Looking for on-wall speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 39 Old 07-19-2013, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I recently bought a new house and have been slowly setting up a theater in my downstairs den. My issue now is that I made the switch from my 56" TV in a large entertainment center to a projector. So I got rid of the entertainment center and now need to wall mount my speakers. Unfortunately due to the layout of the room, on-wall speakers are my only option other than in-wall speakers which I'm not ready to do yet. I currently have a pair of PSB Imagine B for my fronts and a PSB Imagine C for my center. These speakers are not able to be wall mounted and I was thinking about building shelves for them to sit on. However, that won't work since they would require fairly large shelves and they would get in the way especially considering the spacing they would need between the rear port on the speakers and the wall itself.

So due to these issues I'm looking to sell my PSB Imagine speakers and go with something that can be wall mounted. The speakers I switch to will need to be a little bit shorter than the Imagine B's and the center channel will need to be wall mounted as well. I really like the sound of my Imagines but they just aren't going to work in this room. I expect to get right around $1k for all 3 speakers. With this in mind does anyone have any recommendations for on-wall speakers that will primarily be used for TV, games, and movies? The height on the speakers needs to be less than 12" as well. I'll take any recommendations just to get me pointed in the right direction.

Thanks!

Current HT components:
Yamaha Aventage RX-A2000
BenQ W1070
Elite Screens VMAX2 106" electric 16:9 1.1 gain
PSB Imagine B fronts, PSB Imagine C center, Boston Acoustic surrounds
Logitech Harmony Ultimate
Custom HTPC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 07-21-2013, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
A pair of JBL L820, LC2 center.
post #3 of 39 Old 07-23-2013, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the recommendation. I did some reading on these and they seem to fit what I'm looking for quite well. Are there any other speakers someone might recommend that I could compare to these JBL speakers? I was looking possibly at Polk, Pioneer, and Infinity as well.

I'm having a hard time feeling comfortable parting with these PSB Imagines though. Do you think I'll notice much of a difference between the JBL L820's and my Imagine B's?

Current HT components:
Yamaha Aventage RX-A2000
BenQ W1070
Custom HTPC
post #4 of 39 Old 07-23-2013, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 383
You could always try the PSB Imagine W1. It is an on-wall speaker that can be used as an LCR, though I do not know what your budget is (if you were just trying to break even with your speaker sale).

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_760IMNW1/PSB-Imagine-W1.html?tp=191

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #5 of 39 Old 07-23-2013, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Since you mentioned Pioneer, they are rear ported so they don't go well on-wall. Infinity has 1 or 2 models front ported, so I would think those are ok.

Yamaha RX-V673 | HSU HC-1 MK2 | HSU HB-1 MK2 - LR | Pioneer SP-BS22-SLR | BIC RtR-V44-2 (Presence)
post #6 of 39 Old 07-23-2013, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakob_s View Post

Thanks for the recommendation. I did some reading on these and they seem to fit what I'm looking for quite well. Are there any other speakers someone might recommend that I could compare to these JBL speakers? I was looking possibly at Polk, Pioneer, and Infinity as well.

I'm having a hard time feeling comfortable parting with these PSB Imagines though. Do you think I'll notice much of a difference between the JBL L820's and my Imagine B's?

PSB speakers are Canadian, and all Harman brand speakers will have very similar voicing. So the JBLs will be what you are used to. The reason for this is Dr. Floyd Toole and Sean Olive. Both worked at CNR before moving over to Harman.
post #7 of 39 Old 07-23-2013, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

You could always try the PSB Imagine W1. It is an on-wall speaker that can be used as an LCR, though I do not know what your budget is (if you were just trying to break even with your speaker sale).

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_760IMNW1/PSB-Imagine-W1.html?tp=191

Yeah I was looking at these. This might be something I would be interested in doing in the future, but the price for three of them used as LCR would be a bit too much for me right now. I do appreciate the recommendation.

