take forever (meaning never) to build a new collection of CD quality music files...
so I've already compromised on the file format/size and so BT offers the convenience of just coming home and just continuing the same song I was listening to in the car on my way back from work...or the Mobile high Def link promises even more convenience of video playback of "home movies" without first having to download it to my comp/hard-disk

ok so the Android app on Yamaha works the same way as BT?
then is the Yamaha receiver sound quality comparable to the Marantz or Cambridge? which of the Yamaha receiver models would be comparable to the Sony STR-DN1040 or STR-DA1800ES

Why can't some of the better receivers like Marantz, Cambridge, Harman Kardon etc have BT - do they fear offending the sensibilities of the audiophiles by pandering to commoners?

Thanks again folks for all the patient advice...
post #83 of 121 Old 07-22-2013, 07:57 AM

Liked: 11
Have you considered speakers made/assembled in China but in factories that employ only non-chinese workers ?
post #84 of 121 Old 07-22-2013, 01:17 PM

Marantz's receivers have nearly the exact same components as Denon and I own the SR6007 Denon equivalent and I can tell you that the Audio quality is nothing to write home about...most of the changes made to differentiate the two brands' receivers is on the chassis which is a little tougher and nicer looking on the Marantz. I apologize in advance if I've got my fact wrongs but this is what I gathered from the internet and I've seen up close the two models and took a peek inside as well. The Cambridge is on a different level yes. Have you considered an Emotiva UPA-500 (they are sold out of UPA-500s online but you can give them a call and get a refurb unit for $339) and UMC-200 combo?. They ship internationally and they have their summer sale going on at the moment wherein you could get the pair for $940. They sell an optional bluetooth accessory so that ticks off one of your requirements. Unfortunately they do not have any network functionalities though.

To your original question, from my experience Yamaha's provide a nice balance of sound quality and build quality at affordable prices. They are built tough and their consistently rated high with regards to audio quality and now their aventage line offers most of features you'll need. The RX-A820/830 and RX-A1020/1030 should be solid choices. I would also urge you to look at the Sony STR-DA5700ES model which is now available for $699 from an authorized dealer on Ebay. They are also shipping worldwide.
post #85 of 121 Old 07-22-2013, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
This is not a reply to the OP, but to the MP3 experts. Given that all the music will be on MP3 files, are the suggestions overkill? Can premium equipment and speakers make a difference with MP3 files? I'm not saying any of the suggestions are wrong, but what are the limitations of MP3 and at what point are you paying for capabilities you can't hear?
post #86 of 121 Old 07-22-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnacleBill View Post

This is not a reply to the OP, but to the MP3 experts. Given that all the music will be on MP3 files, are the suggestions overkill? Can premium equipment and speakers make a difference with MP3 files? I'm not saying any of the suggestions are wrong, but what are the limitations of MP3 and at what point are you paying for capabilities you can't hear?

Well, MP3 quality is not shabby. You know at some point (before my time) Audiophiles were buying equipment for cassette as a medium. smile.gif It is all relative to what is at your disposal.

Yes, to get the music in its purest form is ideal. Also things can vary from artist to artist. I listen to a little bit of everything, and I don't expect dynamic experience from my pop or hip-hop music.

Quote:

ok I realize the BT doesn't come close to delivering the audiophile quality - but all of my music is on my phone/hard-disk as MP3 and it will take forever (meaning never) to build a new collection of CD quality music files...
so I've already compromised on the file format/size and so BT offers the convenience of just coming home and just continuing the same song I was listening to in the car on my way back from work...or the Mobile high Def link promises even more convenience of video playback of "home movies" without first having to download it to my comp/hard-disk

ok so the Android app on Yamaha works the same way as BT?
then is the Yamaha receiver sound quality comparable to the Marantz or Cambridge? which of the Yamaha receiver models would be comparable to the Sony STR-DN1040 or STR-DA1800ES

Why can't some of the better receivers like Marantz, Cambridge, Harman Kardon etc have BT - do they fear offending the sensibilities of the audiophiles by pandering to commoners?

Thanks again folks for all the patient advice...

