I'm new to the forum - but have been reading some of the threads and FAQs - which naturally leaves me a lot more informed and confused...
I'm an American expat presently in India and am looking to setup a home theater with a budget of about $600 towards the subs and about $2200 towards the speakers.
The above budget is based on the best/sale prices in the US. The piece of **** Indian govt – taxes these things to death, therefore including customs duty and transportation etc I might end-up spending close to $7000.
I'm not an audiophile - but do want a high quality system that I can be proud of and show my sensible and discerning taste. I realize there is a best buy in each price band and the improvement in quality vs price gets narrower as you go up the price ladder.
We get what we pay for but with some brands we end-up paying more for their marketing, brand equity and over-heads than you do for the components, performance and quality. I sometimes find it helpful to compare a brand’s position to the relative brand positions of various cars brands – For. Eg. Rolls Royce, Bugatti, Ferrari, Lamborghini etc are great but less than 0.001% of us can afford them – whereas the BMW 3 Series or the Subaru WRX etc are the perfect brands with good quality, styling, technology etc offered at a reasonable price point (IMHO).
I would like to hear the forum’s opinion on which Subs and Speakers are notionally equivalent to the BMW 3 series
I've narrowed down some requirements:
1. Need only a 5.1ch setup - I am fairly certain I'll never need a 7.1 setup or two zone ability.
2. The surrounds speakers will be added later - preferable wireless and active...Is there any point in considering wireless speakers for the surround speakers - as this will greatly increase the WAF. Is the potential loss of fidelity worth it? If so which brands and models do I consider and which receivers or attachments do I need for this?
3. All videos & music will be played via a desktop/laptop with HDMI out. I do not plan to use a Blu-ray player as it is already outdated with the new 4k player being released. Besides who has the space to store plain old discs - when I can have about 2000 movies on my 4TB harddisk.
4. Is THX-certified essential?
5. WAF: "Anything you want but not too loud, not too big and not too ugly..."
6. All speakers have to be rated for 220volt/50hz supply
7. The living room is about 15' x 16' & is open to the dining area which is 11' x 11'. Its a high rise apartment with good noise protection but need to consider WAF and NAF.
8. Prefer speakers that are actually made in North America, Europe or Australia...
Some brands of speakers I've been considering:
1. AVI, PMC, ATC
2. Genelec, Focal, Mackies, ADAM, Event
3. DynAudio, RCF, Behringer, M-Audio, KRK
Is the ranking/bracket about right?
any other makers? Which specific models?
I apologize for the long-winded post and thank you all for reading and never can thank you enough for any tips and guidance.