Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 60 Old 07-09-2013, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Irishman] View Post

You quoted me too soon. I amended the rec to substitute the Klipsch sub with a VTF-1 Mk 2 sub. Makes the total 899! And yes, it still destroys the Ascend/Rythmik recommendation.

For the money, yes...in absolute terms...I doubt it.

Yamaha RX-V673 | HSU HC-1 MK2 | HSU HB-1 MK2 - LR | Pioneer SP-BS22-SLR | BIC RtR-V44-2 (Presence)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 60 Old 07-09-2013, 05:17 PM

I know, my answer was to his post.

Yamaha RX-V673 | HSU HC-1 MK2 | HSU HB-1 MK2 - LR | Pioneer SP-BS22-SLR | BIC RtR-V44-2 (Presence)
post #33 of 60 Old 07-09-2013, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

OK, well, that just makes the assertion that the Pioneer + HSU combo can "destroy" the Ascend + Rythmik combo even more impressive.

Plus, I respected his budget. smile.gif

post #34 of 60 Old 07-09-2013, 09:35 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Irishman] View Post

You quoted me too soon. I amended the rec to substitute the Klipsch sub with a VTF-1 Mk 2 sub. Makes the total 899! And yes, it still destroys the Ascend/Rythmik recommendation.

Interesting. When I first came on the forum, someone DID mention the Andrew Jones 5.1.

I might just goto Best Buy and give it a listen oneday. Thanks for info. I am sure the Andrew Jones will destroy the Ascends as far as soundstage goes atleast.

Peace!
post #35 of 60 Old 07-09-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian323 View Post

Interesting. When I first came on the forum, someone DID mention the Andrew Jones 5.1.

I might just goto Best Buy and give it a listen oneday. Thanks for info. I am sure the Andrew Jones will destroy the Ascends as far as soundstage goes atleast.

Peace!

No, please don't.....These AJ Pio are really good speakers. I'm afraid you'll like them and endorse them, and by doing so, give them bad rep like you did with HSU.

post #36 of 60 Old 07-09-2013, 10:35 PM

Why would I give them a bad rep? I have done nothing but praise the speakers for its excellent prodcut.

Dude, get this through your head. I am just ONE consumer out of hundred thousands out there that own the Hsu's.

If you dont like me personally, so be it, who cares? We're not voting for a prom king, we're here to talk audio gear. And as far as the product goes, the Hsu's HB-1 win over Ascend 170SE by a mile.

Actually, maybe you can explain what I am about to tell you to the readers of this thread.

Now, you know I have been somewhat bashing Ascends for their poor speakers for its price (Ascend 170SE) BUT have also given them due creadit for their detail over the Hsu's. However, today, after playing the very same soundtrack I played with all 3 speakers (Ascend 170se, Hsu HB-1, Energy CB-10) it seems like this is NOT the case.

What I mean is, with the Ascend 170SE's when watching movies, alot of the small details (like keys droppng etc) are emphasized. When I went to demo them, I was used to the Energy CB-10 speakers in my room and I took the same demo (I am Legend) and immediately the little details were emphasized.

But today, when I played the same soundtrack of a movie, I heard a gutar playing LOUD that I didnt hear with the Ascends 170SE or the Energy CB10. (Literally it was non-existent with the Ascends and the Energy line)

How do you suppose this is happening? Since I heard the difference between the CB10 and Ascends 170SE, I gave them the benefit of the doubt that they are more detailed than the horn tweeters, however, I heard a WHOLE INSTRUMENT playing that I couldnt hear with the Ascend 170SE and the Energy CB-10.
post #37 of 60 Old 07-09-2013, 10:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 644
Quote:

Now, you know I have been somewhat bashing Ascends for their poor speakers for its price (Ascend 170SE) BUT have also given them due creadit for their detail over the Hsu's.

The Ascends are not "poor speakers for its price." Rather, you have placement problems with speakers in your room, with your center channel behind your TV and your right speaker in a bookshelf. That will create problems with many speaker types and is not a recommended setup for good sound.

post #38 of 60 Old 07-09-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

The Ascends are not "poor speakers for its price." Rather, you have placement problems with speakers in your room, w
ith your center channel behind your TV and your right speaker in a bookshelf. That will create problems with many speaker types and is not a recommended setup for good sound.

LOL/

Got my Center channel more upfront. Right now its right against the top of the T.V.

The Ascends are poor speakers for its price. We have the Cambridge S30's that are $100 less than the Ascends. However they try both try to achieve the same one-up, which is details

To me, as an owner of Hsu, like I mentioned above, i heard a whole new instrument playing from the same soundtrack the Ascends and the Energy CB-10's couldnt put out.

