I just purchased an older town home and now I am trying to plan my very modest home theater setup and I am pretty much new to speaker setups, so go easy on me. I am replacing a Bose Acoustimass10 HTIB because it underwhelmed me (surprise surprise...)
What I currently have is:
- Denon AVR-891
- 46" Samsung LCD TV (will be upgraded to a bigger TV likely around Black Friday)
- Just bought a pair of Polk Monitor60's for cheap
Mostly do TV/Movie watching and gaming, and some music listening, but my wife and I are by no means audiophiles.
So my TV room is a little small and a little strange. Forgive the bad pictures, but I cant take any of my own yet as we haven't taken possession yet. I also don't have much in the way of dimensions either, which sucks.
So here is the room the theater will be in:
I know its not a great pic, but maybe it'll give a little idea of the room size.
Also here is a picture of the adjoining dining room (for acoustics purposes)
Finally here is an awesome paint depiction of the way I plan on having it set up.
- brown things are tables
- the green thing is a chair
- the grey thing is a sectional
- the blue thing is where my media components will be
- the cyan thing is the TV
- the magenta squares are the Monitor 60's
So I have approximately $1,000 budget for:
- surround rears
- center channel
My first questions are about placement
1. Where should the sub go? In the corner beside the speaker?
2. Should the sub be down firing or side firing?
3. Should I be mounting the center channel below the TV (assuming it is at eye level while on the couch), directly above the TV, or on the ceiling pointing downwards?
4. Where should I be mounting the rear surrounds? At ear level, or on the ceiling pointing down?
My other questions are about what I should purchase
A. I understand that the sub is likely the most important speaker, so should I be looking at one of the entry-level HSUs?
B. What should I get for a center? A Polk CS2/CS20?
C. What should I get for rears? (this is likely the area where I can increase the budget). Monitor 30's are on for cheap right now, but I wonder if I need something multi directional?
Finally, I will likely be in this place for a long time and chances are I won't be upgrading for awhile after this. Thanks in advance for the help.