HSU HB1 MK II or Paradigm Atom V7 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: HSU Research HB1, Paradigm Atom V7, or something else?
HSU Research HB1 2 33.33%
Paradigm Atom V7 1 16.67%
Other 3 50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-09-2013, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm coming from audioengine A5's and tried to switch to polk tsi200's I didnt like them at all. The bass was wolly and they were just nowhere close to the audioengine level of quality. I'm trying to get back to the level of wow that the audioengine had in terms of detail, clarity, etc.

I'm building a subwoofer that should be able to handle bass from 20-80, so thats not a huge deal. its centered around a titanic MKIII 10" kit from Dayton.

I have a marantz SR6007. For the next 8 months or so, i'll be in my parents house so this will be a near field setup because I have to have this in a combination bedroom/office. Think of this as a 2-person dorm room with only 1 person inside. Its about 10x20 but theres only one way to lay the room out, and its the "short way", so im in a corner with the longest wall directly in front and behind me.

Since the 6007 has adjustable crossover, the wooly bass of the polk has not been too big of an issue but my own sub is very boomy and peaky instead. I want this speaker to be able to hold its own down as low as possible and be a desktop. IE if it can play flat-ish down to 65, thats about where i'll set my crossover (round up). If it can only play flat down to 80, thats where the crossover gets set. I want the sub responsible for the least amount of stuff.

The idea is that i can then tell the marantz to bump up LFE channel just a tiny bit.

I have a mic also, and i have created various multichannel sweeps and such, so i can take measurements if you guys want. just instruct me as to which measurements you want/need (full range, crossover enabled, etc). I havent run audyssey yet because i figured id rather measure the whole system and get it stabilized first.

Also, the subwoofer placement is a little bit fluid. I can post pictures.

The speakers will be used near field for now. 3 feet from my head for front left/right. 2 feet for center. Rear right is 4-5 feet, rear right is 7-8 feet.

Please dont comment on my room situation. I know its not ideal. I make the most of what i have. It will only sound better as i move up to better locations. Im worried mostly about 2.0 for now.

Polks were purchased because i thought this room could be used length wise with pioneers as fronts. i was mistaken and the it was a bad idea to cheap out on the polks. Now im trying to rectify that.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-09-2013, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 471
These speakers have recently been compared directly in this shoot out from Sound and Vision .
post #3 of 7 Old 07-09-2013, 10:00 PM
post #4 of 7 Old 07-09-2013, 10:25 PM

Liked: 12
I would definately recommend the Hsu HB-1 MK2. I have never heard any other speakers in its price range that have a bigger soundstage. Not to mention for its price, it has better detail level than the Ascend 170SE that gets compared with in most cases recently.

For one, and this is an honest opinion, the Hsu's have a huge soundstage. It will definately wow you. In the past, I have heard both and retturned the Ascend 170SE (bought 3x) because it just wasnt delivering enough for home theatre. I then got the Hsu's and they have a huge soundstage, detailed, lively, and smooth.
The difference as far as movie goes between the two, with the Ascends you hear more tiny details that are emphasized like keys dropping, or putting a plate down on the table and stuff like that, but this might sound contradicting but with the Hsu's today, I heard a guiter playing in the same soundstrack that I never heard with the Ascend 170SE's or the Energy CB-10. I really have no idea how this works but it is what it is. (Maybe some engineers can explain what is happening)

As far as the Paradigm goes, one member here who have helped me alot and know ALOT about this stuff (and knows what hes talking about )own the Pardigms and have said he REALLY like their sound. So I am sure they sound great.

Peace!
post #5 of 7 Old 07-09-2013, 10:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian323 View Post

For one, and this is an honest opinion . . .

You have a major problem with speaker placement in your room. It is not recommended to put the center channel behind your TV and your right speaker in a bookshelf; that's a bad setup for optimal soundstage. Consequently, your experience with many speakers would be atypical from how the same speakers would react in a proper setup.

And, you have admitted today that you are going around bashing the Ascends:
Quote:

I have been somewhat bashing Ascends

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #6 of 7 Old 07-09-2013, 11:03 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

You have a major problem with speaker placement in your room. It is not recommended to put the center channel behind your TV and your right speaker in a bookshelf; that's a bad setup for optimal soundstage. Consequently, your experience with many speakers would be atypical from how the same speakers would react in a proper setup.

And, you have admitted today that you are going around bashing the Ascends:

If you are gonna quote me, please atleast try to put down the whole sentence and not cut it off.

I said "I have been somewhat bashing Ascends for its poor sound for its price range".

That very picture you have was the EXACT same set-up I had with the Ascends. And clearly, with the same set-up, the Hsu's sound 2x better no joke.

Not to mention the comparison was 3x Ascend 170SE to 2x Hsu HB-1 MK2's and the HB-1's STILL filled the room 2x as much.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-09-2013, 11:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 726
Quote:

If you are gonna quote me, please atleast try to put down the whole sentence and not cut it off.

I said "I have been somewhat bashing Ascends for its poor sound for its price range".

That very picture you have was the EXACT same set-up I had with the Ascends. And clearly, with the same set-up, the Hsu's sound 2x better no joke.

Not to mention the comparison was 3x Ascend 170SE to 2x Hsu HB-1 MK2's and the HB-1's STILL filled the room 2x as much.

Your setup problem=Brian's problem, not a speaker problem.

That picture I linked to is a POOR SETUP for HT usage. NO ONE on AVS would recommend the center channel back behind the TV like that or the speaker in a bookshelf because of the reflections that could muddy the soundstage. Most likely the HSUs performed better for you because of the wave guides on the tweeters which could narrow the dispersion. If you had used a recommended setup, very likely your experience with other speakers could have been different.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Reply Speakers

Tags
Hsu Research Hb1 Mk2

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page