IS it the amp? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 37 Old 07-14-2013, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My right speaker louder then left i have try changing sides etc... also cris cross speaker wire aka put right channel to left and left channel to right and well the loudnest stays on right side no matter what.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 07-14-2013, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Are we to guess at what AVR you are using or will you be posting the information?

Check trim levels for the front channels.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #3 of 37 Old 07-14-2013, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

I'm using AVR 1612 with polk monitor 60's. front left -6.0 and front right -7.0 i have reseted them back to 0.0 but no luck there.And audyssey calibration put them both at 10.8 which i mesure myself and it's correct distance.
post #4 of 37 Old 07-14-2013, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Here my front room hope it gives you a good insight i have moved them in closer before no different really.I took the picture from behind my sitting area have a bed on the left side by the way since its my bedroom and also got the front two at ear level had to use blocks to make it happen.I know room dirty been ratting my brains with working on my soundstage. Also thats a door on the left side.
post #5 of 37 Old 07-14-2013, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 98
That brick wall is enhancing the sound levels from the RH speaker. Also the speakers are too far apart. Pull them closer together and away from the wall then rerun Audyssey and see how it sounds.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #6 of 37 Old 07-14-2013, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 778
^^ I agree...see if you can get the about 18 inches or so from the sidewalls and rerun audyssey.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
LOL!
Why you wouldn't want to join this forum
post #7 of 37 Old 07-14-2013, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Try again no dice still both speakers are like 3feet from center this what i got from running it

FL -6.0
FR -6.5
C -6.5
SL -5.0
SR -6.0

post #8 of 37 Old 07-14-2013, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

So audyssey sets them to within .5 db and yet u perceive one side as louder then the other....what do you get with an SPL meter and test tones? You can get a free ap if you don't have q meter..the ap should be good enough for this purpose.

LOL!
post #9 of 37 Old 07-14-2013, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Also toe in the speakers to point at your listening position.

LOL!
post #10 of 37 Old 07-14-2013, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

I have radio shack meter all speakers show 75db no issue there just not understanding what going on really try the head phones no issues there either. It's hard to see but there angle at me use a tape mesure to aim them right in the middle of my head marked a spot where my head goes on my chair and get a stragiht line from all speakers.
post #11 of 37 Old 07-15-2013, 12:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 655
Could be difference in room acoustics. Audyssey tries to EQ for that, but it may not be able to compensate for everything. Perhaps one side has some frequency emphasis more than the other which gives you a perceived difference in loudness.

You don't have to live with the measurements that Audyssey used. If you feel like one side is louder than the other and it's bothering you, you could always turn it down.

On another note, it surprises me that the room correction would set all those speakers to negative numbers like that. What channel level does it set your subwoofer to?

post #12 of 37 Old 07-15-2013, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Could be difference in room acoustics. Audyssey tries to EQ for that, but it may not be able to compensate for everything. Perhaps one side has some frequency emphasis more than the other which gives you a perceived difference in loudness.

You don't have to live with the measurements that Audyssey used. If you feel like one side is louder than the other and it's bothering you, you could always turn it down.

On another note, it surprises me that the room correction would set all those speakers to negative numbers like that. What channel level does it set your subwoofer to?

I don't have a subwoofer i notice if i move the front too back and forth the sound changes from right to left i have them the same distance from back wall and side wall at the moment and left is overpowering.The shackk meter gives me all negative also try my friend cheap spl meter and i have to go to middle of + to get the speakers to 75db.
post #13 of 37 Old 07-15-2013, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

I watch evil dead blu-ray today heard great reviews on the sound well at the start everything seem ok then when music started playing the sound lean to the right side.
post #14 of 37 Old 07-15-2013, 05:22 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu4000 View Post

I watch evil dead blu-ray today heard great reviews on the sound well at the start everything seem ok then when music started playing the sound lean to the right side.
That is due to they screwed up on the original Master. Even the VHS tape was that way.
post #15 of 37 Old 07-15-2013, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

That is due to they screwed up on the original Master. Even the VHS tape was that way.