Current HT components:
Yamaha Aventage RX-A2000
BenQ W1070
Custom HTPC
post #8 of 39 Old 07-23-2013, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnewbie21 View Post

Since you mentioned Pioneer, they are rear ported so they don't go well on-wall. Infinity has 1 or 2 models front ported, so I would think those are ok.

Oh yeah that is a very good point, I didn't even notice that when I was looking at the Pioneer options. This is one of my big issues with moving to wall-mounted speakers with the PSB's. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll look a little closer at the Infinity options though.

Current HT components:
Yamaha Aventage RX-A2000
BenQ W1070
Custom HTPC
post #9 of 39 Old 07-23-2013, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post

PSB speakers are Canadian, and all Harman brand speakers will have very similar voicing. So the JBLs will be what you are used to. The reason for this is Dr. Floyd Toole and Sean Olive. Both worked at CNR before moving over to Harman.

Oh wow that is some great info!!! Thanks for pointing this out to me. I do really like the sound of my PSBs so these very well maybe my best option. Plus they are reasonably priced so I may not have to pay anything out of pocket for these once I sell the PSBs. Thanks so much for letting me know this. Now I just need to look at the dimensions of the JBLs and see if they'll fit. That's my only other concern. Due to how my room is laid out I may have to mount the LR speakers on the side walls. Hopefully these speakers are designed to be side mounted as well. ;-)

Current HT components:
Yamaha Aventage RX-A2000
BenQ W1070
Custom HTPC
post #10 of 39 Old 07-23-2013, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Looks like I'm in luck. The L820s can be corner mounted which will work great for my setup!

Current HT components:
Yamaha Aventage RX-A2000
BenQ W1070
Custom HTPC
post #11 of 39 Old 07-24-2013, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Looks like I'm in luck. The L820s can be corner mounted which will work great for my setup!

Do you mean corner mounted flush against the back wall? Just for curiosity, where did you get that information. Maybe somebody else with more knowledge can chime in, but having good space from the side wall (+1 ft )is reccomended to avoid side wall reflections.

Also, I don't know how they compared against the L820s but HTD Level 2 & 3 bookshelves front ported so they could be mounted on-wall, I'd assume. http://www.htd.com/Products/Cabinet-Speakers

Yamaha RX-V673 | HSU HC-1 MK2 | HSU HB-1 MK2 - LR | Pioneer SP-BS22-SLR | BIC RtR-V44-2 (Presence)
post #12 of 39 Old 07-24-2013, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnewbie21 View Post

Do you mean corner mounted flush against the back wall? Just for curiosity, where did you get that information. Maybe somebody else with more knowledge can chime in, but having good space from the side wall (+1 ft )is reccomended to avoid side wall reflections.

Also, I don't know how they compared against the L820s but HTD Level 2 & 3 bookshelves front ported so they could be mounted on-wall, I'd assume. http://www.htd.com/Products/Cabinet-Speakers

Oh sorry I had the manual pulled up and was going to paste it in my last message, but I got distracted. ;-)

Here it is.

"Models L810 and L820 may also be corner-mounted using the keyholes located on the bezeled corners. For corner mounting, fold the mounting template in half, place the fold in the corner at the desired height, and use the outer holes."

So it's actually in the corner so that the LR speakers are angled in toward the center of the room. This would be best for me because of how this room is currently setup. I bought this house less than a year ago and the basement is fully finished including speaker wire that was ran through the walls for the front and rear LR speakers. The problem is how the previous owner had his speakers laid out. The speaker wire comes out of the wall on what will be my side walls and what were once his front and rear walls. The room has an air duct and main support beam splitting it in half. So what I'm doing is mounting my drop down projections screen on the backside of the air duct/beam and will have the speakers on the front side of that same beam. This way when the screen retracts it will be mostly concealed and all you would see are the speakers. The problem is that the previous own used the same half of the basement for his media set up, but his TV was on a side wall where as my screen will drop down from the center of the room. So I won't really be able to mount the speakers on the beam spaced +1ft from the wall, without having to rerun wires and that would require cutting and patching dry wall, which I'm not going to be doing at this point in time. So corner mounted is perfect for my odd situation. ;-)