I really have no idea how this works, but to me now, the Hsu's have bigger soundstage (ofcourse), clarity (we all know the horn tweeters sound more "lively" than the soft dome tweeters) and now details (they put out a whole new instrument the Ascend 170SE's couldnt put out).

If we're talking dollars, the Cambridge S30's (whichmany owners who have tried both ascend 170se and Cambridge S30 picks the cambridge as the clear winner) are $100.00 less.

Thats' 1/3 less price. Again, if we're talking dollars, and if were to bring screen into consideration, we're talking a 32' to a 37 or even a 40 incher.

And they sound better too.
post #39 of 60 Old 07-09-2013, 10:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

LOL hello Cel. biggrin.gif

Got my Center channel more upfront. Right now its right against the top of the T.V.

That's good. Once you get your speakers placed well, your setup should sound better.

But that doesn't negate that you are going around "bashing Ascends," to use your own words from today:
Quote:

Now, you know I have been somewhat bashing Ascends for their poor speakers . . .

Clearly, your room setup was NOT a good place to evaluate speakers.

post #40 of 60 Old 07-09-2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:

That's good. Once you get your speakers placed well, your setup should sound better.

But that doesn't negate that you are going around "bashing Ascends," to use your own words from today:
Clearly, your room setup was NOT a good place to evaluate speakers.

The Ascends are poor speakers for its price. We have the Cambridge S30's that are $100 less than the Ascends. However they try both try to achieve the same one-up to the other speakers, which is details

To me, as an owner of Hsu, like I mentioned above, i heard a whole new instrument playing from the same soundtrack the Ascends and the Energy CB-10's couldnt put out.

I really have no idea how this works, but to me now, the Hsu's have bigger soundstage (ofcourse), clarity (we all know the horn tweeters sound more "lively" than the soft dome tweeters) and now details (they put out a whole new instrument the Ascend 170SE's couldnt put out).

If we're talking dollars, the Cambridge S30's (whichmany owners who have tried both ascend 170se and Cambridge S30 picks the cambridge as the clear winner) are $100.00 less.

Thats' 1/3 less price. Again, if we're talking dollars, and if were to bring screen into consideration, we're talking a 32' to a 37 or even a 40 incher.

post #41 of 60 Old 07-09-2013, 11:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The Ascends are poor speakers for its price. We have the Cambridge S30's that are $100 less than the Ascends. However they try both try to achieve the same one-up to the other speakers, which is details

You have completely ducked the placement problem you had in trying the Ascends and even the Energy speakers in your room.

Try addressing the point.

post #42 of 60 Old 07-09-2013, 11:07 PM

I heard both the Ascends 170SE and the HB'1 around the same location.
post #43 of 60 Old 07-09-2013, 11:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I heard both the Ascends 170SE and the HB'1 around the same location.

Yes. In the same crappy locations. NO ONE on AVS would recommend putting a center channel behind the TV like that and the speaker in the bookshelf because of potential reflection problems which could easily muddy the soundstage. The HSUs, which you commonly note have a directional horn guide, would have a narrower dispersion, likely avoiding some of the pitfalls of your setup. Many speakers would have problems with that kind of setup.
Quote:

I really have no idea how this works . . .

Well, now you know. Your poor speaker placement just didn't work for other speakers a well as the HSUs. That's not a fault of the speakers. That's as fault of the poor setup. But you seem to be working on that, and that's good, It may improve how your HSU speaker sound.

post #44 of 60 Old 07-09-2013, 11:41 PM

Where should I place the Center? I cant bring the center to the front of the cabinet... currently the center is tilted down to ear level from top of T.V.

Also, I am gonna move the front bookshelf (parents said its ok) to the side and put the HB1's on stands and give it more air. Also, gonna get the VTF3.4 in rosewood in about 2-3 weeks and place it on top right corner with the ports facing the seat.

What do you think?
post #45 of 60 Old 07-10-2013, 12:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Where should I place the Center? I cant bring the center to the front of the cabinet... currently the center is tilted down to ear level from top of T.V.

Also, I am gonna move the front bookshelf (parents said its ok) to the side and put the HB1's on stands and give it more air. Also, gonna get the VTF3.4 in rosewood in about 2-3 weeks and place it on top right corner with the ports facing the seat.

What do you think?

What do I think?

I think it's off topic for you to derail this thread and make it about improving your own setup. You've derailed enough threads. You should start your own thread.

And I think you'll have better luck getting help from the community if you admit that your poor speaker placement is not optimum for evaluating speakers. Given that you have alienated so many people--even HSU owners--I think you'll have to promise to stop the Ascend "bashing" and, indeed, abstain from any bashing

You asked what I think cool.gif
Nethawk likes this.

post #46 of 60 Old 07-10-2013, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 277
If you are considering just getting a 3.1 system for now, you could look at the Klipsch Reference Series bookshelves. As has been mentioned, when you pair bookshelves with a sub, you don't lose much over towers and they will perform very well.

