Bookshelf Recommendations - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 07-09-2013, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
smok3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I started a thread in the "Theory, Setup and Chat" section looking for advice on upgrading my 2.0 system and received some good info. I've decided to upgrade my old Infinity Reference 2000.1 bookshelf speakers for now, and thought I'd try here for some recommendations from the group.

Based on my room constraints, I will actually be placing the speakers in built-in bookshelves in my library - stands are not an option. I'm looking for good bass response (if possible) from the speakers themselves because a sub is also not an option due to the room configuration. The room is about 12'x12'. I'll be initially powering the system with my Kenwood receiver, which is older than the Infinitys (with hopes of upgrading that as well in the near future). My budget is up to about $450 for the pair.

One member from the other forum section recommended the Wharfedale Diamond 10.2s, but from various reviews it appears that certain speakers are fussier than others regarding placement, and with the Diamonds being rear ported I fear my intended placement won't work out. Although I have no doubt that virtually any decent speaker out there today will blow away my lousy Infinitys, are there any recommendations for speakers in my price range that might work/sound best as true "bookshelf" speakers?
smok3 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 Old 07-10-2013, 03:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
smasher50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: right behind you
Posts: 2,083
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
fwiw, take a look at the kef q300's $500 at accessories4less imo great sounding speakers with some nice low end

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
smasher50 is offline  
post #3 of 19 Old 07-10-2013, 04:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,250
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Also look in to the Focal 706V, they on sale for $449 here and are front ported which should make placement a lot easier.

If you can forego looks a bit, the Arx A1b speakers are very well reviewed and do dig pretty deep for a bookshelf speaker. They are also only $299 so you could upgrade your receiver sooner than later.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
Transmaniacon is offline  
post #4 of 19 Old 07-10-2013, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
gtpsuper24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,080
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post


If you can forego looks a bit, the Arx A1b speakers are very well reviewed and do dig pretty deep for a bookshelf speaker. They are also only $299 so you could upgrade your receiver sooner than later.

+1 but IMO the Arx isn't any worst looking than the Ascend 170SE, HSU HB-1 (satin black), or any other painted or vinyl black speaker. And they do go very deep but have a very balanced sound as well. You'll also be hard pressed to find a speaker using the level of quality the Arx does in its price range.
gtpsuper24 is offline  
post #5 of 19 Old 07-10-2013, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
smok3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher50 View Post

fwiw, take a look at the kef q300's $500 at accessories4less imo great sounding speakers with some nice low end

Those look real nice, but according to some reviews they're best to be positioned away from walls (even though front ported and they have a wall mount bracket confused.gif).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

Also look in to the Focal 706V, they on sale for $449 here and are front ported which should make placement a lot easier.

If you can forego looks a bit, the Arx A1b speakers are very well reviewed and do dig pretty deep for a bookshelf speaker. They are also only $299 so you could upgrade your receiver sooner than later.

I hadn't looked at the Focals but I'll check them out. The Arx are on my radar and I've heard good things - with the foam plug that TAI includes they apparently effectively convert to acoustic suspension for use close to boundaries. Any experience using them this way?
smok3 is offline  
post #6 of 19 Old 07-10-2013, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member
 
Ozzie Isaac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Look into the new Wharfedale speakers, the ones replacing the 10.2s. They can be ordered from Bristol in the UK (not available from US distributors yet). They are ported on the bottom. I can't remember the name designation atm.
Ozzie Isaac is offline  
post #7 of 19 Old 07-11-2013, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
smok3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Still trying to gather info, especially from those who have tried bookshelf speakers on shelves instead of stands. On my list currently are a bunch: Def Tech SM 55, Arx A1b, Wharfedale 10.2 (don't think I can locate a pair of 122s), HTD Level 3, Ascend 170SE, NHT Classic 2, Axiom M3 v3 KEF Q300, Focal 706V, Monitor Audio Bronze BX2. I like the idea of risk free auditioning for some on the list here (Axiom, NHT, HTD), but I just don't know if those are the best offerings for my wants and needs. Any info is appreciated!
smok3 is offline  
post #8 of 19 Old 07-11-2013, 05:47 PM
Senior Member
 
PD50U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by smok3 View Post

I like the idea of risk free auditioning for some on the list here (Axiom, NHT, HTD), but I just don't know if those are the best offerings for my wants and needs. Any info is appreciated!

Unless I'm misinterpreting (return shipping?), "risk-free audition" would also include Ascend.

I have the CBM-170 in a built-in - they sound great; clean and dynamic. The SE can only get better; ditto with a small sub in that size room.

I have the Sierras (outside budget) in a built-in (different room) - rear port can be plugged. Less efficient, but deeper bass.

Either one is a winner in their price bracket in my book. Haven't heard the others; I just know Ascend will not come up short in the bang for buck category.

I would be interested in how the Focal's would sound compared to the Ascend Sierras - similar list prices.

You might look into the new WaveCrest offering. Front-ported and an off-spring of the Ascend engineer/designer.

Hearing is believing vs Believing is hearing.
PD50U is offline  
post #9 of 19 Old 07-11-2013, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gtpsuper24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,080
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Just about every internet direct company offers some kind of risk free audition. Aperion Audio and HTD are one of the few that offers free return shipping. Axiom, Arx, HSU, Ascend, ect.... All charge to ship back. Usually its some kind of discount UPS/Fed Ex rate.
gtpsuper24 is offline  
post #10 of 19 Old 07-12-2013, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
smok3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PD50U View Post

Unless I'm misinterpreting (return shipping?), "risk-free audition" would also include Ascend.

