Bang and Olufsen Penta replacement driver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-17-2013, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I picked up a pair of Beolab Pentas for a reasonable price and am going to resell them, but one of the woofers is blown--voice coil scraping, popping sound with any bass content. I have been looking for a replacement driver, but they are outrageously priced (over $80 each shipped from England for a repaired driver). The impedance on each individual driver is about 24 ohms--a driver impedance rating I had never heard of, so finding a suitable substitute is unlikely. So my problem is, should I pay the high price to get a reconed driver, try to find someone willing to rework my bad driver, keep trying to find a high impedance driver that might work out, or cannibalize the speakers to sell the individual drivers to other people who are in a similar situation? If there is enough of a market to sell the individual drivers, I could end up with some nice amps to drive a future project. But those towers would be a terrible thing to waste.

If any of you know a source for an equivalent driver or a reasonably priced direct replacement, please let me know. If you are interested in some components for a Penta, I guess you could let me know that, too.

Thanks for your help.