Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By NewHTbuyer

post #1 of 7 Old 07-12-2013, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I am looking to upgrade my current speaker setup in my home theater. I just recently purchased a Pioneer Elite SC-68 receiver and have been looking at the SVS Ultra Series and the Golden Ear Triton Two Series. I will be replacing a set of Emotiva ERT-8.3 mains, an ERM-6.3 center, ERD-1 surrounds, and an Ultra 12 Sub. I really like the idea of the full range mains because I listen to as much music as I do watching movies. I was just wondering if anyone who owned either of these speaker systems could help me out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-12-2013, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I demoed the Triton two in a store and I own the Ultra towers. Before I give my opinion, I would say that if you really have narrowed it down to those two, you really should try to compare in your own home. I am assuming there is a Goldenear dealer near you, since they are only sold through stores. Most dealers hate trial periods or allowing returns, but if you press them, they usually agree to it, in one form or another. SVS has a risk free 45 day in home trial, free shipping both ways. So, that way you can decide which you like better.

I thought the bass on the Tritons was a bit bloated, but again, it was in a store showroom. They both have huge amounts of bass for tower speakers, so in that regard they are more similar than different. The GE ribbon type tweeter has gotten oodles of praise, but unless you had it side by side with the Aluminum dome of the Ultra, it would be hard to make a good comparison.

For me, paying more for the Triton2 was not worth it. The Triton 3 is actually priced the same as the Ultra towers, at $2,000. I think a pair of Triton 2s is closer to $3,000.

Anyway, again I would urge you to try a head to head comparison in your room with your amps. Oh, just do not mention to the dealer you are doing a comparison or they will probably really get pissed. Just say you really love them and you are almost certainly going to keep them you just want to make sure that, on the small chance it doesn't work out, you can return them.

Oh....if you do this, it would be great to post pics and let us know what you thought of the two models.

Good luck.
darthray likes this.

post #3 of 7 Old 07-18-2013, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 18
The nearest Golden Ear dealer is over 2 hours away. They did offer to drop ship me the product for no extra charge but I want to hear it first. I'm leaning towards the SVS because of the 45 day in home trial. I currently have a Pioneer SC-68, do you think that will be enough to drive the Ultras?
post #4 of 7 Old 07-18-2013, 11:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 39
I run my Ultras off an HK 3490 2ch receiver. I believe that the Pioneer is a bit more powerful into 2 channels but a bit less with 5 or 7 channels going at once. Here are the measurements I found:

http://www.hometheater.com/content/pioneer-elite-sc-68-av-receiver-ht-labs-measures

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/receivers/hk-3490/hk-3490-measurements

My room is not that big, about 17x17x8 feet and I sit about 10 feet from the speakers. I have found that the HK seems to have plenty of power. TV listening volume is around -35db. Moderately loud music is around -25 and it gets very loud at around -15 on the volume control. I bet that if I threw a bigger amp, like and Emotiva XPA-2, on there, the speakers would have even more headroom. But in general, the Pioneer is a pretty powerful receiver and should do fine unless your room is as big as a barn!

I still think you should try to compare head to head. I really found it enlightening to do that. It may cost a bit more for shipping the GEs back, but $2,000+ for speakers is a big investment and you really should make sure you are happy.

post #5 of 7 Old 03-18-2014, 10:08 PM

Liked: 10

I am also looking to upgrade my system and have focused in on the Golden Ear Triton Two and SVS Ultra towers. I do have a store somewhat near me to "audition" the Golden Ears in but I don't know about buying them and returning them if I decide I might like the SVS Ultras better, maybe they would go for it, don't know. I think to start I'll just go listen to the Tritons  in the store and see what I think of them on their own merits. I know they have subwoofer(s) within the speakers whereas the Ultras do not so that's nice in a way but I have a very large tiled room with 12 foot ceilings so am thinking right now I will probably end up getting a SVS subwoofer (probably PC13 Ultra) to supplement regardless of which speaker I choose.  I'll be happy to share my listening experience with the Tritons after I hear them. As NewHTBuyer pointed out it might not be quite the same as a home audition (unless they happen to have a large tiled demo room with no rugs lol) but I should be able to get an idea of their overall sound quality.

As for the Ultra Towers I am confident after talking to SVS that a home audition is not a problem and they have good customer service reputation in that respect (of course re-packing them might not be fun).  They are somewhat new but have also garnished great reviews.  One thing I did notice about the Ultra Towers is they are not as efficient as the Tritons and my current Onkyo receiver is not as powerful as either your Pioneer or HK so I may need a new top line receiver or maybe even a separate amp. The person I talked to at SVS hinted as much.  Something to think about.

Please share any additional knowledge/listening experience you gain along the way and I will do the same.

Cheers

post #6 of 7 Old 04-26-2014, 01:50 PM

Liked: 29
Any updates to this? Anyone compare the Triton 7s to the Ultras?
post #7 of 7 Old 06-19-2014, 10:35 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace79 View Post
Any updates to this? Anyone compare the Triton 7s to the Ultras?
Bump!

ComradeBrehznev

Reply Speakers

Tags
Pioneer Elite Sc 68 9 2 Channel Thx Ultra 2 Plus A V Receiver , Harman Kardon Hk 3490 120 Watt Stereo Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page