Well before you get so hung up on hearing our opinion you should consider your original goals. First the "app" I speak of works very much like Airplay or BT (1:1) connection. You bring up a song and you play it. If you have a ton of songs you can easily use iTunes and Airplay on a receiver. I am not an Apple fanboy by a mile but if thats the easiest solution it is what it is. Android apps can hijack Airplay and make it work for you.

Sonos is fantastic. It is flexible, updatable and works on Android, Apple, PC platforms. I am speaking specifically about the Sonos: Connect for you. This devices has a really well made DAC built in. It has the option to output via Coaxial Audio, Optical Audio or RCA. The system is not 1:1 so you can expand it if you love it. If you didn't look into this when I first mentioned I encourage you to do so. Expensive, but it will answer your problems. You can control this via app, and play songs from the phone, internet radio, steaming services (like Pandora), or a Hard drive. Wireless access for all of it.

I think all receivers have a different sound. Do any of them sound bad to me? Not really any of the major brands. I wouldn't get caught up with sound quality as much as actual power for yours speakers. There are a handful of features here and there that may sway you from one brand to another. Everyone will have a different opinion on these and you will never make a decision if you listen to all of us. If you can't get out to listen to speakers and receivers, just get a popular receiver that you get a good deal on. You won't be disappointed. I personally like all the brands listed above except for Sony non-ES models.

Why wouldn't a premium audio company include BT? Well there's a primary goal of receivers, to drive the speakers. The more functions and features stuffed into an AVR, the price must go up or the quality of some stuff must go down. On top of that, the power supply must drive all these bells and whistles. In the same way separate audio components make for a better audio system, separating some features out makes for a more pure receiver. IMO the receivers that really throw a lot of power out and have every common feature are $2k and up.

post #87 of 121 Old 07-23-2013, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
+1 for Aperion

http://www.aperionaudio.com/

+1 for SVS

http://www.svsound.com/

The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll whisper "no."
post #88 of 121 Old 07-24-2013, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Folks,
I'm considering the following receiver Integra DTR-30.5 (only feature missing is front HDMI input)
Any reviews and feedback on the above?

another major question for me is:
I will be playing all of my movies (avi, divx, mkv, mpg, mp4) or music (mp3) from a hard-disk connected
- via USB... directly to the TV (LG 42LV4400)
- or via HDMI from my PC played through VLC media player)

After getting the receiver if I were to connect the same to the receiver (USB/HDMI) - will the "decoders" in the receiver function the way they are intended to?

If the hard-disk were connected directly to the TV - will the ARC bring the sound to the receiver for amplification/distribution?

I realize this is the speaker thread - but there seems to be no-one responding to questions on the Receivers thread .. could someone please help me understand?
Thanks again
post #89 of 121 Old 07-24-2013, 05:23 AM

Hook the setup up via HDMI, that way the PC does the decoding for the file formats. The VLC player is capable of reading many more video types than a TV will thru USB. The receiver will function as intended. I use my ASUS transformer tablet using HDMI to play Google All Access all the time.
No, ARC (which is already unreliable) will not play USB input back thru ARC.

HDMI hookup will also serve to allow your music files from the computer to play in their digital form = best sound quality for your MP3s.

All I know about Integra is that it is Onkyo's high end, sorry. Haven't used one yet.

post #90 of 121 Old 07-24-2013, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter

another question when setting-up a 5.1channel - is there a way to somehow use the TV's built-in speakers as the center channel?
this would greatly improve the WAF - and also the budget I have to put down on the floor standers...

also would the B&W 805Diamond be sufficient as the main L-R floor standers?
Reply Speakers

Tags
Marantz Sr8002 Surround Receiver , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Boston Acoustics A 360 Dual 6 5 Inch Woofer Three Way Floor Standing Speaker Each Gloss Black , Psb Speakers Image T5 Tower , Psb Image T6 Tower Floorstanding Speaker , Kef Q500wa Floor Standing Speaker , Canton Chrono 507 2 Standing Speaker , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver
Gear in this thread - Q500wa by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page