I'm not talking about the 1981 version but the 2013 one http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Evil-Dead-Blu-ray/63523/
post #16 of 37 Old 07-15-2013, 08:10 PM

Liked: 32
You guys need to keep this in the one thread, not split to multiple threads. With you throwing something totally unrelated into this thread, who was to know what version you were talking about.
post #17 of 37 Old 07-15-2013, 08:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:

I have radio shack meter all speakers show 75db no issue there just not understanding what going on really try the head phones no issues there either. It's hard to see but there angle at me use a tape mesure to aim them right in the middle of my head marked a spot where my head goes on my chair and get a stragiht line from all speakers.

Place your meter so that it is vertical and slightly above the back of the chair. Then use the test tone and set both speakers to 75db. Now you know they are the same. Listen and see if it still sounds like one speaker is overpowering the other. If it is, get another person to listen and see if they hear the same.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #18 of 37 Old 07-16-2013, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 422
I had a similar issue for a very long time. I always felt like the soundstage was pulled a little to the left and that the left was a little louder. I would switch the speakers, try boosting the right speaker up a bit, but nothing worked.

Finally around a year ago I was messing with my receiver and I noticed that on the manual speaker distance settings they had a ping noise that you can adjust on the fly. The noise is supposed to sound like it is coming from dead center if you have your distance settings correct.

Well, sure enough the ping sounded like it was coming from the left/center instead of dead ahead. I toggled to the right until the ping noise sounded like it was dead center and that ended up giving me different distance settings for the left and right main speaker.

The right ends up being 2.5 inches further on the distance settings than the left speaker.

Personally I think it's my hearing. I have the same issue in other rooms I have been in, the sound always pulls to the left when listening to 2 channel.

This probably isn't your issue, but figured I'd throw it out there just in case because it used to drive me nuts and now it's perfect.
post #19 of 37 Old 07-16-2013, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 295
The only thing I can say is bring the right side up manually? -5 -4 -3 what ever makes it sound better. You don't have to live off of auddyssey settings. Bring it up baby!! biggrin.gif

A couple of quick questions, are you running all 8 seating positions? Also is the room completey quiet when you are running Audy?
post #20 of 37 Old 07-16-2013, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

I took the speakers off the blocks so there not at ear level just below haven't really tested much but will be watching another blu-ray tonight to see if i got it fixed will post back tommorrow about my findings.Also went and got some string since people have said it worked wonders for them with angle speakers and i think i got it just not 100% sure yet.I tested a few things and they seem right with the music stereo and Dolby digtal but one thing that really gets me is them tv shows you know the one with laughing they do seem to pull from one side to the other i'm not sure if that how they recorded or not.
post #21 of 37 Old 07-16-2013, 04:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 192
Another thing to watch for is the vertical angle of the speakers. I had a pair sitting on stands at one time and the floor wasn't level so one was angled up slightly higher and it drove me bonkers that my imaging was off until I figured it out. I would also set it to pure direct or direct or whatever setting turns off eq and see if it still exists.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #22 of 37 Old 07-17-2013, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

I had another person listen and he said the same thing most sound leans a little to the right.I been using the string to hit dead middle so far this what i came up with so far.So far haven't gotten it fixed yet not sure what going on 3 different people beside my self can tell without me telling them anything.
post #23 of 37 Old 07-17-2013, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Two thoughts....

One, are you sure both speakers tweeters work?

Two, do you have access to another receiver or amp to rule yours out as the cause of the problem?

LOL!
post #24 of 37 Old 07-17-2013, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

Two thoughts....

One, are you sure both speakers tweeters work?

Two, do you have access to another receiver or amp to rule yours out as the cause of the problem?

Tweeters are working i can hear them when putting my ear close to it no problem.Yea i have another amp the hk2600 that i left cause i thought it might of been that amp.

What's a good movie really to test soundstage and surrounds? i listen to a little music i can hear vocal coming from between the left and right and also hear the bass and symbols etc... is that how the sound stage suppose to sound?
post #25 of 37 Old 07-17-2013, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Tweeters are working i can hear them when putting my ear close to it no problem.Yea i have another amp the hk2600 that i left cause i thought it might of been that amp.

What's a good movie really to test soundstage and surrounds? i listen to a little music i can hear vocal coming from between the left and right and also hear the bass and symbols etc... is that how the sound stage suppose to sound?

For music it depends on the recording. Van Halen, for example, on all their old (good) albums put Eddie's guitar in the left speaker and the bass guitar in the right speaker. Some recordings the singer is slightly off center while others like the Beatles have some songs that the singer is all in one speaker.

