Mini speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-14-2013, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thinking of going small. Orb, Cambridge Anthony gallo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-14-2013, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmore View Post

If I may ask, why do you want small?

And what is your usage in what size room with what size budget?

Thanks.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-14-2013, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

I've got ML 4's for front 6 center and 2's in back. Thought about upgrading slowly. Motion 30 for center then esl's for fronts. Still might go that way but realizing I'm always going to be chasing the " best" sound. Also not happy with the 6 for tv and movies. Voices just don't pop out and it seems I have to play with the volume constantly to compensate. So, just thought I'd stop reaching and just go with something w itch a small footprint that sounds good with music and clear for for voices. Budget is sort of unlimited as I'm willing to build slowly to be completely satisfied.
post #4 of 9 Old 07-14-2013, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Any advice blade runner.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-15-2013, 10:05 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmore View Post

I hope your thread gets some helpful input. Like you, I have considering going with smaller speakers and have looked at the speakers you mentioned. I have some older B&W's on stands for LR speakers and between the speakers, the tv, and some furniture that wall seems somewhat crowded.

I have read some good reviews on the Orbs and Anthony Gallo's, but I haven't been able to listen to a pair. I saw some small Jamo's (sp?) at a MHT store, but was unable to listen to them. I assume the Cambridge speakers you are considering are in the Minx line?

David
post #6 of 9 Old 07-15-2013, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't heard any of them either. That's kind of what I wanted to find out, what is even worth looking at. The Cambridge minx 21's seem to get good reviews.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-15-2013, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I'm not familiar with any of the speakers mentioned, but they are all a one-way design -- the same as Bose speakers. A slightly larger speaker with a two-way driver design would be better for producing the full frequency range. The Energy RC-Micro speaker set is a two-way design with 3/4" tweeter and 2.5" mid that isn't much bigger than those one-way orb speakers that use a single 3" driver. A 1" tweet, 3.5" mid would be the ideal combo for small speakers, but I'm not familiar with any that are under 5" wide/deep.

Orb's tag-line is, " Small speakers for smart people. " That in itself would make me stay away from that manufacturer since it is so Bose-like. LOL

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #8 of 9 Old 07-16-2013, 01:14 AM

Liked: 41
The Minx uses BMR's and are not the same as a conventional driver, the FR for the Min21's is ~120/150hz - 20khz and it really is that. These are what the Bose cubes should be, but aren't.

We have a thread you may want to browse at your leisure:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1339511/cambridge-audio-minx-loudspeaker-discussion-thread

I haven't heard the other two, the Jamo's mentioned above aren't worth listening too if it's the spherical speakers he's thinking of. Perpendicular on that thread I believe had the orbs and could tell you what to expect there and how they compare and contrast with the Minx. Otherwise as far as the Minx go, the Min21's are a very nice speaker. Very good clarity and dispersion which produce a sweet area instead of a sweet spot for listening. They are a very musical speaker because of the detail they provide without being harsh or analytical sounding. The dispersion with the clarity and detail that goes with it shines when it comes to dialogue. However, the increasing/decreasing volume has a lot to do with the sound mixing for movies and some tv shows.

The Minx are far better than the RC-Micro's. You aren't missing any low end compared to the Micro's 150hz and the quality of sound is so much better with the Minx.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-16-2013, 04:36 AM

Liked: 52

How small does it need to be?  You are always giving up some performance with small speakers, smaller drivers just don't have the output, dynamics, sensitivity or low frequency extension of a larger speaker.  You will benefit from a two-way speaker as compared to one full range driver.  Here are some small speakers but might be too large.

Genelec G One or G Two

Paradigm MilenniaOne

There are many small 3-4" woofer with a tweeter designs or for a little smaller a coaxial design like Tannoy or Kef.  Going smaller than this is a big compromise.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page