Need help picking out a new Center speaker now and front towers to match down the line - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-10-2013, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well first off thanks in advance for anyone who offers their suggestions/support. I'm not the biggest audio wizard and always feel a little out of my element when it comes time to buy a new device. I've had a great 5.1 set of speakers by the now defuct company Yambeka Audio. You can check out a review on HTS here. I know most people aren't familiar with them so I thought the link might help. Anyways, this set has been doing me proud for many years but my Center channel is starting show distortion and cracking in the audio so it's time to move on. I just bought my first house a few days ago so funds are a little tight right now but this center channel is driving me nuts, I have to upgrade it with something else. I know pairing is essential so my hope is to eventually get matching towers for the center and possibly move my Yambeka towers to be rear surrounds unless someone tells me I'm doing something vastly wrong. My priority now is the Center, the towers will come later down the road.

The system will be used for both music and film but it's application with movies is far more important to me than it is for music. Ideally I would like to keep it under $300 for a center but I'm always willing to sell a few collectibles I have laying around to get something nicer if it's a great deal or really beneficial to me.

Setup Breakdown:
Speakers: Yambeka Audio Fronts, Rears, and center with some moo old Onkyo speakers as surrounds for the time being
Sub: 10" powered Infinity PSW310W
Receiver: Onkyo HT-RC360

My apologies for any wrong terminology used.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-10-2013, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
You literally have tons of options. How big is your room, and how far are you sitting?
post #3 of 9 Old 07-10-2013, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

You literally have tons of options. How big is your room, and how far are you sitting?

I don't have anything to measure right now as I literally moved in yesterday and all my stuff is still in boxes. I can get measurements when I start unpacking tomorrow but it's a rectangular room that's quite long. No odd shapes to worry about. I haven't set anything up yet but I'm willing to adjust my seating length to whatever would be best for the listening experience.
post #4 of 9 Old 07-10-2013, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Go phantom center until you can upgrade as a package.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-11-2013, 02:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by lespurgeon View Post

Go phantom center until you can upgrade as a package.

I agree. Set up everything for a phantom center and see if that works for you. No need to sell the family jewels now.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-11-2013, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

You know I never thought about a phantom center but that may just work beautifully. Any suggestions for speakers that I should be saving up for? I'd really like to avoid replacing my Receiver so the best that I can get that would still work with it would be great. Also, that 10" sub I have seems to be getting discounted pretty deep these days, I can probably pick up another another one for $300. Good idea or not to do dual PSW310's? Or should I be focusing my funds elsewhere.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-11-2013, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by takingchase View Post

You know I never thought about a phantom center but that may just work beautifully. Any suggestions for speakers that I should be saving up for? I'd really like to avoid replacing my Receiver so the best that I can get that would still work with it would be great. Also, that 10" sub I have seems to be getting discounted pretty deep these days, I can probably pick up another another one for $300. Good idea or not to do dual PSW310's? Or should I be focusing my funds elsewhere.

You're going to have to set a budget that you can see yourself realistically saving for, and then we can make recommendations. Things can get pretty crazy around here if you leave that open

That sub is solid, but you can get deeper extension these days. Once you set a budget we can see how things fit together.

We still need your room dimensions as well.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-11-2013, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

You're going to have to set a budget that you can see yourself realistically saving for, and then we can make recommendations. Things can get pretty crazy around here if you leave that open

That sub is solid, but you can get deeper extension these days. Once you set a budget we can see how things fit together.

We still need your room dimensions as well.

If I'm keeping my AVR, realistically I would like to keep my budget at $1000 for the center and two fronts. I can probably spend more if I'm buying the pieces individually over time. I'm just working on growing my own business and all the little surprises that come with a new house so I know if I set my budget higher I can save for it but chances are something will happen over time that I'll need to dip into my speaker fund for. $1000 at this time is feasible to collect without dipping into for other bills. These Yambeka towers are pretty nice for the budget price so I would like to move them to being my rears unless I'm going to be pushing my AVR too hard by doing that. I know timbre matching the fronts is important but I'm not sure how important it is for the rears, so that may be another problem with it if you guys tell me so. I promise I'll get dimensions soon, I can't find my darn tape measure so I'm getting ready to just go out to walmart and pick one up to snap a photo of the room and measurements to the pic.

I'm also comfortable downgrading my 7.1 to 5.1 if it means I can push more power to better speakers.(I may be completely off base, my audio knowledge is ****)

Thanks everyone for the help so far, you guys have always been and continue to be awesome. I wish I had something more to contribute to the boards other than asking for help all the time.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-11-2013, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Matching is less important for the rears. I would just worry about your front sound stage for the time being. The phantom center is a good plan, and this lets you focus on a good pair of towers.

Some options include:

Polk RTiA7
EMP E55Ti
PSB Image T5
JBL L890
Klipsch RF-62 II
Energy CF-70

I have never heard your speakers and don't see a lot of information on them, so it's hard to say what kind of sound you are accustomed to. My best advice is to go out and try to listen to a lot of different speakers so you can at least narrow down the kind of sound you are looking for. You have a lot of options at the $1000 price point so take advantage and do some auditioning.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page