I will look into the HTD speakers a little more. But the first thing I noticed is that the Level 2 and 3 bookshelves are 10" and 11.5" deep, compared to the JBL L820s which are only 5" deep. So the JBLs would protrude a lot less from the wall. Definitely a good recommendation that I will look into though, they are very competitively priced. :-)

Current HT components:
Yamaha Aventage RX-A2000
BenQ W1070
Custom HTPC
post #13 of 39 Old 07-24-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Martin Logan makes some good wall mountable speakers - http://www.martinlogan.com/product-list.php

I'm using the Motion 8, Motion FX and Motion 15 speakers myself ( with a pair of Motion 40's, but those won't work for your needs ).

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #14 of 39 Old 07-24-2013, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

Martin Logan makes some good wall mountable speakers - http://www.martinlogan.com/product-list.php

I'm using the Motion 8, Motion FX and Motion 15 speakers myself ( with a pair of Motion 40's, but those won't work for your needs ).

Aren't the Motion speakers rear ported though? How do these sound mounted to a wall?

Current HT components:
Yamaha Aventage RX-A2000
BenQ W1070
Custom HTPC
post #15 of 39 Old 07-24-2013, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1365
Quote:

Aren't the Motion speakers rear ported though? How do these sound mounted to a wall?

Have you considered the PolkAudio RTiA line? The RTiA3 and CSiA6 could be a winner possibility depending on how tight your 12" rule is.

The A3 is 14 3/4 H where the RTiA1 is 12".

All speakers are both front and rear ported but the rear ports are "power ported" so you can mount the speakers right up against the wall and still make good on the port.

http://www.polkaudio.com/products/rtia1

http://www.polkaudio.com/products/rtia3

http://www.polkaudio.com/products/csia6

The center speaker doesn't employ key hole mounting like the book shelves but a shelf could be fastened easy enough.

Happy hunting.

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
post #16 of 39 Old 07-25-2013, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post

Have you considered the PolkAudio RTiA line? The RTiA3 and CSiA6 could be a winner possibility depending on how tight your 12" rule is.

The A3 is 14 3/4 H where the RTiA1 is 12".

All speakers are both front and rear ported but the rear ports are "power ported" so you can mount the speakers right up against the wall and still make good on the port.

http://www.polkaudio.com/products/rtia1

http://www.polkaudio.com/products/rtia3

http://www.polkaudio.com/products/csia6

The center speaker doesn't employ key hole mounting like the book shelves but a shelf could be fastened easy enough.

Happy hunting.

I did look at the RTiA line. My 12" rule isn't super important, more of a "nice to have". It's just so that the speakers don't hang down below the beam that they'll be mounted to. But there really are very few speakers that I'm finding that are smaller than 12" high. I think at this point depth is more important to me. As far as aesthetics go, which is my I was thinking less than 12" high, the depth of the speaker would look better if they were shallower. This is a reason I hesitate slightly on the RTiA line. They're all about 12" deep (the CSiA6 is 14") and will there for stick out from the wall quite a bit. Where as the LC820 and LC2 speakers are only 5" deep.

So if the sound quality between these and the Polks are both comparable, then the aesthetics come into play. In which case the JBLs win that battle. Plus it sounds like the JBLs will sound the most similar to the PSB Imagines that I'm selling. So as of right now I'm leaning toward the JBLs. However I could change my mind and anyone is welcome to persuade me towards another option like the Polks. :-)

Current HT components:
Yamaha Aventage RX-A2000
BenQ W1070
Custom HTPC
post #17 of 39 Old 07-25-2013, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 383
I would stick with the JBLs, they will look more appropriate wall mounted in your space, and as was mentioned earlier will probably sound similar to your PSBs. The Polk speakers may be a little more forward than you are used to.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #18 of 39 Old 07-25-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So if the sound quality between these and the Polks are both comparable, then the aesthetics come into play. In which case the JBLs win that battle. Plus it sounds like the JBLs will sound the most similar to the PSB Imagines that I'm selling. So as of right now I'm leaning toward the JBLs. However I could change my mind and anyone is welcome to persuade me towards another option like the Polks. :-)

IMO, the JBL Studio L series will run circles around anything Polk. I have never been much impressed with what Polk had to offer.
In their price range, and even slightly above, I have not experienced a better speaker than the L series.
post #19 of 39 Old 07-25-2013, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

IMO, the JBL Studio L series will run circles around anything Polk. I have never been much impressed with what Polk had to offer.
In their price range, and even slightly above, I have not experienced a better speaker than the L series.

