Next Set of Speakers - After massive disappointment. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 32 Old 07-07-2013, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello Folks,

After starting another thread I decided to get a set of Pendragon Tekton speakers. So after waiting over 3 months for a set of front speakers from Tekton Pendragons I decided to cancel my order. I was tired of dealing with numerous excuses and often times forgetting what I ordered and changing reasons. All from my painter isn't ready to being told they are almost done and then randomly being told I don't have any more tweeters... finally had enough.

So this leave me back to my search for another set of great front speakers. I want to spend no more than 3k on my front two speakers and I will build the rest as I go. So judging by the budget I would be fair to say for a 5.1 system around 6-7k would be a fair assumption not including the nice receiver I already bought that I haven't been able to use.

Any suggestions and reasoning would be appreciated greatly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 07-08-2013, 01:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 76
Do you specifically want to stay with high-efficiency designs?

Given the reputation for sound and inability to deliver product: I'm tempted to start my own business marketing a Tekton clone. Farm out the cabinet making locally, and assemble and ship the final units. How hard could it be (assuming I can get my hands on the crossover schematic for the already designed speaker).

(edit: Looks like his tweeters are proprietary. Ahh well)
(second edit: Despite the claim of proprietary-ness, the tweeters look an awful lot like http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/ring-radiator-tweeters/sb-acoustics-sb29rdcn-c000-4-neo-magnet-ring-dome-tweeter/)
post #3 of 32 Old 07-08-2013, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

Nope actually I think I am more partial to just really good speakers. I don't mind getting a amplifier if I need to.
post #4 of 32 Old 07-08-2013, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

Nope actually I think I am more partial to just really good speakers. I don't mind getting a amplifier if I need to.
post #5 of 32 Old 07-08-2013, 02:21 AM

Liked: 19
So very many "very good speakers" to choose from.
Of course it helps to know how you will be spending time with them.
Music, Movies, Gaming, TV ect.

How big an area, how far you will be from them.
The more info the better suggestions you will get.
usual suspects are,
JTR, Ascend, Kef, Klipsch (DIY if you are so inclined)
Salk of course and many many more.

If you have an opportunity to listen to any of these brands (or others)
preferably in your home, that would be the ultimate way to decide
which choice is the right one.

Its too bad about your original choice because they seem
to have a lot going going for them, according to owners.
But as they say, plenty of fish in the sea!

Happy fishing

post #6 of 32 Old 07-08-2013, 03:53 AM

Liked: 33
I'd say give the Arx A5 towers a look. I'll offer a heavily biased endorsement.

Arcam AVR300, Panny BDT-500, Toshiba SD-9200 CD transport, Vizio XVT 55" LED/LCD (full direct-backlit w/ local dimming), Arx A5 & A3rx-c Mains, Arx A2rx-c center, HSU VTF-15h, BJC ten white w/ ultrasonically welded connectors.
post #7 of 32 Old 07-08-2013, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psylacus View Post

+
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkzy56 View Post

If you have an opportunity to listen to any of these brands (or others)
preferably in your home, that would be the ultimate way to decide
which choice is the right one.

These are within your budget; are widely regarded by pros and consumers as excellent speakers; have reasonably good sensitivity; you can demo them in your own home; and, I think importantly for you, are from an established, well respected company.

Ascend Sierra Tower with RAAL ribbon tweeter upgrade...
  • Approx. $2700 - $2800 per pair (shipped).
  • 30 day money back guarantee.
  • Comprehensive measurements published on website.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/SRT/srt.html
post #8 of 32 Old 07-08-2013, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

Hello Folks,

After starting another thread I decided to get a set of Pendragon Tekton speakers. So after waiting over 3 months for a set of front speakers from Tekton Pendragons I decided to cancel my order. I was tired of dealing with numerous excuses and often times forgetting what I ordered and changing reasons. All from my painter isn't ready to being told they are almost done and then randomly being told I don't have any more tweeters... finally had enough.

So this leave me back to my search for another set of great front speakers. I want to spend no more than 3k on my front two speakers and I will build the rest as I go. So judging by the budget I would be fair to say for a 5.1 system around 6-7k would be a fair assumption not including the nice receiver I already bought that I haven't been able to use.

Any suggestions and reasoning would be appreciated greatly!

