Please help me pick speakers my wife will approve :) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 07-07-2013, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
avalanche208's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone, my wife and I recently bought a new house, and my old speakers will not work in the living room, so I am trying to find a replacement set of speakers that will look really good in the room, and sound as similar to my old speakers (or better) as possible. My old system was this:

2x Polk Audio Monitor 70s for front L & R
2x Polk Audio Monitor 40s bridged together for the center channel
4x Polk Audio R15 for rear and side speakers
1x Advent 12 inch ASW1200 sub
Yamaha RX-V1700
We watch about 50% tv (from plex on a roku 3), 25% movies, and 25% music

I am not an audiophile, but I have always really loved the sound of Polk Audio speakers, I think it is considered "warm" and I do not really care for "bright" sounds if that makes sense. I still own all of the old system and plan on reusing the receiver, but my new criteria is as follows:

They need to be small enough to hang on the walls around the tv
I want them to sound as large and full as possible. I love how clear voices sound with my old system.
They need to be around $2000 or less, but I can wait a little longer and go higher if possible.

I have been looking at reviews and I really like the look of the Definitive Technologies ProCinema 1000, and I have also considered just going with the cheap Energy Take Classic system as well. I am currently using the system that i had in our old bedroom, and it just isn't working well in this new large living room, it is a sony ht-is100 with the tiny 1 inch speakers.

This is the layout of the new living room. I have measured and I have about 6 inches above the tv, and about 8 inches to the left and right of the tv on the walls. I think the Definitive Technologies ProCinema 1000 system will be about the right size, however I want to hear from you what the best options are.



and here is the speakers I already own
avalanche208 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 29 Old 07-07-2013, 11:27 PM
 
Brian323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
For home theatre I'd go witith the Hsu's. For music and aesthetic purposes' I'd go with the B&W's.
Brian323 is offline  
post #3 of 29 Old 07-08-2013, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,630
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 455
You aren't going to get comparable sound going with a satellite system like the ProCinema or Take Classics. Definitive technology does have some good on-wall options, look up the Mythos series, I have heard them and they do sound good.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Transmaniacon is online now  
post #4 of 29 Old 07-08-2013, 07:33 AM
Member
 
nodnerb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Actually, most people describe polks speakers as "bright" rather than "warm".
nodnerb is offline  
post #5 of 29 Old 07-08-2013, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
67jason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodnerb View Post

Actually, most people describe polks speakers as "bright" rather than "warm".
actually it depends on the Polk speaker in question. I would call the monitors nuetral to slightly warm. The rtia series somewhat bright but not in a bad way...good detail for ht. The lsi series would be called laid back and warm....so you see blanket statements don't always apply. wink.gif
jm86wvu likes this.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
67jason is offline  
post #6 of 29 Old 07-08-2013, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
avalanche208's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you all for the comments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodnerb View Post

Actually, most people describe polks speakers as "bright" rather than "warm".
I may have used the wrong terminology for the polk speakers, sorry about that. I always thought that bright described horn speakers such as the klipsch ones, and I do not really care for the sound of those.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

You aren't going to get comparable sound going with a satellite system like the ProCinema or Take Classics. Definitive technology does have some good on-wall options, look up the Mythos series, I have heard them and they do sound good.
I know I will probably not be able to get anything quite as good as a good set of towers, I simply want the best sound that I can get, while staying around the size of the pro cinema system or smaller. Are the Mythos system what you would recommend over anything else? I just basically want something that is as clear as possible, and sounds very full, similar to how my old polk audio monitors sounded. I also really enjoyed the way the treble sounded with the Polks, it seems like it is not very harsh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian323 View Post

For home theatre I'd go witith the Hsu's. For music and aesthetic purposes' I'd go with the B&W's.
I did look into the HSU speakers, and they do look nice, however I guess I am wanting something a little less obtrusive. It seems like large square speakers like those just don't look right hung directly on the wall, they look better when placed on a shelf, and I unfortunately do not have the shelf space available for them.
avalanche208 is offline  
post #7 of 29 Old 07-08-2013, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
avalanche208's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

actually it depends on the Polk speaker in question. I would call the monitors nuetral to slightly warm. The rtia series somewhat bright but not in a bad way...good detail for ht. The lsi series would be called laid back and warm....so you see blanket statements don't always apply. wink.gif

Ok, I think that is what I thought about them. I just love the way they sound with both movies and music, and you can listen to them very loudly without it hurting your ears. I am basically wanting as close to that sound was possible, in the smallest package, so I guess what I am asking is what are the best sounding speakers that I can afford that will be as small as the Procinema system, or smaller.

