Stereo Input vs 2-way speakers... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-12-2013, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey there:

Is it better to go with stereo input speakers or 2 way speakers?

I am putting them in my basement which has one room that is about 400 sq ft and another room that is about 200 sq ft.
Would placement be different in each room? Both are rectangular rooms (26' x 15') and (18' x 12).

Any advice would be a great help!!!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2013, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Your question makes no sense.
I see you have two rooms, so you want to have audio in both? From one source?
A 2-way speaker is a speaker with two drivers. One tweeter, one woofer.
Stereo input speakers????
Old 07-14-2013, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Get two-way (or three-way) speakers. (No idea what "stereo input speakers" are.). Placement in each room will depend on the location of the respective listening position.

-- Edit --
If this is what a stereo speaker is, it's amusing:
Quote:
The RC6s in-wall/in-ceiling speaker ... includes two soft dome tweeters for true stereo highs, and a 6-1/2" ... woofer with dual voice coils, which generates left and right channel mids and bass for lifelike stereo imaging. ... it's ideal for larger areas where a stationary "sweet spot" won't do. You've experienced it before: at one end of the room, you hear the guitar and vocals from the left channel, and at the other end, you get the bass and drums from the right. If you're lucky enough to be standing in just the right spot, you might be able to hear it all. But the RC6s makes these issues moot by delivering stereo sound from a single speaker.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Yeah, that is the stereo input speaker saw. I assume those are for small baths and such?
Old 07-15-2013, 05:45 PM

Liked: 14
Ignore those speakers as it is just a marketing gimmick. I would advise against in wall speakers in general as they perform far worse than equally priced traditional speakers.
Daren

Darenwh

Just getting started. Hope to have some decent equipment within a year or two.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephed666 View Post

I assume those are for small baths and such?
Yes. For when you will only be using one single speaker to reproduce 2 channels of info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darenwh View Post

Ignore those speakers as it is just a marketing gimmick.
How is it a "marketing gimmick"? They are pretty up-front and clear about what it is for and what it does.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
Old 07-17-2013, 09:53 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

Yes. For when you will only be using one single speaker to reproduce 2 channels of info.
How is it a "marketing gimmick"? They are pretty up-front and clear about what it is for and what it does.

Sound propogates out from where it is produced much like rings expand from where a rock is thrown into the water. Stereo sound stage is created between two stereo speakers, the left speaker and the right speaker, with the sound stage size determined by the seperation of the two speakers. If you have two tweeters seperated by an inch then your sound stage will only be an inch at it's widest. It does not matter if the two speakers are pointed slightly away from each other as that does very little to expand the effective sound stage. Lets say it doubled the sound stage, which I would say is quite generous, then you would be purchasing this speaker to create a sound stage about two inches wide. That seperation is so small that it may as well not exist. So, this is more of a gimmic than a true benefit. The only benefit I can see to using one of these would be for a little background music in a small area. I would not expect this speaker to suddenly turn the whole room into a sweet spot with great stereo imaging anywhere you go in the room. I would be surprised if even a single location got ok stereo imaging from these speakers. Also, in wall speakers are poorer performers than traditional speakers. To expect a 6" cone woofer to go deep for bass is also really exagerating the performance of a speaker like this.

This is not to say this speaker will not sound good. Polk makes some good speakers, just what they are stating it does is likely more talking the talk than walking the walk. Just don't expect deep bass with good seperation from a dual voice coil 6" woofer and good stereo seperation of the highs from the tweeters being pointed in slightly different directions.

Ok everybody who read about this speaker, submit a vote. Yes, it's marketting talk and should be taken with a grain of salt or No, these things are the real deal holy grail of speaker design?

Darenwh

Just getting started. Hope to have some decent equipment within a year or two.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

If this is what a stereo speaker is, it's amusing:
Quote:
The RC6s in-wall/in-ceiling speaker ... includes two soft dome tweeters for true stereo highs, and a 6-1/2" ... woofer with dual voice coils, which generates left and right channel mids and bass for lifelike stereo imaging. ... it's ideal for larger areas where a stationary "sweet spot" won't do. You've experienced it before: at one end of the room, you hear the guitar and vocals from the left channel, and at the other end, you get the bass and drums from the right. If you're lucky enough to be standing in just the right spot, you might be able to hear it all. But the RC6s makes these issues moot by delivering stereo sound from a single speaker.

They certainly have a different definition of sweet spot than I do. Hearing it all is not the same as imaging. Why not mix to mono then?