Revel F208 (maybe a little higher than your $3K budget with a good deal) or F206 are excellent floor standing options. You would probably want to look at an amp with those, though. I would also look at the offerings from RBH.

Another speaker within your budget would be the Phase Technology PC9.5: http://phasetech.com/products.cfm?category_id=Tower&product_id=PC-9.5 100% American Made and an incredible speaker.
post #9 of 32 Old 07-08-2013, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Ok so in request to room size and use.

The room is about 12 feet or so wide and probably 20 feet in length. So a fairly large size space and I plan on moving to a bigger home in the next year. I would say I am a mix of everything.

If I had a do a percentage of my entertainment.
Music (Rock,Classical Music, Some Modern Metal) - 25%
Movies -20%
Gaming 25%
General HG/Food - 30%

For me I would say sound stage and clarity are most important. I can get a sub later on for more thunder smile.gif.

Thanks everyone!
post #10 of 32 Old 07-08-2013, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 234
I would get bookshelves like the Revel M106 and get dual subs. Towers are basically bookshelves atop woofers and the bass from these woofers are far inferior to that of subs from Funk, Rythmik, HSU, PSA, SVS, Velodyne, JL Audio, etc. You can even place the bookshelves atop subs using stands to create a modular tower system.
BufordTJustice likes this.
post #11 of 32 Old 07-09-2013, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Ok to go visit Sierra to check out their towers. In regards to the bookshelves vs towers. I have heard some people say skip the towers and just get a sub and book shelves. But what if I get both?

Also, I see the Salk Songbird SuperCharged versions, anyone compare these with the Sierra Towers with tweeter upgrade?
post #12 of 32 Old 07-09-2013, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Paradigm Signature S8 v.3, a good foundation for a 7.1 Sig system?. I always play native w/o any additional processing or sub and the bass is great.

There will be little room left for disappointment even if you will have to eat from the farmer's market afterwards.
post #13 of 32 Old 07-09-2013, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpaule View Post

Paradigm Signature S8 v.3, a good foundation for a 7.1 Sig system?. I always play native w/o any additional processing or sub and the bass is great.

I think you are way over $3 grand with S8s. If the budget were there: I'd go for Salk Veracitys (the new thin ones or the HT2-TLs before I'd get the S8s (I say having owned Sigs and presently owning Salks).
post #14 of 32 Old 07-09-2013, 04:42 PM

Liked: 17
I would vote for either the Ascend Sierra towers (Ascend is known for their exceptional clarity and although I haven't heard this particular model, they are rated exceedingly well). Another brand I would equally endorse are Salk speakers- they have a lot of offerings but I'd look at their SongSeries or Veracity Series. If I was in the market for ~ $3500 speakers, these two would definitely be on my short list.
Nethawk likes this.
post #15 of 32 Old 07-11-2013, 02:03 AM - Thread Starter

I actually live quite close to Ascend I called to have a demo before I moved to Utah (Salt Lake City) but they were completely sold out, all the way down to their demo units. Anyone in Utah that has either some Salks or the Sierra Towers.

Anyone in Utah that has time for some Demo's smile.gif!

Any other suggestions anyone new wink.gif!
post #16 of 32 Old 07-11-2013, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

If you drop an email to Jim Salk: he can likely hook you up with an owner willing to demo.
post #17 of 32 Old 07-12-2013, 04:35 AM

Have you considered ZU Audio speakers ?
They are in Ogden , Utah ?
post #18 of 32 Old 07-12-2013, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post

+
These are within your budget; are widely regarded by pros and consumers as excellent speakers; have reasonably good sensitivity; you can demo them in your own home; and, I think importantly for you, are from an established, well respected company.

Ascend Sierra Tower with RAAL ribbon tweeter upgrade...
  • Approx. $2700 - $2800 per pair (shipped).
  • 30 day money back guarantee.
  • Comprehensive measurements published on website.4gye372

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/SRT/srt.html
post #19 of 32 Old 07-13-2013, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 340
... and unless I'm missing something, they ^^^ have an extraordinarily benign impedance/phase plot:

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/SRT/srtmeas.html
post #20 of 32 Old 07-13-2013, 04:30 PM

