post #211 of 227 Old 01-22-2014, 05:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevypower View Post

. Bose does not use 6.5'' or 8'' drivers like high-end home theater systems. They use 2.5'' paper drivers.

This photograph is labelled:

"Bose 10 inch woofers 501 Series III and IV"

The 2.5 inch drivers you mentioned are also Bose speakers, made for a different purpose.

Are you familiar with the concept of "The right tool for the job?"

Your post seems to be focused on only the few speakers of the many that Bose makes or has made that suit your apparent agenda of belittling Bose to the exclusion of all others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 227 Old 01-22-2014, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 71
At least Bose posts specs for their pro line. Some of their products aren't bad, and some are downright crap. Not unusual when compared to other manufacturers. he only big difference is that they charge a premium for their crap whereas most others don't.

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #213 of 227 Old 01-22-2014, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 677

like arnyk says it all comes down to the purpose for what u need the speakers for. bose made a lot of speakers and some pro versions considered best in the business one time, like the bassbins and these with the 2 holes in em for putting on a speakerpole and some are totally crap like the acoustimass which was mainly developed for listening to fm radio which doesn't need the higher freq spectrum.  as flyng_fool says overall there is only one common thing about them and that is that you pay a lot for the brandname. if they where really bad they would be out of business allready.

papashango61 likes this.

Klipsch RF-82-II 150W 33Hz-24KHz

Klipsch RC-64-II 200W 59Hz-24KHz

Klipsch RS-62-II 150W 50Hz-24KHz

Yamaha YST-SW800/1500 Subwoofers 1000W RMS 6 Ohm 18-170 hz

Yamaha RX-463 Amp 5x100W RMS

Monitor flatline 1.5mm pro wire

Samsung UE-ES8000S TV

PS3

post #214 of 227 Old 01-22-2014, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJoJo View Post

like arnyk says it all comes down to the purpose for what u need the speakers for. bose made a lot of speakers and some pro versions considered best in the business one time, like the bassbins and these with the 2 holes in em for putting on a speakerpole and some are totally crap like the acoustimass which was mainly developed for listening to fm radio which doesn't need the higher freq spectrum.  as flyng_fool says overall there is only one common thing about them and that is that you pay a lot for the brandname. if they where really bad they would be out of business allready.

I find it essentially impossible to take someone seriously that does not understand:

Grammar

Punctuation

Paragraphs

The importance of providing documentation

Spelling
post #215 of 227 Old 01-22-2014, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1352
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

At least Bose posts specs for their pro line.
Only because no sensible pro would consider them otherwise. But their pro lines are just as substandard as their consumer lines. Ask the LA Staples Center how Bose worked out for them. rolleyes.gif
Chevypower likes this.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #216 of 227 Old 01-22-2014, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner6 View Post
I find it essentially impossible to take someone seriously that does not understand:
Grammar
Punctuation
Paragraphs
The importance of providing documentation
Spelling

then don't... i'm native dutch so forgive me. you are not obligated to read it, so what's the drama ? look at my thumb up's and tell me who is taken more seriously here lol

Chevypower likes this.

Samsung UE-ES8000S TV

PS3

post #217 of 227 Old 01-22-2014, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

The 2.5 inch drivers you mentioned are also Bose speakers, made for a different purpose.
Are you familiar with the concept of "The right tool for the job?"
Oh really? So when Bose says "Our best home theater systems" (regarding the Lifestyle 525/535) http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/home_theater/home_theater_for_your_hdtv/lifestyle_v_class/index.jsp, I am meant to change my requirements in home theater use to make sure Bose comes out ahead? I can't just take them at their word that it is their best offering for home theater systems and compare that to other manufacturers best offerings?
Selling little cubes that get 280Hz-13.3Khz @ +/- 10.5dB for over $3,000 when you're supposed to be the best? I would expect that kind of performance for $200 from Monoprice, but even their cubes go up to 20Khz. But go on, keep defending Bose.
post #218 of 227 Old 01-22-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevypower View Post
Oh really? So when Bose says "Our best home theater systems" (regarding the Lifestyle 525/535) http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/home_theater/home_theater_for_your_hdtv/lifestyle_v_class/index.jsp, I am meant to change my requirements in home theater use to make sure Bose comes out ahead? I can't just take them at their word that it is their best offering for home theater systems and compare that to other manufacturers best offerings?
Selling little cubes that get 280Hz-13.3Khz @ +/- 10.5dB for over $3,000 when you're supposed to be the best? I would expect that kind of performance for $200 from Monoprice, but even their cubes go up to 20Khz. But go on, keep defending Bose.

well like u said.. it's their best. compared to others it is just not worth mentioning their speakers. you gotta acknowledge that they are ranked #1 when it comes to marketing skills lol :D

