I don't get the Bose hatred - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 249 Old 12-27-2014, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Radio Shack "Realistic" speakers for 20yrs ... Bose for another 15yrs ... Upon his return from O.U. on thanksgiving break (Nov. 2012), my son asked for some speakers as an upgrade to his built-in iMac speakers ... I researched the situation ... Thus began my audio adventure as I discovered that, in many people's opinions, Bose weren't the "be all, end all" 😳 I've since found that out for myself first hand : )

I'm still amazed at how quickly my Bose 701s, 301s (x2), and 161s (x2) sold on Craigslist ... Wow! ... It really helped with the WAF concerning the complete audio gear change out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	443930

MartinLogan Motion 40s / 30 / LX16s
Marantz SR5007 / UD5007
Emotiva XPA-3
SVS SB13ultra

exercise room: MartinLogan LX16s / Dynamo700
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 249 Old 12-27-2014, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTJersey View Post
but for someone looking to get a 2.1 system to keep the wife happy, who hates the look of Soundbars, etc., do audiophiles still attack this?
If you want to keep your wife happy, why not get in-walls? They're less noticeable then Jewel cubes and sound much better.

I'd totally rock Jewel Cubes if it weren't for in-walls but if WAF factor is of most importance, I can think of better options than separate speakers like these three below. Eliminate, wires completely while giving better sound than bose

TV Speaker Base w/sub and amp

Built in TV speakers

TV speaker attachments
http://www.necdisplay.com/accessorie...creen-speakers

Martin Logan SLIM on walls
http://www.martinlogan.com/motionSer...ultra-slim.php

Last edited by snyderkv; 12-27-2014 at 05:11 PM.
post #243 of 249 Old 12-27-2014, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by simp1yamazn View Post
I inherited a Bose wave radio for free so I put it in my bedroom. About a week later I sold it because it is physically painful for me to listen to. Not in the snobby sense that it hurts my sensibilities knowing how bad it sounded, but actually physically caused pain, my guess from seriously overemphasizing a mid-bass frequency to give the illusion of real bass.
Some guys in maintenance where I used to work brought in an Acoustic Wave radio ($1000 retail!!!!) and cranked it up....my ears hurt.
post #244 of 249 Old 12-27-2014, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by snyderkv View Post
If you want to keep your wife happy, why not get in-walls? They're less noticeable then Jewel cubes and sound much better.

I'd totally rock Jewel Cubes if it weren't for in-walls but if WAF factor is of most importance, I can think of better options than separate speakers like these three below. Eliminate, wires completely while giving better or equal sound than Jewel Cubes

TV Speaker Base w/sub and amp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP9EpENI9eg

Built in TV speakers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoPssCv9onk

TV speaker attachments
http://www.necdisplay.com/accessorie...creen-speakers

Martin Logan SLIM on walls
http://www.martinlogan.com/motionSer...ultra-slim.php
In-walls just aren't practical for the majority of consumers. Besides the fact that you have to cut holes in the wall and run wires, you still need to use a receiver which the vast majority of consumers are afraid of or just don't want to have/see. On walls have the same WAF issue.

The fact of the matter is that most people buy Bose because they sound better than TV speakers and people like the way they look. They see speakers they like the look of and when they hear them, they are better than what they have so they believe the advertisements that they are one of the best.
post #245 of 249 Old 12-27-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 300
I don't hate Bose. I've been through 3 generations of their Bose Acoustic Wave System. I still remember the tape player version in the late 80's. And the only way to get one was to have them come to your home and demo it.
post #246 of 249 Old 12-27-2014, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
In-walls just aren't practical for the majority of consumers. Besides the fact that you have to cut holes in the wall and run wires, you still need to use a receiver which the vast majority of consumers are afraid of or just don't want to have/see. On walls have the same WAF issue.

The fact of the matter is that most people buy Bose because they sound better than TV speakers and people like the way they look. They see speakers they like the look of and when they hear them, they are better than what they have so they believe the advertisements that they are one of the best.
I'm willing to bet that Sony TV in the link provided sounds just as good if not better and is more minimalist, no amp, speaker wires etc.

Last edited by snyderkv; 12-27-2014 at 05:32 PM.
post #247 of 249 Old 12-27-2014, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
I inherited a Bose wave radio for free so I put it in my bedroom. About a week later I sold it because it is physically painful for me to listen to. Not in the snobby sense that it hurts my sensibilities knowing how bad it sounded, but actually physically caused pain, my guess from seriously overemphasizing a mid-bass frequency to give the illusion of real bass.

At least you didn't spend too much on it (free)
And then, you made money on it

Ray
post #248 of 249 Old 12-28-2014, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTJersey View Post
OK So please don't attack me. I'm in no way an audio noob, just a noob to the forum.

So now that I'm looking for a home theater the Bose Cinemate GS II or whatever the full name is really attracted my attention. I've heard them in the store before and I love them, and regardless of haters I probably will purchase. They're going for something like $600 now. I get it's not a real subwoofer, more of a module as Bose admits, but between what I want and what my future wife doesn't want (bulkiness all over the room), this seems to fit where I'm at.

I'm just curious how this hatred to Bose started. "No highs, no lows, must be Bose". It seems that people who WANT to be audiophiles are the ones really feeling this quote. Do real audiophiles eventually admit that besides the price tag attached, Bose is actually a decent brand, or is it a hatred till the end?

I understand you can get floor speakers, 7.1, a sick receiver, etc. and will have an absolutely amazing sounding movie-theater like home theater, but for someone looking to get a 2.1 system to keep the wife happy, who hates the look of Soundbars, etc., do audiophiles still attack this?

Just curious to hear opinions.
Not going to read all 247 posts, but I was an enthusiast back in the day when Bose 901s and 501s were aspirational speakers to strive for.

No hate, just lessons learned the hard way: Having been away from "stereo" all these decades, we unwittingly bought a Lifestyle 12 system from the Bose boutique in the 90's.

It was certainly a much cleaner install than my systems from the 70's, it sounded great in the store, and looked fashionable. Like when you go in the Apple store and come out with an iPad despite so many better Android tabs available...

Later discovered it was a "closed society" in and of itself, wasn't Dolby capable, 5.1 capable, nothing even remotely like an inexpensive HTIAB system, and when the AM/FM/CD head-unit went out - the entire system is nearly unusable and proprietary for parts.

Now I have 5 dual-cube speakers and Acoustimass sub that can't be used with anything else unless I fix/repair the Bose head unit - which I guess I will as the system is so easy for the wife to use to listen to music during the day.
Had I known at the time that it was so incompatible and unexpandable with everything - I would NEVER have bought it.
post #249 of 249 Old 01-16-2015, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpcforever View Post
Bose makes computers now?

I would't know, I thought they were trying to sell sound systems, but they would suck equally as much if you were trying to use it as a computer, a car, or a space shuttle.
htpcforever likes this.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Bose Cinemate Gs Series Ii Digital Home Theater Speaker System , Bic Venturi Subwoofer V1020
Gear in this thread - V1020 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page