Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 227 Old 01-21-2014, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You really don't get the hate?

Just look at this:

http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/home_theater/home_theater_for_your_hdtv/lifestyle_v_class/index.jsp#main

GamerTag= Phaleronic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 227 Old 01-21-2014, 10:16 AM

You can buy something as small, with better sound, and a real A/V receiver for less than $1000.

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-NS-SP1800BL-5-1-Channel-Theater-Speaker/dp/B001AVRD62/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390328098&sr=8-1&keywords=5.1+home+theater+speakers

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Channel-Receiver-VSX-1123-Black/dp/B00BKXCKRC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1390328201&sr=8-3&keywords=Pioneer+receiver

GamerTag= Phaleronic
post #183 of 227 Old 01-21-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevypower View Post

Regardless of what OS you prefer, Apple still uses decent components in their computers.

Of course Apple uses decent components in their computers - including a raft or two of parts from Intel.

Quote:
Bose does not.

Prove it.
Quote:
I think that is the point that Vital was making.

Without adequate documentation, he has made no points. Just saying so is not the same as documenting it.

I've seen the guts of a few Bose items and they are no better or worse inside than competitive products.

If someone has evidence I'd like to see it. If someone is just blowing hot and cold, whatever!
post #184 of 227 Old 01-21-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Of course Apple uses decent components in their computers - including a raft or two of parts from Intel.
Prove it.
Without adequate documentation, he has made no points. Just saying so is not the same as documenting it.

I've seen the guts of a few Bose items and they are no better or worse inside than competitive products.

If someone has evidence I'd like to see it. If someone is just blowing hot and cold, whatever!

So have I, and I've sat and listened to two of their demo rooms. Their speakers have tiny magnets and ****** cones, sometimes it looks like untreated paper. Their demo rooms sound terrible, way too bright, very little real midbass/lowbass, and no depth. I couldn't believe how bad their rooms sound, even compared to my modest home theater setup.

GamerTag= Phaleronic
post #185 of 227 Old 01-21-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 71
The material that the cone is made out of is irrelevant. Many high end manufacturers use untreated paper cones.

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #186 of 227 Old 01-21-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

The material that the cone is made out of is irrelevant. Many high end manufacturers use untreated paper cones.

Not wafer thin.

GamerTag= Phaleronic
post #187 of 227 Old 01-21-2014, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 258

I think some of you are losing sight of what is important from the buyer's perspective.  True enough, materials and such matter to the designer.  But when you are the buyer, what matters are the performance results, not how they are achieved.  For Bose little cube performance, take a look at the measurements at:

http://web.archive.org/web/20130121081646/http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

Anything that measures like that is crap, no matter what it is made of.  And I am sure that a competent designer could, if desired, make something that measures that poorly when using the finest materials possible.

You should buy speakers for the results.  Looking at materials is not a reliable guide for how good a product is.  If you doubt that, consider this:

http://www.hb-cable-design.com/1_english/ps_2.html

Do any of you suppose that the marble helps the performance of the device?  Fine materials alone do not make a fine product.

You cannot know which of two products is better solely from the materials from which they are constructed.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #188 of 227 Old 01-21-2014, 03:25 PM

Liked: 18
I've been using an Acoustimass 15 Speaker System since 1998 and am very happy. Never blown a speaker, very loud, and a lot of bass. My girlfriend thinks they are fine too. That's two opinions, and her hearing is better than mine. Great for movies also. I think a lot of the dislike lies in the AVR that they are run through. Btw, my AVR is a Sony. For my two way setup I custom built enclosures for Rockford Fosgate speakers, if you want hearing damage I'd look into that.

I remember when products were built to last.
post #189 of 227 Old 01-21-2014, 03:31 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 710
Most of us aren't looking for hearing damage. We're looking for accurate reproduction. Good luck with your approach.
post #190 of 227 Old 01-21-2014, 03:34 PM

So in your opinion what is the par none system to own. We'd like to know. Also, while I realize most people strive to find the most accurate sound reproduction, there comes a point when your spending money that you don't need to spend. Your guests only care when their favorite movie or song is on. Ultimately it's you that has to be happy. I wouldn't overlook Fosgate speakers, at least hundreds of thousands car audio enthusiasts can't be wrong. People don't realize how great they sound in the house. Take one of your favorite movies to the audio shop that sells them and hear for yourself. Very accurate.

post #191 of 227 Old 01-21-2014, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmikester1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJoJo View Post

you are aware that sony speakers are made by bose ?