Most have the singer dead center and then it just depends for the rest of the instruments so if you are hearing the vocals in the center that would be correct most of the time.
post #26 of 37 Old 07-17-2013, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

For music it depends on the recording. Van Halen, for example, on all their old (good) albums put Eddie's guitar in the left speaker and the bass guitar in the right speaker. Some recordings the singer is slightly off center while others like the Beatles have some songs that the singer is all in one speaker.

Most have the singer dead center and then it just depends for the rest of the instruments so if you are hearing the vocals in the center that would be correct most of the time.
I see what you mean some music voices lean a little off center very annoying sounding.What song from Van Halen would you say is a good song to test it fully?
post #27 of 37 Old 07-17-2013, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I see what you mean some music voices lean a little off center very annoying sounding.What song from Van Halen would you say is a good song to test it fully?

I just listened to Running with the Devil. Eddie's guitar is all left speaker, bass guitar, Dave's voice, and drums are in the center. Bass and Drums not as pinpoint as Dave's voice (they are wider) but still all in the center. Listen for a nice subtle cymbal at the 48 second mark that is only heard in the right speaker.

Here is a good song to test how wide (or even surround) your soundstage is. If you have spotify look up the song on the new Black Sabbath album called, "Age of Reason". In the last part of the song you will hear some choir like background singing, and around the 6:20 to 6:40 and on the choir singing will sound like it is coming from side surround speakers, it's pretty cool. Also in that song Ozzy's voice is dead center, and Toni's guitar is not dead center, instead they have him playing seperately in each speaker so you will hear 2 distinct guitars, 1 coming from each speaker instead of the middle. The drums are HUGE and take up the entire front sound stage. The bass guitar is dead center like ozzy's voice, to really hear the bass guitar check out around 4:50 on.

If you don't have spotify go ahead and buy the album.... or at least that song (ha, and then you will by the album anyway) and you will be glad you did, I was blown away at how good this album is and was NOT expecting to even have an interest in it - until I heard it. smile.gif
ryu4000 likes this.
post #28 of 37 Old 07-17-2013, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually that "surround choir" singing starts at 5:55. I hear it more pronounced where my right side surround speaker is than the left (even though only the mains are on, just stereo).
ryu4000 likes this.
post #29 of 37 Old 07-17-2013, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

I just listened to Running with the Devil. Eddie's guitar is all left speaker, bass guitar, Dave's voice, and drums are in the center. Bass and Drums not as pinpoint as Dave's voice (they are wider) but still all in the center. Listen for a nice subtle cymbal at the 48 second mark that is only heard in the right speaker.

Here is a good song to test how wide (or even surround) your soundstage is. If you have spotify look up the song on the new Black Sabbath album called, "Age of Reason". In the last part of the song you will hear some choir like background singing, and around the 6:20 to 6:40 and on the choir singing will sound like it is coming from side surround speakers, it's pretty cool. Also in that song Ozzy's voice is dead center, and Toni's guitar is not dead center, instead they have him playing seperately in each speaker so you will hear 2 distinct guitars, 1 coming from each speaker instead of the middle. The drums are HUGE and take up the entire front sound stage. The bass guitar is dead center like ozzy's voice, to really hear the bass guitar check out around 4:50 on.

If you don't have spotify go ahead and buy the album.... or at least that song (ha, and then you will by the album anyway) and you will be glad you did, I was blown away at how good this album is and was NOT expecting to even have an interest in it - until I heard it. smile.gif

Wow that song was sweet i heard the 2 guitars in each speaker plus toward the end that was symbols right coming from right speaker?the bass guitar seems like it coming a little to the left for me.
post #30 of 37 Old 07-17-2013, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow that song was sweet i heard the 2 guitars in each speaker plus toward the end that was symbols right coming from right speaker?the bass guitar seems like it coming a little to the left for me.

Ha, you made me listen to it again. Damn, the last minute or so is incredible I just keep turning it up - goosebumps.

I hear cymbals all over the front soundstage but no more in the right than left.

Have you tried tweaking your distance settings? Increase your distance settings of the "lesser" speaker by a few inches. This means the sound from the "lesser" speaker will get to you a hair quicker which might solve your soundstage issue, it did for me.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Denon Avr 1612 Receiver , Polk Audio Am6095 B Monitor60 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black Each
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page