My wife wants me to get the Bose system, but I know better than that. smile.gif
avalanche208 is offline  
post #8 of 29 Old 07-08-2013, 08:53 AM
Member
 
nodnerb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

actually it depends on the Polk speaker in question. I would call the monitors nuetral to slightly warm. The rtia series somewhat bright but not in a bad way...good detail for ht. The lsi series would be called laid back and warm....so you see blanket statements don't always apply. wink.gif

I was referring to the monitors specifically. In my travels it always seems most people consider the monitors/tsi line bright. But, I could be mistaken.
nodnerb is offline  
post #9 of 29 Old 07-08-2013, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
GIEGAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,203
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Welcome to AVS!

These are an outstanding high performance small speaker that meet your stated needs:



PSB Imagine mini + mini c ...
  • Several colours available for the bride to choose from. smile.gif
  • Wall mountable with custom swivel bracket.
  • The mini c is 6" high.
  • They'll absolutely slaughter any Bose system. biggrin.gif


http://www.psbspeakers.com/content/130118083209-PSB_Imagine_mini_Broch_2011_LowRes.pdf
GIEGAR is offline  
post #10 of 29 Old 07-08-2013, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,630
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalanche208 View Post

I know I will probably not be able to get anything quite as good as a good set of towers, I simply want the best sound that I can get, while staying around the size of the pro cinema system or smaller. Are the Mythos system what you would recommend over anything else? I just basically want something that is as clear as possible, and sounds very full, similar to how my old polk audio monitors sounded. I also really enjoyed the way the treble sounded with the Polks, it seems like it is not very harsh.

I have not heard a lot of on-wall speakers, but I have heard the DefTechs and they sounded good. I own some of the Polk Monitors, but it has been a while since I have played them and could not make an accurate comparison. The DefTechs did not seem bright to me, but each person hears differently. See if you can find a dealer in your area and have a listen.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Transmaniacon is online now  
post #11 of 29 Old 07-08-2013, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
avalanche208's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post

Welcome to AVS!

These are an outstanding high performance small speaker that meet your stated needs:



PSB Imagine mini + mini c ...
  • Several colours available for the bride to choose from. smile.gif
  • Wall mountable with custom swivel bracket.
  • The mini c is 6" high.
  • They'll absolutely slaughter any Bose system. biggrin.gif


http://www.psbspeakers.com/content/130118083209-PSB_Imagine_mini_Broch_2011_LowRes.pdf
I really love the look of those, but wow those are expensive! haha. I was thinking that whatever speakers I decided to get, I would order the center channel and test it for a week or so to see how i like them, but the center alone is $779, so I will have to wait a while. Would you say that these are worth the price difference between them and the definitive technologies speakers? the reason I am asking is because there really aren't many places around here to listen to high end speakers, I would have to drive an hour to the nearest best buy, and they don't have anything like this in stock. I think I may order a def tech pro center 1000 or 2000 from amazon and test it for a while, do you know of anywhere that I could order a psb mini c to test it for a while as well? Would you recommend the PSB sub to go with them as well, or should I go with something else? thanks for the help!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

I have not heard a lot of on-wall speakers, but I have heard the DefTechs and they sounded good. I own some of the Polk Monitors, but it has been a while since I have played them and could not make an accurate comparison. The DefTechs did not seem bright to me, but each person hears differently. See if you can find a dealer in your area and have a listen.
I think I will order a pro center 1000 and just test it for a while. I may have to drive down to florida and see what they sound like with a full system. thank you for the help!
avalanche208 is offline  
post #12 of 29 Old 07-08-2013, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,630
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Crutchfield sells PSB speakers and they have a 60-day return policy.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Transmaniacon is online now  
post #13 of 29 Old 07-08-2013, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
LastButNotLeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 08077
Posts: 4,776
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalanche208 View Post

I think I will order a pro center 1000 and just test it for a while. I may have to drive down to florida and see what they sound like with a full system. thank you for the help!

You might be better off starting with left and right and trying a "phantom center" first. You certainly have more room for them than the center, and it may work out perfectly well for you. If not, you can then get the center that matches them, rather than start with a center.


Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
LastButNotLeast is offline  
post #14 of 29 Old 07-08-2013, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
avalanche208's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

Crutchfield sells PSB speakers and they have a 60-day return policy.
Awesome, that is good to know, I did not realize they have a return policy for just trying them, thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

You might be better off starting with left and right and trying a "phantom center" first. You certainly have more room for them than the center, and it may work out perfectly well for you. If not, you can then get the center that matches them, rather than start with a center.
I may do that, the reason I said center is because I am mostly concerned with the way the voice will sound when watching tv and movies, and I can setup the pro center 1000 at my parents house if for some reason I do not like it and I cannot return it. They have a bose acoustimass 15 from many years ago, and I am impressed with the way it handles tv and movies (their tv has no speakers, they use the bose constantly) but they could use a better center speaker.

I just wish those columns next to the fireplace were hollow, because I could figure out some way to put my monitors inside of them and put a fabric grill on the front, but my wife won't let me tear apart our new house just yet tongue.gif
avalanche208 is offline  
post #15 of 29 Old 07-08-2013, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
NewHTbuyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Denver
Posts: 537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
PSB speakers are a good option. Other ones that have gotten good user and professional reviews are the Paradigm MilleniaOne speakers which are $250 each retail. You could get five of those. The matching sub is way overpriced though, so I would avoid that and just get a good sub from and Internet direct company. One user recommended the Monitor Audio shadow on wall speakers. You could check those out also.

NewHTbuyer is offline  
post #16 of 29 Old 07-08-2013, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
avalanche208's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Should I look into any other speakers as well? Like the Polk Audio Blackstone? or anything from cambridge audio? or Mirage? I also noticed that PSB has the image b4 speakers that are the right size, are they comparable to the imagine minis? Thanks again!
avalanche208 is offline  
post #17 of 29 Old 07-08-2013, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
LastButNotLeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 08077
Posts: 4,776
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalanche208 View Post


Awesome, that is good to know, I did not realize they have a return policy for just trying them, thanks!
I may do that, the reason I said center is because I am mostly concerned with the way the voice will sound when watching tv and movies, and I can setup the pro center 1000 at my parents house if for some reason I do not like it and I cannot return it. They have a bose acoustimass 15 from many years ago, and I am impressed with the way it handles tv and movies (their tv has no speakers, they use the bose constantly) but they could use a better center speaker.

I just wish those columns next to the fireplace were hollow, because I could figure out some way to put my monitors inside of them and put a fabric grill on the front, but my wife won't let me tear apart our new house just yet tongue.gif

A "better" center speaker will sound very strange as sound moves from one side to the other (good left - better center - good right). That's why the usual recommendation is to get all three of one set at the same time. A "phantom center" actually sounds more natural under those circumstances. You might want to try it for fun with the speakers you have.

And it wouldn't surprise me if those columns are hollow. wink.gif


Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
LastButNotLeast is offline  
post #18 of 29 Old 07-08-2013, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
avalanche208's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHTbuyer View Post

PSB speakers are a good option. Other ones that have gotten good user and professional reviews are the Paradigm MilleniaOne speakers which are $250 each retail. You could get five of those. The matching sub is way overpriced though, so I would avoid that and just get a good sub from and Internet direct company. One user recommended the Monitor Audio shadow on wall speakers. You could check those out also.

I must have missed this when I posted a minute ago. Thanks, I am looking into those now. You sound like you have dealt with PSB before, I am wondering if I can get the image b4s of b5s or even b6s because it looks like they would fit, and they are a lot cheaper, and then pair them with the imagine mini c center, due to its size? thanks!
avalanche208 is offline  
post #19 of 29 Old 07-08-2013, 10:37 AM
Senior Member
 
Petden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
It sounds to me like compromises will need to be made. Tiny speakers are limited by by very small drivers which don't usually have a very good frequency response. The ones that do are quite expensive because there really aren't too many good options out there. If you can look at speakers that have slightly larger driver say in the 5" range you should be able to get much better quality.

Another thing to consider is smaller speakers require better usually larger subs. The sub will need to have a extended frequency response, usually up to 120-130hz and at this point you run the risk of bass localization which is a fancy term for being able to localize the subwoofer. This not a good thing.