Samsung UE-ES8000S TV

PS3

post #219 of 227 Old 01-22-2014, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1352
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJoJo View Post

you gotta acknowledge that they are ranked #1 when it comes to marketing skills
So is Budweiser. mad.gif The difference is at least Bud doesn't cost for a bottle what good beer costs for a six pack. rolleyes.gif
lovinthehd likes this.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #220 of 227 Old 01-22-2014, 02:27 PM

Liked: 10

I too have the AM 15 for almost as long and they have held up well after all the moves and drops. I also have a Wave Radio and 201 book shelf's and all have held up well.  Wife likes them because they fit in the wall unit and almost hidden which was the purpose of the small speakers. I have added an Outlaw sub LFM about a year ago and made a huge difference in the base department. After calibrating and adding the sub they sound pretty good to me but always wanted to try something different. Ordered a pair of NHT Classic 2 on sale the other day and waiting for delivery. I think I will hook them up while wife is at work and watch her face when she sees the speakers sitting where family portraits once sat. It will be great! Will let you know if I keep the NHT and pass the Bose down after many years of service to the bro.

post #221 of 227 Old 01-22-2014, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Well, seeing as there is a huge gap between the top end of the sub and the low end of the cubes, I think you'll be quite pleased on the improvement.
Rsl2014 likes this.

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #222 of 227 Old 01-22-2014, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 86
Quote:

Well, seeing as there is a huge gap between the top end of the sub and the low end of the cubes, I think you'll be quite pleased on the improvement.

+1
Rsl2014 likes this.
post #223 of 227 Old 01-22-2014, 05:55 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I think so too. I kinda knew I was missing something when the 201's sounded better in some aspects especially when listening to music, however it is amazing what a good sub can do.

post #224 of 227 Old 01-22-2014, 07:05 PM

Liked: 14
nm
post #225 of 227 Old 01-23-2014, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View PostQuote:
So is Budweiser. mad.gif The difference is at least Bud doesn't cost for a bottle what good beer costs for a six pack. rolleyes.gif

German beer is the best !  but since i stopped drinking 10 years ago, i will spend as much money on it as on the bose :D

Samsung UE-ES8000S TV

PS3

post #226 of 227 Old 01-24-2014, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 121

Here's my Bose take...

I used to work at Best Buy, and we had the Acoustimass set up, ya know with the chair, and clear plastic bubble over your head set up, where you watched a Bose DVD basically on repeat. 

We would usually get one of the following customers interested in this set up.

1. Someone who has a friend who has this, and they heard it, and have to have it. These are younger folks

2. Someone who thinks that Bose hung the moon and stars, but doesn't own, and most often never has owned any Bose HT gear. These are usually older folks remembering their old 901 HiFi.

3. Kids playing in the "Bose spaceship" as we called it. These were the most popular group interested in the display. 

Basically, for the first group, I'd bring them to a Denon AVR (usually their cheapest AVR at the time, but quite serviceable) with a Boston Acoustics HTIB- all in one pack (Best Buy still sells this set up BTW), which was about 200-1000$ cheaper than the range of Bose Acoustimass products. It sounded better than all of them. This would blow their friends Bose set up clear out of the water. At first they'd be like, whoa, no man, really? But I'd explain that Denon/Marantz etc, are still doing great sound... Bose left the fold to do market driven craziness. Since I was an assistant manager I'd toss in a deeply discounted universal remote, and Monster Cable power supply to sweeten the deal- I'd even waive the restocking fee if they didn't like the Denon HTIB. To my knowlege I never had a SINGLE one of these come back to get the Acoustimass. I even bought one as a gift, which several years later he still owns and jams it out all the time.

The second group was more hardheaded. They still remember their 1970s Bose 901 HiFi set up. Times have changed... Sometimes they knew about Denon/Marantz and that'd help... But basically these were the folks that were hardest to convince. Sometimes it was easier just to let them buy the thing, instead of crushing their cherished feelings of Bose. I had this one older guy, lets just say he was jaded by a hard life, and was cynical to probably everyone. He bought the Denon HTIB at my suggestion. He actually called and thanked me for suggesting the Denon setup. 

The Bose Acoustimass also came back pretty regularly. You'd think that the streamline set up gave it good WAF factor, but the price tag didn't. The reasons varied, but buyers remorse seemed to be the winning excuse. The ones we did sell usually came in a got it without saying much- I guess every brand has a loyal following. 

post #227 of 227 Old 01-24-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:

At least Bose posts specs for their pro line. Some of their products aren't bad, and some are downright crap. Not unusual when compared to other manufacturers. he only big difference is that they charge a premium for their crap whereas most others don't.

The price performance of Bose equipment is often easy to effectively and accurately criticize. Their Acoustimass system with the big FR hole between the too-small upper range speakers and the so-called subwoofers is easy to effectively and accurately criticize.

One point to appreciate is the fact that you don't have to make facts up to effectively criticize Bose, so its a big laugh when people do use made-up facts and rumors that way.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Bose Cinemate Gs Series Ii Digital Home Theater Speaker System , Bic Venturi Subwoofer V1020
Gear in this thread - V1020 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page