Speaker System for Desktop/TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-11-2013, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone. I am new to these forums, and frankly new to all the audio equipment. In short, I do not know much about the hardware required, and what is good and bad, so I would appreciate all the help and advice I can get.

So I am looking into creation an audio set-up for my studio apartment (600ish sq ft, if that helps). The purpose of the system will be mainly for music, and the occasional movies. I have a lot of people over on weekends, and I do enjoy listening to music (trance (Armin, Markus Schulz, W&W, etc), house (sander van doorn, gareth emery, david gueta, ferry corsten, etc) and rock and metal (disturbed, tool, godsmack, AC/DC, Pearl Jam, etc). Essentially I want a good sound system for my own personal enjoyment (music and movies, and some games), as well as when I have people over for some parties or pre-drinking. I want to connect the sound system to a computer (if possible).

I have been looking at several speakers, and these two are on the top of my list (like I said, I do not know to much about these things. I am looking at the Polk Audio 45B bookshelf, as well as the Polk Audio 65T. Currently I am thinking of getting 2x Polk Audio 65T or just a set of Polk Audio 45B. I am also looking at subwoofers as well, although given the size of the room I am not sure if they are necessary. Anyway I am looking into the Klipsch RW12-d. My budget is at most $1000, but given that I am student I would prefer something cheaper if possible, but of a good quality.

My question therefore is, is the Klipsch subwoofer necessary? In terms of the Polk Audio 65T, are they good for the price or are there any towers that are as good/better but at the same or even lower price? Same question applies for the #Polk Audio 45B. Would you recommend going with a tower or bookshelf given the needs I have described? And lastly, and most importantly, what extra equipment do I need (so type of amp, I guess) in order to connect such a system to a computer (laptop), or is it even possible, or would I need a received and have the system connected to a TV?

Thank you very much for all your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-12-2013, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Welcome to the forums! I think a 2.1 setup would work well for you, and you can get a lot more value from bookshelves than towers. You are going to need a receiver or integrated amp to power your speakers, and that is what you would connect your laptop to. If you use iTunes, you can simply stream your music over the network to most receivers.

A home theater receiver will offer you the most features and best value, even though you are only using 2 channels. I would recommend the Denon AVR-1613, it has Audyssey MultEQ room correction software to really enhance the sound quality of your speakers by taking in to account position and room acoustics. It is network enabled and you can stream music and use internet radio services like Pandora. They are last year's models and you can get a manufacturer refurbished unit from www.accessories4less.com for $219.

For speakers, I would pair them with the Focal 706V or Wharfedale 10.2 bookshelf speakers. Both are well reviewed and look very nice.

With the rest of your budget, I would get a sub that is a little more musical than the RW-12D, something like the HSU STF-2 would work well.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #3 of 4 Old 07-12-2013, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 256
If you do not already have a receiver or amplifier, the best thing to get might be a pair of self-powered speakers (with amplifiers built in). They connect directly to the sound output jack on any PC or laptop.

The new PSB PS-1 speakers are apparently very good, and cost $299 per pair from Crutchfield and others. I would recommend them.

You can get a Klipsch RW-12D subwoofer for around $300 if you want additional bass; it is very good for the price.

There is no point in getting tower speakers if you are going to have a subwoofer.

Going this route will eliminate the need to buy an amplifier or receiver.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-12-2013, 07:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 778
600 sq feet is a pretty good sized room in area. How tall is the ceiling? Subs "see" the entire room volume (not just area). If you want good sub bass, then the RW-12d is probably your best choice for $300 or less.

If you have high ceilings, even it may not be enough. In that case, if sub bass output for EDM and movie watching is important to you, and you want people to be able to hear the bass at party volume, I would recommend the Premier Acoustics PA-150, which is a 15" sub. Used to be that Acoustic Sound Design would take an offer of $379 shipped for the PA-150.

Since that is a large room, for speakers, be sure to get speakers with a higher sensitivity rating (89db or higher). That Denon 1613 is a very good choice for being able to fill the room with sound, too. The 1612 (the 2012 version of that amp) was measured to put out over 118 watts when driving 2 channels.

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page