Need help with choosing speakers and proper placement / setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 07-13-2013, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I’m an A/V noob and need some help planning a surround sound system. I tend to over think this stuff, mostly because I will install the speakers in the wall and want to make the right choices the first time.

I already have the receiver which is a 7.2 Yamaha RX-V867.
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v867/

I would like to know:
1.) Speaker brand & size recommendations (in-wall, in-ceiling)
2.) Best speaker placement for a smaller room (15’x10’)
3.) How to get a good balance between music and movies.
4.) Any input you may have

The 10’ is the distance from the couch to the TV. The couch sits directly against the back wall which puts me about 8-9ft from the TV while sitting on it. Since there is no room behind me (except maybe in the wall), it seems like the rear speakers don’t have an ideal placement. Since it is a smaller room, I don’t want them to be the focal point of the room. Low profile is better. My budget is negotiable, but would like to keep the cost under 2k.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-13-2013, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
actually, for a Dolby 5.1 speaker setup, the two surround speakers are located more on the sides and the true rear speakers are only added in a 7.1 setup.
http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/setup/connection-guide/home-theater-speaker-guide/index.html

If you have the ability to do in-wall wiring, then I would recommend in-wall speakers over downfiring in-ceiling speakers. I find the "voice from above" effect too noticeable in a small room.

What is your speaker budget ? In-wall speakers can go from $80 a pair to thousands of dollars each, so we need to narrow the search.

To start with in the good budget speakers....
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10837
http://www.parts-express.com/cat/in-wall-speakers/1933

moving up in price
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hiw-1.html
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-M8Zmlm7eD7c/g_12600/In-wall-Speakers.html?awcp=1t3&awcr=3000026153&awdv=c&awkw=in%20wall%20speakers&awmt=e&awnw=g
post #3 of 15 Old 07-13-2013, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

m_vanmeter, thanks for your input. I can put the center and front L/R speakers in-wall, but unfortunately, the surround and rear L/R must go in ceiling to achieve a symmetrical distance. There are windows obstructing the optimal in-wall locations. As for a budget, $2,500 is probably the limit. To achieve that, I’m looking at $250+tax per speaker (7) and $600+tax for a sub.

My receiver supports 7.2, so I do have the option to include the additional 2 rear speakers, but should I? The rear speakers would have to go above my head as there is no room behind me. That leaves surround speakers going a few feet in front to be angled at me from the sides.
post #4 of 15 Old 07-14-2013, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
No, go with 5 up front for a 7 speaker setup, either height or wide the 867 supports either. I have a 106" projector screen and use height. Since you are using a tv, it's not as important.

I have my surrounds just to the side of the couch on the floor. My speakers are emp, there is a thread for them. The speakers I have for height are on wall, you could get 3 of them for the front.
post #5 of 15 Old 07-14-2013, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

My receiver is 95w per channel and I want a good sound for music in addition to surround sound. Because each speaker has a distinctive role for surround sound, I don’t quite understand what size / type / specs I should be looking for that will also be optimal for music. If playing music, I would use 7ch stereo so the surround & rear speakers will play at 100% volume as opposed to 35% to achieve an even volume between all speakers. How do I go about choosing the right speakers? What do I need to look for any why? Thanks
post #6 of 15 Old 07-14-2013, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
I don't have a specific in wall speaker to recommend, but if you want to play music in full surround, like a multi channel SACD, then I would try to get all of the same exact speakers, or at least as close to the same as possible. Stick with one manufacturer and within the same line of speakers. This is less important for movie watching as the surrounds play mostly effects etc., so for a theater room the surrounds can be from another brand if need be.

Also, most people set the crossover between the speakers and the sub at 80 Hz or so. That means frequencies below 80 will be played by the sub, but above 80 by the speakers. But, that is a gradual handoff, so it is a good idea if the main speakers can play below 80 Hz so there is a seamless transition to the sub. Look for spec that lists the -3 dB point at around 60 Hz or so.

post #7 of 15 Old 07-14-2013, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
What have you listened to so far? If you haven't, get stated!
post #8 of 15 Old 07-17-2013, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

So I had a chance to listen to a few speakers tonight and I was impressed with Klipsch RF-52 II. The sales guy said they were RF-42 II, but the picture I took of the back of them shows RF-52 II. Somebody is wrong. Anyway, they're not in-wall/ceiling like I was looking for, but they sounded pretty awesome as compared to the others in the room. $210 ea seems very reasonable. Space is an issue for me. These are pretty slim and I think I could get by with something this size for the front L/R. Thoughts?
post #9 of 15 Old 09-23-2013, 07:45 AM

I just picked up the RF-52 setup, RF-52,RC-52,RS-42,SW-110
Still tryin to tweak to see if I should upgrade to the 62s
Newbie at this so still trying to understand all the specs.
Small v. Large? Most people are saying make the settings for small, but the dealer just now told me to set it to large?
Anyways...bottom line...the 52's really sound great.
Just wondering if I should get more!
Any thoughts on what to use for 2 subs? I was going to go with a 110 and a 112 or 115 to separate the frequencies? or should I go with 2 110s?
Small vs. large?
My room is 20 x 15 but has 3 door ways...and opens into the kitchen and separate dining room!

Thanks!
post #10 of 15 Old 09-30-2013, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

I think small vs large refers to bass management. Choosing small will send more bass frequencies to your mains. I set all mine to large.
post #11 of 15 Old 09-30-2013, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by dboOnTheGo View Post

I think small vs large refers to bass management. Choosing small will send more bass frequencies to your mains. I set all mine to large.

Other way around. Large setting sends full range signals and small setting limits the signal to whatever the crossover is set to such as 80hz.

Every room is different as are listener preferences so experiment to see what sounds best to you.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #12 of 15 Old 09-30-2013, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 139
The RF 52 system is very nice. A really decent sub will give your system the biggest bang for the bucks.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus Five 200 amp, Chase SS 18.2(2), VS 18.1(2), Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #13 of 15 Old 09-30-2013, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by punjiman View Post

I just picked up the RF-52 setup, RF-52,RC-52,RS-42,SW-110
Still tryin to tweak to see if I should upgrade to the 62s
Newbie at this so still trying to understand all the specs.
Small v. Large? Most people are saying make the settings for small, but the dealer just now told me to set it to large?
Anyways...bottom line...the 52's really sound great.
Just wondering if I should get more!
Any thoughts on what to use for 2 subs? I was going to go with a 110 and a 112 or 115 to separate the frequencies? or should I go with 2 110s?
Small vs. large?
My room is 20 x 15 but has 3 door ways...and opens into the kitchen and separate dining room!

Thanks!

If it were me I'd sell the Klipsch sub since it's new and you could probably get a decent price for it and buy a good internet direct brand sub such as a SVS, Rythmik, PSA, HSU or Outlaw.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #14 of 15 Old 09-30-2013, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

Other way around. Large setting sends full range signals and small setting limits the signal to whatever the crossover is set to such as 80hz.

Agreed. I was trying to say exactly what you said.
post #15 of 15 Old 10-02-2013, 04:41 AM

Thanks for the replies!
I ended up following all the suggestions sort of.
Upgraded to the SW-112, added RB's to make it 7.1 system, and learned that I needed to switch some setting to Dolby PLX instead of PCM....or something like that.
Still yet to experiment with large/small....but I think my system greyed out any subwoofer options when I switched to large...does that make sense? Marantz 6008.
I think I'm happy with the setup.
Yes in the back of my head I'm thinking....RF-62 RF-62 RF-62....but I'll spend that extra money on the PJ....which is now my latest issue.....
Reply Speakers

Tags
Yamaha Rx V867 Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page