Here are some options
B&W 686 $480/pair
B&W CM1 $$1000/pair
Focal 705 $380/pair
Kef Q100 $500/pair
Petden is offline  
post #20 of 29 Old 07-08-2013, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
walterappleby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 590
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 76
I had similar WAF factors to deal with and I ended up with the JBL L820's for L/R, LC2 center and L810's as surrounds. They are all wall mountable and fall within your price range. The L820's and LC2 utilize 6" drivers and get down to 55hz. You can certainly get things that are smaller or go lower, but not often both.

It's just something else for you to consider.

http://www.jbl.com/estore/jbl/us/landing/productLanding.jsp?catId=cat10009&question=&pageSize=1000&trail=1002%3Acat10009%3A5008%3AStudio+L%3A5007%3AWall-mountable&sort=-price&_requestid=178837

You can do better on price than buying direct from JBL... but that's a good link for info to get started if you want to consider these.

walterappleby is offline  
post #21 of 29 Old 07-08-2013, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
KidHorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Derwood, Maryland
Posts: 2,965
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 239
I wouldn't get wall mountable speakers. Instead I would put up some shelves for the speakers. It will allow you to get much better speakers. Since the walls for the speakers are at an angle to the fireplace, get some triangular shaped shelves that will create a flat surface relative to the fireplace. Buy some good maple from Home Depot or Lowes and have them cut it for you. Have your wife pick the stain color or paint color and you should be good to go. If you stain, use a coat of glossy polyurethane. You can have them cut some small pieces of trim (maybe 2"x1") to put under the shelves along the wall for support. Have them cut a triangular edge for you.

Or if you fell really adventurous, you can get some good molding to place on the edge of the shelves. Place it a little higher the the edge to give the shelves a little lip to keep things from falling off. Paint it the same color as your current trim and it will look great.

If you have basic skills, you should be able to do this easily.

As far as speakers go, I can't recommend anything since I have no idea what your wife considers good looking. I have some KEF xq speakers in mahogany finish that my wife and I think are fantastic looking.
KidHorn is offline  
post #22 of 29 Old 07-08-2013, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
avalanche208's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petden View Post

It sounds to me like compromises will need to be made. Tiny speakers are limited by by very small drivers which don't usually have a very good frequency response. The ones that do are quite expensive because there really aren't too many good options out there. If you can look at speakers that have slightly larger driver say in the 5" range you should be able to get much better quality.

Another thing to consider is smaller speakers require better usually larger subs. The sub will need to have a extended frequency response, usually up to 120-130hz and at this point you run the risk of bass localization which is a fancy term for being able to localize the subwoofer. This not a good thing.

Here are some options
B&W 686 $480/pair
B&W CM1 $$1000/pair
Focal 705 $380/pair
Kef Q100 $500/pair
Thanks, I will look at those. I understand that it will never sound as good, however I just want to get the best sound I can get with my budget. I understand what you mean about the localization of the subwoofer, my current system that I am using temporarily is one of those sony systems with the 1 inch speakers, and to make it sound better they put an 8 inch down firing woofer in the subwoofer enclosure, and a 6.5 inch midrange speaker facing upward, and it makes you really notice where it is sitting, so to make it sound a little better i actually crammed it behind the tv on the shelf on the wall, so at least it is coming from the right direction. Either way, the little speakers don't sound very good, which is why I am in the market for something better smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by walterappleby View Post

I had similar WAF factors to deal with and I ended up with the JBL L820's for L/R, LC2 center and L810's as surrounds. They are all wall mountable and fall within your price range. The L820's and LC2 utilize 6" drivers and get down to 55hz. You can certainly get things that are smaller or go lower, but not often both.

It's just something else for you to consider.

http://www.jbl.com/estore/jbl/us/landing/productLanding.jsp?catId=cat10009&question=&pageSize=1000&trail=1002%3Acat10009%3A5008%3AStudio+L%3A5007%3AWall-mountable&sort=-price&_requestid=178837

You can do better on price than buying direct from JBL... but that's a good link for info to get started if you want to consider these.
I have a friend that has an LC2 as his center, with polk audio monitors as his L/R (I know, they don't match) but I really did like the sound of it, thanks, I didn't realize they had smaller options, I may do some research on those (the lc2 would be too large above the tv, but I could do phantom center or get the smaller center channel they offer).
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

I wouldn't get wall mountable speakers. Instead I would put up some shelves for the speakers. It will allow you to get much better speakers. Since the walls for the speakers are at an angle to the fireplace, get some triangular shaped shelves that will create a flat surface relative to the fireplace. Buy some good maple from Home Depot or Lowes and have them cut it for you. Have your wife pick the stain color or paint color and you should be good to go. If you stain, use a coat of glossy polyurethane. You can have them cut some small pieces of trim (maybe 2"x1") to put under the shelves along the wall for support. Have them cut a triangular edge for you.

