Home Theater Speakers for the Garage - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-07-2013, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My parents have gotten a hand-me-down projector from my sister, and are planning to use it for watching movies in the garage. I'm trying to figure out what kind of speakers we should use for our new home theater.
I think because the walls and ceiling are sheet rock, and floor is cement, the sound from the speakers will reverbiate too much. We don't really have much space for anything that will dampen the sound, so I'm wondering if some speakers will sound better than others and not echo as much? We could possibly put a rug in front of the speakers but that's about all we could do to help it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-07-2013, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
And the million dollar question- what is your budget? You could also get some DIY acoustic treatments for the walls to help absorb some of the reflected sound.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-07-2013, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Budget is on the cheap side. If there are speakers that will sound clear without needing to put up stuff to absorb the noise, then that is what would work best (not sure my dad wants to make a lot of adjustments to the garage.. that's the reason I am looking for speakers that will not echo too much)... there isn't room on the opposite wall for anything. (there is an air handler there).
With the projector's built in speaker the audio sounds like crap. You can't hear what they are saying on the movies. So we need speakers.
BTW the dimensions of the garage are 24' x 24'
post #4 of 8 Old 07-07-2013, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 1304
without a budget its pretty hard to recommend speakers and how many 2? or are you looking for a larger system like 5.1and what will you be powering them with

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #5 of 8 Old 07-07-2013, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
There are no magic speakers that will fix a room with acoustic problems. If the room sounds bad any speaker put in the room will sound bad.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-07-2013, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1356
Line arrays have very tight vertical dispersion, which gives minimal early reflections off the floors and walls, so they would be far better than point source speakers. You probably would still need to do some wall treatment. Some carpet remnants would do the trick.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-07-2013, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher50 View Post

without a budget its pretty hard to recommend speakers and how many 2? or are you looking for a larger system like 5.1and what will you be powering them with

I think 2 speakers would be good (I don't know), we don't have a lot of room for surround sound. Not trying to do anything amazing, just enough to have a nice little set up for watching movies.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-08-2013, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by starggold View Post

My parents have gotten a hand-me-down projector from my sister, and are planning to use it for watching movies in the garage. I'm trying to figure out what kind of speakers we should use for our new home theater.

I think these would be absolutely perfect! – And, I bet you could pick some up on eBay at a great price.

I
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page