The Klipsch RB-51 II and RC-52 II would set you back $800, you could pair that with the Klipsch RW-12D and have enough for a pair of stands for the front speakers. The Klipsch would offer great dynamics for movies and the Klipsch sub should do pretty well in a smaller space like that (Plus they all match biggrin.gif)

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #47 of 60 Old 07-10-2013, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Irishman] 
Plus, I respected his budget. smile.gif
I guess that means you win. wink.gif
post #48 of 60 Old 07-10-2013, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

I guess that means you win. wink.gif

Your logic is flawless, and I can't argue with it. smile.gif

post #49 of 60 Old 07-10-2013, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 471
I suspected that you might not object to my comment... wink.gif
post #50 of 60 Old 07-10-2013, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

To the OP

Among the brands mentioned in here already (HSU, Acsend)

Another one I would recommend looking at his HTD. I had their level two's and they were fantastic speakers. The biggest thing I loved about them was the imagining, it was amazing how well they filled the room.

Also, please don't listen to Brian, he sounds like an arrogant teen (I've had my moments too) who listened to a few things in a ****** setup and thinks he knows the world (again ive had my moments)

Brian, some advice to you would be to tone it down, your talking like you've read some things and are now an expert and I would totally just stop that **** before no one ever takes you seriously.

EMP E55ti | EMP E56ci | Polk T15's for surround duty | Ultimax 15" Sub | Integra 40.2 | Rotel 976 | Panasonic 60ST60
post #51 of 60 Old 07-10-2013, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 114
Quote:

You have completely ducked the placement problem you had in trying the Ascends and even the Energy speakers in your room.

Try addressing the point.

Ascend recommended the 340 SE for his room size and he decided to go with the 170's instead. I'm not sure the apples to oranges comparison applies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady195 View Post

Also, please don't listen to Brian, he sounds like an arrogant teen (I've had my moments too) who listened to a few things in a ****** setup and thinks he knows the world (again ive had my moments

Well, he did get approval from his parents to rearrange furniture.

post #52 of 60 Old 07-10-2013, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

This forum is great to ask for advice. I've learned a lot in my quest for speakers. Hell I even went nuts and bought equipment to test and try and address issues.

I've deffinately had my moments where I thought I knew something and gave advice/said something that may have not been accurate but its knowing when to back down and say wow I jumped the gun sorry.

Brian this forum is a plethora of informtation and good people willing to help, you just need to be willing to listen and not think you know everything because you read some stuff on wikipedia and some of the "smart" sounding guys on here who could lead a new religious movement based on how they speak, when in reality they don't seem to really know a god damn thing.

I can tell you right now your speaker setup is ****, the fact at how forward those speakers are is probably help masking the issues at hand. Not everyone has ideal setups but theres tons you can do to make it better if you just listen to people and stop being so arogant. and of course pending mommy and daddies blessing,

EMP E55ti | EMP E56ci | Polk T15's for surround duty | Ultimax 15" Sub | Integra 40.2 | Rotel 976 | Panasonic 60ST60
post #53 of 60 Old 07-10-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady195 View Post

This forum is great to ask for advice. I've learned a lot in my quest for speakers. Hell I even went nuts and bought equipment to test and try and address issues.

I've deffinately had my moments where I thought I knew something and gave advice/said something that may have not been accurate but its knowing when to back down and say wow I jumped the gun sorry.

Brian this forum is a plethora of information and good people willing to help, you just need to be willing to listen and not think you know everything because you read some stuff on wikipedia and some of the "smart" sounding guys on here who could lead a new religious movement based on how they speak, when in reality they don't seem to really know a god damn thing.

Great advice, Shady, like you, I've found myself in the same situation, and we listen to the more experienced, and if disagreed, at least respect their opinions and not post blanket statement like "absolute truth" and post youtube video to hear how someone else's speaker sound through mine. ( this last one was award winning).

Brian, I don't dislike you personally, I don't know you, I just found you a little annoying when you are confusing people time after time with your flawed logic. You are entitle to your opinions, but that should be the extend of it. Don't worry, it is not all your fault, we share the blame ourselves for engaging you, we prompt you to spit out more nonsense. We should just ignore you until you start to behave in a more mature manner.

post #54 of 60 Old 07-10-2013, 12:01 PM

Fellas fellas fellas...