Or if you fell really adventurous, you can get some good molding to place on the edge of the shelves. Place it a little higher the the edge to give the shelves a little lip to keep things from falling off. Paint it the same color as your current trim and it will look great.

If you have basic skills, you should be able to do this easily.

As far as speakers go, I can't recommend anything since I have no idea what your wife considers good looking. I have some KEF xq speakers in mahogany finish that my wife and I think are fantastic looking.
Thanks for the suggestion, a shelf is definitely something she would not approve of though. She really doesn't care what they look like, I am just trying to find something that is as small as possible. She basically told me that I cannot hang my monitor 40s on the wall next to the tv, and she doesnt want any large box-like speakers, so I think something like the B&W speakers, the PSB, or the Definitive Technology speakers will be exactly perfect for in this room. Thanks!
avalanche208 is offline  
post #23 of 29 Old 07-08-2013, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kini62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 3,268
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Maybe take a look at these- http://www.nhthifi.com/Home-Theater-On-Wall-Speakers

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
Kini62 is offline  
post #24 of 29 Old 07-08-2013, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
LastButNotLeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 08077
Posts: 4,776
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 284

Headphones?

biggrin.gif


Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
LastButNotLeast is offline  
post #25 of 29 Old 07-08-2013, 07:42 PM
Member
 
jm86wvu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: ocmd
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
That's a beautiful room, avalanche. I'll add another vote for the PSB imagine minis. I've used that Crutchfield return policy before (on a pair of Image B6s) and was super pleased with the customer service. If you don't like them you're out $7 for return shipping. I liked the Image B6's very much and waited until the last possible day to return them. Great speakers for the money IMO.
jm86wvu is offline  
post #26 of 29 Old 07-09-2013, 09:04 AM
Senior Member
 
Hookedonc4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
We have the ProCinema 60 5.1 system mounted in sitting area. We have had for years it a great little system... Will add picture to profile shortly.

VSX-53, VSX-51,VSX-81 Pioneer Elites and Denon 1611
James loudspeaker inwalls main and future theater
Control4
Other speaker zones DefTech, Polk, Russound, Boston Acoustics
Hookedonc4 is offline  
post #27 of 29 Old 07-09-2013, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
avalanche208's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

Maybe take a look at these- http://www.nhthifi.com/Home-Theater-On-Wall-Speakers
Thanks, they look like a great suggestion, I am definitely getting either the pro cinema def tech, or the PSB imagine minis, i will order one or two of each and try them out from crutch field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

Headphones?
biggrin.gif
Haha, I will be getting some good sennheisers soon. smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm86wvu View Post

That's a beautiful room, avalanche. I'll add another vote for the PSB imagine minis. I've used that Crutchfield return policy before (on a pair of Image B6s) and was super pleased with the customer service. If you don't like them you're out $7 for return shipping. I liked the Image B6's very much and waited until the last possible day to return them. Great speakers for the money IMO.
Thanks, we love our new house. between the granite, hard wood, tray ceilings, and two car garage, everything is absolutely perfect. Well, it would be better if it had more room for my monitors. tongue.gif it is ok though, i am getting some very soon. it is definitely between the PSB and the def tech speakers, I want the PSB but I am going to order a couple PSB speakers and a couple def tech speakers and make sure that the psb speakers are worth the price difference, and of course see how they all sound in my room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookedonc4 View Post

We have the ProCinema 60 5.1 system mounted in sitting area. We have had for years it a great little system... Will add picture to profile shortly.
Thank you, they helped a lot. Once we both saw what they will look like around the tv, it really helped sell the speakers a lot better. biggrin.gif

Thank you everyone for the help, I will post back when I get the new speakers, and decide which ones I am keeping. biggrin.gif
avalanche208 is offline  
post #28 of 29 Old 07-09-2013, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
GIEGAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,203
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Just getting back here...

Sorry I missed a few of your questions, but it looks like you're going to audition PSB Imagine mini + mini c, so that's great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalanche208 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post

Welcome to AVS!