Are you serious or just joking? If you are serious, please post some proof.

no i'm pretty serious. only a few speakers where not made by bose and suprisingly they sound better. i have no proof in terms of online pages nor do i want to look some up. you just have to take it from me or ask some insiders. :)

Klipsch RF-82-II 150W 33Hz-24KHz

Klipsch RC-64-II 200W 59Hz-24KHz

Klipsch RS-62-II 150W 50Hz-24KHz

Yamaha YST-SW800/1500 Subwoofers 1000W RMS 6 Ohm 18-170 hz

Yamaha RX-463 Amp 5x100W RMS

Monitor flatline 1.5mm pro wire

Samsung UE-ES8000S TV

PS3

post #192 of 227 Old 01-21-2014, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaFan63 View Post

I've been using an Acoustimass 15 Speaker System since 1998 and am very happy. Never blown a speaker, very loud, and a lot of bass. My girlfriend thinks they are fine too. That's two opinions, and her hearing is better than mine. Great for movies also. I think a lot of the dislike lies in the AVR that they are run through. Btw, my AVR is a Sony. For my two way setup I custom built enclosures for Rockford Fosgate speakers, if you want hearing damage I'd look into that.

wait until you hear a real HT system.... eek.gif
post #193 of 227 Old 01-21-2014, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:

The only problem with this is that it would be pretty much the same thing as a kid who drives a honda civic with a loud muffler and believes he has a high performance sports car.  The point is, there are many many much better quality 5.1 speaker setups that can be combined with an entry level AVR and have drastically superior sound quality.  The kid with the honda civic thinks it is fast only because his experience is too limited to know any better.

AVR:       Yamaha RXV-375

Display:  Panasonic  TH-50PC77U

LCR:       Hsu HB1.2  HC1.2

Sub:       (2) PSA XV15se

Blu Ray:  Sony BDP-S5100

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

post #194 of 227 Old 01-21-2014, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
"Your guests only care when their favorite movie or song is on."

Who are you buying a system for?? Frankly, I don't much care what guests think about my system. I bought it for me. If they don't like it, let them get their own.
post #195 of 227 Old 01-21-2014, 07:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogozhin View Post

Quote:

Prove it.

So have I, and I've sat and listened to two of their demo rooms. Their speakers have tiny magnets and ****** cones, sometimes it looks like untreated paper.

You mean like this one?

The magnet dominates - its nearly as large in diameter as the cone and makes up almost half the size of the speaker driver.

The above shows a Bose speaker with a titanium diaphragm.

Trust me, I'm not a Bose fan and hope to never be one, but I feel that it is important to remain factual.
post #196 of 227 Old 01-21-2014, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1349
Quote:

no i'm pretty serious. only a few speakers where not made by bose and suprisingly they sound better. i have no proof in terms of online pages nor do i want to look some up. you just have to take it from me or ask some insiders. smile.gif
I'm an insider. Bose does not make Sony speakers.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #197 of 227 Old 01-21-2014, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Quote:

no i'm pretty serious. only a few speakers where not made by bose and suprisingly they sound better. i have no proof in terms of online pages nor do i want to look some up. you just have to take it from me or ask some insiders. smile.gif
I'm an insider. Bose does not make Sony speakers.

back in the days they made all drivers for sony speakers. ifaik jamo and bose make the majority of drivers for retail speakers

Samsung UE-ES8000S TV

PS3

post #198 of 227 Old 01-21-2014, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

back in the days they made all drivers for sony speakers. ifaik jamo and bose make the majority of drivers for retail speakers
No. Not by a very long shot.

post #199 of 227 Old 01-21-2014, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No. Not by a very long shot.

then we have to disagree with eachother. interaudio and studiocraft for example also made by bose. sony speakers back in the days too. philips speakers made of jamo drivers. etc.

Samsung UE-ES8000S TV

PS3

post #200 of 227 Old 01-21-2014, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 42
This is my take on the "Bose Hatred".

They earned it, at least from this crowd. After their 901/501 days they developed the tiny speaker "Marketing Machine". In the retail world it's going to the "Marketing Machine Hall of Fame". The product itself was insignificant. But it's marketing made us out as the bad guy. Back in the day we knew to get great sound you needed a bigger speaker, especially a sub woofer. Some of today's technology wasn't available back then. So more cones in a bigger box was the rule. So Omar seized the moment with the unknowing. And you have to give him credit for that.

But their commercials were aimed right at us. I started justifying my system all the time. Yup, I learned to hate Bose.
In their commercials it said their tiny little speakers sounded just as good as my big boxes. I think at that time I had Polk SDA speakers with their extra interconnect cable. See there you go, extra cables. I was even hearing it from my wife.

Fast forward to today with rooms full of good to great equipment and me being relentless in my pursuit of great sound. We inherited one of the Bose thingies with the cubes. I fixed it and put it the bathroom for my wife. For Christmas she asked for real speakers. Yikes, headway. I bought her some NuForce S3-BT wireless speakers with Bluetooth Aptx and SKAA. She uses her Galaxy S3 with Aptx and she's thrilled. It's our place to educate, not give in.

So Omar Bose was so slick with his marketing, making you the object of his derision, that you didn't really know why you HATED BOSE.

Patrick
post #201 of 227 Old 01-21-2014, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

then we have to disagree with eachother. interaudio and studiocraft for example also made by bose. sony speakers back in the days too. philips speakers made of jamo drivers. etc.
Not quite. Interaudio and Studiocraft were Bose subsidiary brands in the 70s and 80s. Bose has never had any connection with Sony. Philips once made their own drivers, but now, like almost everyone, they source them from Asia, just as Jamo does. Jamo, BTW, is a Klipsch subsidiary. Bose still assembles most of its own drivers, those for the North American market in Mexico, but their driver parts also come from Asia. Very few speaker manufacturers still have their own driver factories, and few of those that do manufacture their own driver components. This explains why:
http://www.made-in-china.com/products-search/hot-china-products/Speaker_Parts.html

post #202 of 227 Old 01-21-2014, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
Quote:

Prove it.

