5.1 Speakers Recommendation 6-7k range ? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 37 Old 07-16-2013, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 466
I think a pair of small sealed subs would be great, a pair of SB12-NSD are compact and would give an even articulate bass response in the room.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 07-16-2013, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by isingh View Post

Thanks guys, these are valuable inputs. Dual sub is where I am struggling too, it seems over kill for that small room. :O

The point of dual non-colocated subs is not to increase the bass response, but rather to even it out spatially. Unless your friend sits in the same exact spot with the same exact body posture, dual subs will have a significant additional value.
Jay1 likes this.
post #33 of 37 Old 07-16-2013, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

I guess the X4000 isnt that badly priced, but he could still get an Onkyo 818, Denon 4311, or any number of older models with XT32 still. A receiver is basically a 5 year investment, after that point it is practically obsolete. Only spending as much as you need, to get the features you need should be the goal.
I bought the 4520, but I would have certainly have thought about the x4000, if it were available when I bought mine. I also have been reading about the Onkyo TX-NR 5010 and what a beast it is.
post #34 of 37 Old 07-16-2013, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 95
For that size room Def-tech 600 set up system and Denon 1913 receiver
post #35 of 37 Old 07-18-2013, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

GIEGAR, you can get in touch with Dennis Murphy directly through philharmonicaudio.com, but I know he is busy preparing for CAF in Washington DC two weeks from now.

I understand the potential enhancement to audio quality using two subs, but in a 10x12 room? You're talking about 8% of total floor space taken up by subs. Not everyone is a basshead, one decent and relatively compact subwoofer will work fine, especially for the non-audiophile who originally only wanted a 2.1 system. Just sayin', not challengin' smile.gif
Understood 'hawk. No worries at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isingh View Post

Thanks guys, these are valuable inputs. Dual sub is where I am struggling too, it seems over kill for that small room. :O
Yeah, I struggled a bit with the idea of dual subs in that room, but thought your friend had a good healthy budget for a 5.(1) system and at $1900 shipped the duals are ~30% of the total $6500. I thought that was a reasonable split of budget.

Also, as others have pointed out, dual subs aren't necessarily about increased output. A second sub won't take the bass from satisfying to bonecrushing... just to more satisfying for more seats.

Again, is your friends room fully enclosed (sealed) or does it have openings to other areas of the house?
post #36 of 37 Old 07-18-2013, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No, it's pretty much closed room with a window and a door. He is planning to cover that window with sound proof covering.
post #37 of 37 Old 07-18-2013, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 334
^ Thanks. You are well and truly covered for subwooferage then. wink.gif

If you're still uncomfortable with dual subs, you could go for a single Rythmik F12SE initially and see how well it sets up in the room. If you detect you're getting a hit and miss room response, then look to a second identical Rythmik. (You will likely miss out on the "10% off for duals" discount though.)
Reply Speakers

Tags
Yamaha Rx A3020 9 2 Channel Network Aventage Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - A3020 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page