I have the CBM-170 in a built-in - they sound great; clean and dynamic. The SE can only get better; ditto with a small sub in that size room.

I have the Sierras (outside budget) in a built-in (different room) - rear port can be plugged. Less efficient, but deeper bass.

Either one is a winner in their price bracket in my book. Haven't heard the others; I just know Ascend will not come up short in the bang for buck category.

I would be interested in how the Focal's would sound compared to the Ascend Sierras - similar list prices.

You might look into the new WaveCrest offering. Front-ported and an off-spring of the Ascend engineer/designer.

The Ascend policy isn't clear to me regarding return shipping, but in any event they say the original shipping charges would not be refunded, so I didn't consider that one in the "risk free" category. Do use the CBM-170s with a sub or without?
smok3 is offline  
post #11 of 19 Old 07-12-2013, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
RicardoJoa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Posts: 616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Can risk your shipping cost, go best buy and grab some apeakers. But even then your are risking your time and gas money.
RicardoJoa is offline  
post #12 of 19 Old 07-12-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,645
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by smok3 View Post

Still trying to gather info, especially from those who have tried bookshelf speakers on shelves instead of stands.

Look into the HSU HB-1 MK2s. They have wave guide directional tweeters. That could be an advantage for placing speakers in bookshelves because of the narrower dispersion over other dome tweeter speakers.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is online now  
post #13 of 19 Old 07-13-2013, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Nethawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 2,513
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by smok3 View Post

Those look real nice, but according to some reviews they're best to be positioned away from walls (even though front ported and they have a wall mount bracket confused.gif).
I hadn't looked at the Focals but I'll check them out. The Arx are on my radar and I've heard good things - with the foam plug that TAI includes they apparently effectively convert to acoustic suspension for use close to boundaries. Any experience using them this way?

Kef do quite well close to a wall. I had Q300 and placement limitations, I had to build shelves. The first day or two they were freely placed, once they were on shelves (about 10" from wall) there was no difference unless placed in a corner.

Nethawk is offline  
post #14 of 19 Old 07-14-2013, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sdg4vfx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 1,322
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by smok3 View Post

Those look real nice, but according to some reviews they're best to be positioned away from walls (even though front ported and they have a wall mount bracket confused.gif) ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

Kef do quite well close to a wall. I had Q300 and placement limitations, I had to build shelves. The first day or two they were freely placed, once they were on shelves (about 10" from wall) there was no difference unless placed in a corner.

Based on my experience I would agree with Nethawk. I probably read the same review that said the KEF Q300's needed space behind them. But, I auditioned both the Q300 and Q100 in home and they sounded very good mounted on the wall. (Though I don't recommend using the port-bungs if you're wall mounting them.)

Couple of months later I help a friend with her HT where we tried Q300's "in" a shelf and they worked great again. We also tried the NHT's in her setup and they worked well - they are a sealed speaker. She ended up keeping the KEFs because the equivalent sounding NHT, the Classic Three, was almost twice as expensive (both sounded very good!)
sdg4vfx is offline  
post #15 of 19 Old 07-14-2013, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
smasher50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: right behind you
Posts: 2,083
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
fwiw, just recently upgraded from the Cambridge s-30's to the kef q300's in my small listening room. they are on pinpoint am 40 wall mounts and are no further than 2-3" from back wall and they sound great. I do agree with nethawk not to place to close to or in corners, this goes pretty much with all speakers

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
smasher50 is offline  
post #16 of 19 Old 07-14-2013, 07:31 AM
Senior Member
 
jpcamaro70's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I'm not sure what you mean by built in bookshelf. Is there room on the sides or back?

the deftech's are rear ported so you'll need some room in the back.
I also have klipsch rb-61 that are front ported and sound awesome, with good lows.

My Gear
jpcamaro70 is offline  
post #17 of 19 Old 07-14-2013, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
smok3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcamaro70 View Post

I'm not sure what you mean by built in bookshelf. Is there room on the sides or back?

the deftech's are rear ported so you'll need some room in the back.
I also have klipsch rb-61 that are front ported and sound awesome, with good lows.

No room on the sides or back. My built-ins are built into the room, floor to ceiling - kind of like these (except the room is larger). The speaker wires come up through the bottom of the lowest shelf of the bookshelves on either side of the room, both in corner locations, and that is where my current speakers sit (and they sound awful). Should I expect that any speaker placed in that location will sound poor, or can I expect at least some improvement with better speakers (front ported or otherwise)?
smok3 is offline  
post #18 of 19 Old 07-15-2013, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
smok3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, based on the recommendations here my short list is down to the Kef Q300 and the Focal Chorus 706V. I'm leaning heavily toward the Q300s. My anticipated placement of the speakers is going to be limited and likely not very forgiving, but based on the experience of others (at least with the Q300s) I'm pretty confident I'll get much, much better sound and performance than my current setup.
smok3 is offline  
post #19 of 19 Old 07-17-2013, 12:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sdg4vfx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 1,322
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Both good choices smile.gif
sdg4vfx is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Kef Q300wa Bookshelf Speakers , Focal 706v Chorus Loudspeakers , Ascend Acoustics Cbm 170 Se , Hsu Research Hb1 Mk2
Gear in this thread - Q300wa by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off