Ok let me rephrase: Apple uses the same components as a decent PC. Bose does not use 6.5'' or 8'' drivers like high-end home theater systems. They use 2.5'' paper drivers. Their frequency response is measured at 280Hz-13.3Khz @ +/- 10.5dB. Bose's slogan is "better sound through research." The term "research" implies scientific research. Scientific research relies on both qualitative and quantitative data. There is your quantitative data that Bose refuses to publish. You want documentation? You might want to demand that Bose provides documentation when it suggests that it delivers "better sound."
post #203 of 227 Old 01-21-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:

You mean like this one?

The magnet dominates - its nearly as large in diameter as the cone and makes up almost half the size of the speaker driver.

The above shows a Bose speaker with a titanium diaphragm.

Trust me, I'm not a Bose fan and hope to never be one, but I feel that it is important to remain factual.

That's a car audio speaker. The ones I looked at were the tiny cubes.

GamerTag= Phaleronic
post #204 of 227 Old 01-21-2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 View Post

wait until you hear a real HT system.... eek.gif
What are you using for speakers? Maybe I'll consider it.

post #205 of 227 Old 01-21-2014, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 86
Quote:

What are you using for speakers? Maybe I'll consider it.

mine is nothing special in the big scheme of things, in the yester years i had much better.... this is what i have now...

http://www.htd.com/Products/level-two-speakers/Level-TWO-Tower-Speakers

http://www.htd.com/Products/level-two-speakers/Level-TWO-Bookshelf-Speakers

http://www.htd.com/Products/level-two-speakers/Level-TWO-Center-Channel-Speaker

and x2

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1200-12-120-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-629
post #206 of 227 Old 01-21-2014, 09:53 PM

Ok, thanks for posting the info. If and when I build a HT, I'll look at better options. I'm a musician and my hearing is not as good as most people's, a lot of what people rave about I wouldn't hear anyway. Thanks again.

post #207 of 227 Old 01-21-2014, 10:20 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Impossible given that their desktop and laptop computers are just IBM PC clones with BIOS modified to inhibit installing Windows.

Apple supports booting straight into Windows on Mac hardware through the included Boot Camp software. Boot Camp 5 supports 64-bit versions of Windows 7 and 8. See http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/
post #208 of 227 Old 01-21-2014, 10:50 PM

Liked: 12
I remembered that Erin did some Klippel tests on a Bose driver. The parts express link is easier to see for the general public while the DiY site has a more in-depth conversation.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/klippel-reviews-driver-specs/115621-bose-oem-10-subwoofer.html

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?227466-Klippel-Testing-Bose-OEM-10-quot-Subwoofer

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge - Stephen Hawking

Kyle Bosso - SOB

post #209 of 227 Old 01-22-2014, 03:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not quite. Interaudio and Studiocraft were Bose subsidiary brands in the 70s and 80s. Bose has never had any connection with Sony. Philips once made their own drivers, but now, like almost everyone, they source them from Asia, just as Jamo does. Jamo, BTW, is a Klipsch subsidiary. Bose still assembles most of its own drivers, those for the North American market in Mexico, but their driver parts also come from Asia. Very few speaker manufacturers still have their own driver factories, and few of those that do manufacture their own driver components. This explains why:
http://www.made-in-china.com/products-search/hot-china-products/Speaker_Parts.html

still have to disagree then.. sony badhoevedorp here in holland says the lower lines of speakers in the 80s all made of bose drivers. i think they know what the're selling. philips high end line was made by themselves first but sold the plant to jamo. nowadays everthing comes from china indeed.

Samsung UE-ES8000S TV

PS3

post #210 of 227 Old 01-22-2014, 03:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by User5910 View Post
Quote:
Impossible given that their desktop and laptop computers are just IBM PC clones with BIOS modified to inhibit installing Windows.
Apple supports booting straight into Windows on Mac hardware through the included Boot Camp software. Boot Camp 5 supports 64-bit versions of Windows 7 and 8. See http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

apple is made of cheap components like a-data and qualda, the only reason it can boot windows is coz they changed the UEFI1 (not even UEFI2 as the rest of "windows" pc) to be able to boot windows from a piece of apple bootloader which is in software and not bios. win8 on apple is not supporting the enhanced security mode given by UEFI2.0 spec. they made a deal with intel so it could actually support windows and apple and microsoft made special drivers for the cpu and hardware to be able to run windows on it. my i7 pro core laptop boots also into OSX mavericks and win8.1 in about 5secs, i still have to get a apple laptop that comes even near this boottime and it would cost twice as much for the cheapass components it has compared to my hp elitebook.

Samsung UE-ES8000S TV

PS3

Reply Speakers

Tags
Bose Cinemate Gs Series Ii Digital Home Theater Speaker System , Bic Venturi Subwoofer V1020
Gear in this thread - V1020 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page