To THX or not to THX - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-10-2013, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone

As mentioned in a bit older thread I'm going to construct a HT-dedicated room with in wall and in ceiling speakers.

I'm focussing right now on the Klipsch-speakers, but they got a THX-line and a 'normal' line which is, you'd never guess it, a lot cheaper.

Now for me, I'm not that a audioholic that THX is a must have, but my AV-receiver and propably my beamer (an Epson) will also be THX-certified.

Do you guys think those THX-speakers are worth it's price or ain't they really necessary to get an awesome sound?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 244
I assume you mean the thx ultra 2 line,

They're very good speakers, but whether or not they're worth it depends on the price. In most cases, unless you're getting a bargain, there are better options for the price.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 156
If its a dedicated room why are you going with in walls? You get much more bang for your buck with traditional speakers. Just get an acoustically transparent screen and hide the front three behind it.

Television: Mitsubishi WD65737 DLP
Processor: Emotiva UMC-200
Amps: Carver AV 806x/Behringer EP4000
Mains: DCM TimeFrame 600 Center: AT 453C
Surrounds: AT 251.1 Sub: Danley DTS-10
Blu Ray: Panasonic DMP-BD655
Old 07-10-2013, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 480
I would go for the Klipsch Reference series instead. With the savings, buy a better sub or a second one, and add some room treatments (since this is a dedicated room). You will get a lot more out of your system that way.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Old 07-10-2013, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 527
It all depends on price. What about the Heresy speaker.

AVR-Yamaha A830
amps-5 Adcom 555 in 850 watt monoblock mode
sub amp-Sanway FP14K
LCR-Dual stacked BFM DR-250's
Surrounds- Dual stacked BFM W10's
subs-12 SI 18's ported 6hz.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

It all depends on price. What about the Heresy speaker.

I bet a lower end AVR could drive 5 Heresies and a sub, but if you weren't going to go all Heresy, finding a center channel and surrounds would be a problem...

That said, I heard an all Heresy setup with two SVS subs and it sounded nice but I would rather have the RF-7s and appropriate center channel up front, and substitute direct radiating speakers for their WDST line...I'm also convinced you need an AVR whose power supply can handle 4 Ohm loads with all speakers being driven with the upper-end Klipsch Reference..
Old 07-10-2013, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1276 Post(s)
Liked: 1214
I was looking threw the classified section yesterday and I ran across what seems like a pretty good deal on a THX Jamo D7 Ultra2 setup for only $2500, that might be worth taking a look at!
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1480769/jamo-d7-thx-ultra2-system-5-d7lcr-and-2-d7sur
Old 07-10-2013, 05:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert170881 View Post

Hi everyone

As mentioned in a bit older thread I'm going to construct a HT-dedicated room with in wall and in ceiling speakers.

I'm focussing right now on the Klipsch-speakers, but they got a THX-line and a 'normal' line which is, you'd never guess it, a lot cheaper.

Now for me, I'm not that a audioholic that THX is a must have, but my AV-receiver and propably my beamer (an Epson) will also be THX-certified.

Do you guys think those THX-speakers are worth it's price or ain't they really necessary to get an awesome sound?
The Klipsch THX in-wall line is a fully enclosed speaker set. The rest of the Klipsch in-wall line is open-backed. There is a *HUGE* difference between enclosed and open-backed in-walls. Read this: http://www.cepro.com/article/how_to_prevent_audio_loss_with_in_wall_speaker_systems/D1/ In a Home Theater environment, I would *never* use open-backed in-walls. But that's just me.

In addition, THX certification of speakers, (in-walls or free-standing), ensures the following:
  • wide horizontal dispersion with limited vertical dispersion
  • the ability to output full Reference Level at 12 ft in a 3,00 cubic foot room
  • the ability to be used with the THX crossover of 80 Hz and have the proper roll-off
If any or all of those things are important to you, and the speakers are within the budget, then yes, they're "worth it."

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

Old 07-10-2013, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

If its a dedicated room why are you going with in walls? You get much more bang for your buck with traditional speakers. Just get an acoustically transparent screen and hide the front three behind it.

I agree with Flying_fool.

JBL Pro Cinema
Old 07-10-2013, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
@all: thx for the replies!

@craig-john: thx for the technical explanation. It seems indeed worth it to look into those fully enclosed speakers.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert170881 View Post

No, they aren't really necessary to get awesome sound. If H/T enthusiasts really know what they're doing, a level of audio performance comparable, if not superior, to THX performance can be acheived without THX certified equipment. The main attraction of THX certified speakers and subs IMO is that the "moderately skilled" enthusiast who wants to assemble a reference-capable system, can do so with a minimum of fuss. The individual knows the speaker and subs are designed to work with a THX certified processor (stand-alone or with an AVR) as a system to deliver clean reference level output for the relevent sized room and seating distance (Ultra2 or Select2). As Craig mentioned, an example of this system approach is how the THX processor's HPF works with the THX speaker's acoustic roll-off (and LPF applied to the subs) to implement the 80Hz/LR4 "THX crossover".

Here is a very good article from Secrets (the section on speakers and subs starts on page/part 3): http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/technical-articles-and-editorials/technical-articles-and-editorials/what-it-means-and-how-to-use-it.html

An older Audioholics article: http://www.audioholics.com/education/audio-formats-technology/thx-select-and-thx-ultra2-certification-general-questions

Off topic (sort of): Forget the THX certified player... an old Oppo will be fine: http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/transports/high-definition-dvd-players-hd-dvd-blu-ray/lexicon-bd-30-blu-ray-oppo-clone/oppo-inside-lexicon-outside-1