8' x 20' x 8' HT looking into separates instead of HTiB - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 07-18-2013, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As the title sates, I have a narrow, long room in the basement that I am currently setting up for a HT. It'll be used 50/50 for games/movies. Originally I was looking into HTiBs, but I've been persuaded that I will get much better performance per dollar picking up separates. Plus I need to make this a full-blown hobby because I just have WAAAAY too much free time (there should be a sarcasm font).

I have a very basic knowledge of audio equipment. I've installed a few car stereo systems but nothing in the house, so take it easy on the technical stuff. My budget to start out is $500, but I have a few more months to save up and I am willing to buy one piece at a time to start with. Ideally beginning with a good Sub and a center speaker and moving on from there would be fine. Total cost of the system should be under $1000 though, otherwise my wife will divorce me and take the HT out of spite.

I'm looking for recommendations on speakers, but recommendations for subwoofers and AVRs would be useful as well. I have no brand preference for any of these components. I'm totally at the mercy of you, the professionals, so be gentle!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-18-2013, 10:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 42
For the best bang for your buck subwoofer, I'd look at the Klipsch RW-12D. It is regularly on sale at NewEgg for around $300. For budget speakers, look at the Pioneer Andrew Jones line of speakers, or the Infinity Primus line. Don't go out and randomly buy a center channel speaker. The front 3 speakers should all be from the same mfg, and from the same line. The ideal being 3 identical front speakers, but this isn't usually attainable because of space constraints for the center speaker.
post #3 of 15 Old 07-19-2013, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 271
+1 Both good recommendations.

Instead of getting a sub and a center, I would start with a 2.1 setup. You can go listen to those Pioneers at Best Buy, and you have 15 days to try them at home as well. Pick up a pair of the FS52 towers (Best Buy will price match online vendors) and you can get that Klipsch sub on Newegg for $300 usually (wait for it to be on sale if not).

Later on, add the C22 center, and a pair of the BS22 bookshelves for your surrounds.

Is the AVR included in your $1000 budget?

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #4 of 15 Old 07-19-2013, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

I'll definitely be keeping my eye on Newegg for the Klipsch since you're the second person (and third) to say that's "the one" for budget builds.

As far as the speakers go, I don't know that tower speakers will work with my setup. My total wall size to projected screen size doesn't leave much room to either side of the screen for tower speakers, and I definitely do not want them in the way of the screen. Would it be possible to use the BS22s as front instead or would that significantly reduce the quality? I will have to physically measure the space between the screen and the wall to make sure, but I'm pretty sure there won't be enough space for the FS52s on either side of the screen.

The AVR ideally fits into the budget, but life is rarely ideal, and I'm hoping once my wife watches her first movie in our HT she won't mind me breaking the budget a bit to improve the experience. I'd be interested in what is "the best deal" for an AVR in the $250 price range and whether or not there is a significant difference between spending $250 or $500 and what that difference might be.

As far as requirements for the AVR, I don't have any aside from having at least 2 HDMI for my PC and PS3 (4 someday). Networking isn't required because I don't do much streaming and it wont be used for music plus it will have internet connectivity (of a sort) through the PC input.

Thanks again!
post #5 of 15 Old 07-19-2013, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

For a receiver, given your needs, this one is perfect: http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR1712/DENON-AVR-1712-7.1-A/V-Surround-Receiver/1.html

It has 7.1, plenty of power, all the connections you will need, and most importantly Audysset MultEQ XT room correction. Unless you need certain features like pre-outs, or more support for legacy devices and enhanced zone control, this receiver should work well for you.

Is there any chance you can move the screen to the 20' wall? A long narrow corridor like that is not the best for acoustics, and you would have a much easier time with placement the other way. You could use the BS22s for the front speakers, but putting them low on the floor below the screen is not ideal because you want the tweeters at ear-level.

Living Room

Computer
post #6 of 15 Old 07-19-2013, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

I can mount the BS22s at ear level in (or near) the corners, couldn't I? I'm just figuring that the towers would be thicker than the bookshelf speakers and might butt in on the screen. If I were to put the screen on the 20' it wouldn't leave much room for seating, plus placement of the projector would be more difficult and probably not ideal.
post #7 of 15 Old 07-19-2013, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

The towers are less than 2" wider than the bookshelves. Have you thought about an acoustically transparent screen? Then you could get three of the same speaker (3 52s or 3 22s) and have a more ideal front sound stage.

Living Room

Computer
post #8 of 15 Old 07-19-2013, 11:25 AM

Liked: 14
There's not much difference in thickness. The biggest difference is the height. You can look at them at best buy.
post #9 of 15 Old 07-19-2013, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

I'll have to go see them for myself and judge how they'll work in my space, but if it's only 2" I suppose that would be fine. I'm going with a Silver Fire screen painted directly to the wall.
post #10 of 15 Old 07-19-2013, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Looking at BestBuy.com pricing for the Pioneer Andrew Jones' and I'm wondering what other websites you guys know about that offer the same or less in terms of pricing. I'm not a huge fan of Best Buy, so if I can give my money to someone else you guys would recommend I'd rather go that route.

Looks like I have my shopping list completed...For the 5.1 (2 x BS-22, 2 x FS52, 1 x C22) speakers, the Klipsch Sub (currently $355 but I'll wait for a sale), and the Denon 1712 I can expect to spend about $1000 with shipping and tax! Nice job guys and thanks for pointing me in the right direction(s).

Hopefully in a month or so I'll be back on her telling you how kickarse the system is!
post #11 of 15 Old 07-19-2013, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Do you have a Fry's near you? They regularly have the Pioneer's on sale. $77 each for the fs-52's, and $77 a pair for the bs-22's.
post #12 of 15 Old 07-19-2013, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

I think the closest one is about an hour away, but I have a friend who lives there who could pick em up if they go on sale...Do you know if it's usually an online sale or in-store only? $77 a piece would be incredible.

I'm getting that feeling...the excitement is building and I'm ready to get going on this right now, this very moment...Why is it that every time I get that feeling it's followed closely by a giant gaping hole in my wallet and the echoing sound of my wife saying "You spend more time with your toys than you do with me".

Thanks for talking me into going separates! I'm sure the brutally, but tastefully, loud movies/games will totally drown out her nagging wink.gif
post #13 of 15 Old 07-19-2013, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

The Fry's sale is in-store, but I believe there's someone here in the forum that sweet talked Fry's online customer service to price match the in-store sale. Right now Fry's has the Infinity Primus on sale. The p363's floorstanders are $107 each, with the matching bookshelf's for between $80 and $120 a pair.
post #14 of 15 Old 07-31-2013, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Got a follow-up question for you guys. Got the Klipsch sub and the Denon 1912 ($20 upgrade why not) that were recommended. What do you guys recommend for speaker wire? Also, what about a Preout for the Sub? I've heard monoprice is the place to go, but they have a LOT of different options and I'd rather get the right one the first time around. For speaker wire I'm probably looking at 150-200' total and for the sub 15' should be plenty.

Thanks for the help!
post #15 of 15 Old 08-01-2013, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Just grab 100' of 14/16awg monoprice speaker wire. They make good cables, and its all very affordable, I use them for all my cabling needs.

Living Room

Computer
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page