These are an outstanding high performance small speaker that meet your stated needs:

PSB Imagine mini + mini c ...
  • Several colours available for the bride to choose from. smile.gif
  • Wall mountable with custom swivel bracket.
  • The mini c is 6" high.
  • They'll absolutely slaughter any Bose system. biggrin.gif


http://www.psbspeakers.com/content/130118083209-PSB_Imagine_mini_Broch_2011_LowRes.pdf
I really love the look of those, but wow those are expensive! haha. I was thinking that whatever speakers I decided to get, I would order the center channel and test it for a week or so to see how i like them, but the center alone is $779, so I will have to wait a while. Would you say that these are worth the price difference between them and the definitive technologies speakers? the reason I am asking is because there really aren't many places around here to listen to high end speakers, I would have to drive an hour to the nearest best buy, and they don't have anything like this in stock. I think I may order a def tech pro center 1000 or 2000 from amazon and test it for a while, do you know of anywhere that I could order a psb mini c to test it for a while as well? Would you recommend the PSB sub to go with them as well, or should I go with something else? thanks for the help!

I have never listened to the Def Techs and I've no idea what the price delta is over there, so can't comment on the relative value. Your strategy of auditioning both at home is a great call and the ideal way to make your own judgement. Thanks to Transmaniacon for the Crutchfield tip... being in Australia, I had no idea of availability! I was going to suggest the Dealer Locator on the PSB website, but I think you've got it by the short 'n' curlies.

With respect to your sub question... there is no compelling need at all to buy from the speaker brands range of subs. They don't need to match. Specialist sub manufacturers will, generally speaking, offer superior performance. PSB subs are perfectly OK, are high quality and are powered by well engineered NAD amps. However, they are relatively expensive and there are subs out there that play louder and lower for less outlay. Look to specialist ID sub manufacturer such as: SVS, HSU, Rythmik or PSA. My current pick for a great value, high performing sub is the Rythmik LV12R Direct Servo ($589 + shipping). Plan on getting a second identical one in future.
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/LV12R.html

Having said all that, any reasonable dealer should offer an attactive discount on a full 5.1 system -v- speakers only, so you need to weigh up that value equation as well. IMO though, no currently available PSB sub would better the Rythmik.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalanche208 View Post

Should I look into any other speakers as well? Like the Polk Audio Blackstone? or anything from cambridge audio? or Mirage? I also noticed that PSB has the image b4 speakers that are the right size, are they comparable to the imagine minis? Thanks again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalanche208 View Post

I must have missed this when I posted a minute ago. Thanks, I am looking into those now. You sound like you have dealt with PSB before, I am wondering if I can get the image b4s of b5s or even b6s because it looks like they would fit, and they are a lot cheaper, and then pair them with the imagine mini c center, due to its size? thanks!
I own and cherish an Image B5/C5 combo but have only auditioned Imagine B's at a dealer's "sound lounge" (spare me!), so I've never done a fair comparison of how they sound. The Imagines in that room did sound superb though. The Image line are one step down from the Imagine in the PSB range, however the B4/C4 share the same tweeter and woofer as the mini/mini c, so the performance delta cannot be huge... I'd say incremental but noticeable. The main differences would be attributable to the design and quality of the cabinet construction and the part quality and execution of the crossover. I wouldn't recommend a mix Images and Imagines in your LCR - stick to one line or the other.

One reason I recommended the mini + mini c was your emphasis on WAF (ref. thread title!)... they're beautifully shaped and finished in a choice of colours. If Mrs Avalanche can live with black (or tan) woodgrain vinyl wrap in that nice room, you would not be disappointed by the sound of the Images. As I said though, the minis would be a moderate step up and if you can afford them, and the bride approves, go for it!
Long after the price is forgotten, the quality remains... smile.gif
.
GIEGAR is offline  
post #29 of 29 Old 07-10-2013, 02:51 PM
Member
 
jm86wvu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: ocmd
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I would love to hear your thoughts on the Image B4's vs. Imagine Mini's. In my experience, the B6's took a solid two or three weeks to really loosen up so don't let your first impressions make the decision for you. Same thing with my Totems. Comparing them new against the demo model I had was almost silly. I couldn't believe how stiff and nasal they sounded fresh out of the box.
jm86wvu is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio Monitor40 Series Ii Two Way Bookshelf Loudspeaker Cherry Pair , Polk Audio R15 2 Way Bookshelf Loudspeakers , Yamaha Rxv1700 7 1 Channel Digital Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread - Rxv1700 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off