We have a review of Ascend vs. Cambridge S30's and the reviewer said the Cambridge wins hands down. We have a a review of the Ascends vs. the Arx's and the reviewer said the Arx's wins. Now we have a review of the Arx vs. the Hsu and I say the Hsu wins hands down.

These are peoplpe who have heard BOTH speakers in the same rank to compare. Most of the people here buy the Ascends through the word of mouth and think its good. Ofcourse they think its good, they have never heard the other speakers that are in the rank. How can they know better?

Doesn't all this review tell you something? I mean, if you cant perform, make up for it in aesthetics and design, but the 170SE's are the worst of the 3 as well..

Anyway, I have said my piece. Goodluck.
post #55 of 60 Old 07-10-2013, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 114
^^ Any speaker review is extremely subjective and results depend on multiple factors. This does not indicate that one speaker is definitively better than another.

I heard, in my home, several speakers before I decided on Ascend. I compared them to speakers that "rank" higher than Ascend, Hsu, Cambridge or Arx. I'm keeping the Ascend. I know better because my ears told me.

All moot points, the gentleman above is considering CMT-340 SE rather than the 170SE reviews you continue to reference.

post #56 of 60 Old 07-10-2013, 12:14 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:

Thanks. Great info. Now, if only there was some place on the internet where potential buyers and enthusiasts could go to discuss the merits and experiences of various AV gear.

Any recommendations, Brian?
post #57 of 60 Old 07-10-2013, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:

Fellas fellas fellas...

We have a review of Ascend vs. Cambridge S30's and the reviewer said the Cambridge wins hands down. We have a a review of the Ascends vs. the Arx's and the reviewer said the Arx's wins. Now we have a review of the Arx vs. the Hsu and I say the Hsu wins hands down.

These are peoplpe who have heard BOTH speakers in the same rank to compare. Most of the people here buy the Ascends through the word of mouth and think its good. Ofcourse they think its good, they have never heard the other speakers that are in the rank. How can they know better?

Doesn't all this review tell you something? I mean, if you cant perform, make up for it in aesthetics and design, but the 170SE's are the worst of the 3 as well..

You can't take two online reviews that say X > Y, and Y > Z, and assume X > Z. Speakers are an individual choice, everyone hears differently and has different preferences. There are thousands of happy Ascend customers, I have heard the 170s and thought they sounded great. So just because you didn't like them, despite all your setup issues, doesn't mean you need to preach against them every chance you get.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #58 of 60 Old 07-10-2013, 12:28 PM

Well the thing is, the threads I am in are comparing the Ascends to begin with. I am not sure but from what I am guessing, other members here reviewed Ascends vs. other speakers in the same rank as well? and those other speakers the Ascends won against should be counted out.

Now, we have OTHER speakers that are above the Ascends, so the Ascends should be counted out. Now, if somewhat makes speakers in the same range that are BETTER than the Hsu's or the Cambridges or Arx's these speakers should be counted out. Isnt this forum about technology?

This should be the route. I think this forum is for the consumers and helping them make the correct choice from a consumer perspective.
post #59 of 60 Old 07-10-2013, 12:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Fellas fellas fellas...

What review? Provide the link to this "alleged" review so that we know which one you are referring to. You have previously misattributed what others have said in their speaker testimonials. Here's where I pointed out how your problems with a previous review, in case you have forgotten:
Quote:

As pointed out to you in this thread just this week . . . . I already pointed out to you that the "reviewer" of Ascends and Arx you are speaking of DID NOT end up using the speakers that way. Rather he supposed he would prefer the Ascends as rears for his tastes in 5.1, but could see using both for TV as mains and found them to be comparable speakers. He ultimately enthusiastically recommended both:
Quote:
Originally Posted by padgman1 View Post

Eventually I can see the Ascends as rear/surrounds "+" speakers in a 5.1 system with the Arxs as L/R fronts, but using both sets as mains when watching TV ( as the crowd noise eminating from the Ascends at close range from behind would be highly energetic)...........

Bottom line: You can't go wrong with EITHER set of speakers.......it comes down to listener preference, as both Darkpoet and Buford have noted........just glad I have BOTH biggrin.gif

So best if you provide the link so we can read it ourselves.

Second, I could see why some people might prefer the S30s. In the $250 price range, I would rate the S30 an excellent speaker. I know it's popular for its imaging capabilities when properly placed in a room on stands.

However, as a previous owner of the S30, I prefer the Energy RC-10, Energy V5.1, and the Ascend CBM-170 SEs to the S30.

post #60 of 60 Old 07-10-2013, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 268
thread clean up: the OP stopped posting here yesterday....

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
Reply Speakers

Tags
Bic Acoustech Pl 89 Speakers , Klipsch Rw 12d 12 Subwoofer Each , Denon Avr X2000 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page