I will throw another option out there in that price range. How about the Philharmonic Audio 2 or 3. I am currently in the same situation as you and am considering the Ascend towers, Salk SCST, and Philharmonic 2's. I wish I could demo some in my area. From all my research I have done so far though I am sure either of the 3 would be a good choice. I think I am leaning in the direction of the Phil's though maybe just a little more bang for the buck IMO.
post #21 of 32 Old 07-13-2013, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malinois1 View Post

I will throw another option out there in that price range. How about the Philharmonic Audio 2 or 3. I am currently in the same situation as you and am considering the Ascend towers, Salk SCST, and Philharmonic 2's. I wish I could demo some in my area. From all my research I have done so far though I am sure either of the 3 would be a good choice. I think I am leaning in the direction of the Phil's though maybe just a little more bang for the buck IMO.

The Phil3s would be just a tad out of his spec'd price-range, as are the SCSTs (the ST-TL however....).

In theory: The Phil2 should should like the Salk SS8. In my experience: I prefer the midrange on the Salk lines (having owned or extensively auditioned ST, SCST, and SS8 and owning Phil2s)

Preference aside: you won't go wrong with either.
malinois1 likes this.
post #22 of 32 Old 07-13-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLove View Post

The Phil3s would be just a tad out of his spec'd price-range, as are the SCSTs (the ST-TL however....).

In theory: The Phil2 should should like the Salk SS8. In my experience: I prefer the midrange on the Salk lines (having owned or extensively auditioned ST, SCST, and SS8 and owning Phil2s)

Preference aside: you won't go wrong with either.

Thanks for your insight having heard the above speakers. I sure wish there was a way I could demo these speakers locally so I might know which I would prefer. I am sure some might prefer direct sound from the mids as opposed to the open back mids of the Phils and vise-versa. I am sure however, that either would sound much better than my current Martin Logan Motion 12's. These I only paid $500 for the pair though so really not a fair comparison. When I have all the money saved up I guess I will have time to make the decision then. Like you said though I am sure there is no wrong decision between these and much better than any of my local B&M offerings.
post #23 of 32 Old 09-23-2013, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

I know this is a bit of a resurrection. I have moved now or utah. I am looking at Sierra towers or perhaps some Salk sound birds or something similar. Looking to see if anyone in Salt lake city area would be willing to let me listen to them smile.gif
post #24 of 32 Old 10-05-2013, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1364
Did you get any response to your request? If you're still maybe considering book shelves, have you given Polk Audio any thought? The LSiM 703 does put out a surprisingly amount of bass and offers a butter and cream sound in music and movies.

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
post #25 of 32 Old 10-05-2013, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

I know this is a bit of a resurrection. I have moved now or utah. I am looking at Sierra towers or perhaps some Salk sound birds or something similar. Looking to see if anyone in Salt lake city area would be willing to let me listen to them smile.gif

Vapor Cirrus Blacks ($4,000) were preffered s over the Salk Soundscape 10 ($14,000).

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?225092-Audio-sound-off-Songtower-vs-Cirrus

www.vaporsound.com
post #26 of 32 Old 10-05-2013, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1364
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIM101 View Post

Vapor Cirrus Blacks ($4,000) were preffered by top engineers of speakers over the Salk Soundscape 10 ($14,000) 10 out of 10 times.

www.vaporsound.com

The OP had this to say in his opening post;

I want to spend no more than 3k on my front two speakers

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
post #27 of 32 Old 10-05-2013, 09:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Choosy mothers choose Jif.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #28 of 32 Old 10-05-2013, 09:29 PM

I'm starting to seriously consider the Ascend Sierra towers myself. I was leaning in the direction of the DefTech Mythos XTR-60 because I wanted something sleek and wall-mountable, but the impression I'm getting is that for a similar price I can get towers that blow them out of the water.

However, I'll have to buy them and try them in my home because the nearest dealer is in Los Angeles, I believe (and I'm in Vegas).
post #29 of 32 Old 10-05-2013, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Psb synchrony speakers are supposed to be excellent. : http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/synchrony.

Edit. Might be a little steep considering your budget. The step.down imagine line is also highly regarded : http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/imagine

post #30 of 32 Old 10-06-2013, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

Choosy mothers choose Jif.

I don't know, man.

I prefer Peter Pan Peanut butter. eek.gif

It sounds better too. biggrin.gif

I think some people actually prefer Bose over all these speakers. What do you think? biggrin.gif
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page