Well that's quite the recommendation. It will take a lot to get me to lean away from the JBLs now. ;-)

Thanks so much for the info and recommendations. I always get the best advice on here and everyone is very helpful.

Current HT components:
Yamaha Aventage RX-A2000
BenQ W1070
Custom HTPC
post #20 of 39 Old 07-25-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Also look at the Definitive Technology line of on-wall speakers. http://www.definitivetech.com/products/on-wall-shelf-stand-speakers/
Have several good choices and are in your budget. If we can help you, give us a call.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #21 of 39 Old 07-25-2013, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Also look at the Definitive Technology line of on-wall speakers. http://www.definitivetech.com/products/on-wall-shelf-stand-speakers/
Have several good choices and are in your budget. If we can help you, give us a call.

The dimensions of the ProMonitor 1000 and 800 as well as the Mythos Gem XL are all right about the size I'm looking for. How do these compare to the JBL Studio L series? I do like the sound of my current PSBs, but my main focus is for something that will sound great for movies and TV, which is what we primarily watch.

Current HT components:
Yamaha Aventage RX-A2000
BenQ W1070
Custom HTPC
post #22 of 39 Old 07-25-2013, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well that's quite the recommendation. It will take a lot to get me to lean away from the JBLs now. ;-)

Thanks so much for the info and recommendations. I always get the best advice on here and everyone is very helpful.

I wish I had experience with the JBL's, it "sounds" like they're a really nice speaker.

If you could audition, or demo some RTiA's, you might persuade yourself into a Polk set up smile.gif

I went from Monitors to the RTiA series with the RTiA9's as mains. One thing I learned with the Polks, they can take power, and the more power you feed them, the more they come alive, or "open" up.

The RTiA's do produce some great depth and clarity, lots of detail.

It does sound like you've got a solid direction with the JBL's, let me know if you ever get an ear on the Polks, I'd be interested to hear your impressions.

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
post #23 of 39 Old 07-26-2013, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

My only concern with the RTiA series is that they are fairly large speakers. Primarily when looking at the depth of them which is about 12" on the 1's and the center channel is around 14". That's pretty significant and will only stick out further once a wall mounting bracket is added to the picture. I have a fiancé that I have to get approval from so a bulky speaker is my main reason for moving away from my PSB Imagines. I do appreciate the insight though and if I get a chance I will listen to them and see how they compare with the JBLs. If they're that much better then I may be able to be persuaded. ;-)

Current HT components:
Yamaha Aventage RX-A2000
BenQ W1070
Custom HTPC
post #24 of 39 Old 07-26-2013, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Ahhh yes, WAF (wife approved factor) always has the last say so smile.gif

post #25 of 39 Old 07-26-2013, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My only concern with the RTiA series is that they are fairly large speakers. Primarily when looking at the depth of them which is about 12" on the 1's and the center channel is around 14". That's pretty significant and will only stick out further once a wall mounting bracket is added to the picture. I have a fiancé that I have to get approval from so a bulky speaker is my main reason for moving away from my PSB Imagines. I do appreciate the insight though and if I get a chance I will listen to them and see how they compare with the JBLs. If they're that much better then I may be able to be persuaded. ;-)

If you go with the L820, LC2 you will not be disappointed. You could even go with 3 LC2 for LCRs.

Quote:

Ahhh yes, WAF (wife approved factor) always has the last say so smile.gif

The way to get around that is to not let it exist. Been there, done that. lol
post #26 of 39 Old 07-26-2013, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The way to get around that is to not let it exist. Been there, done that. lol

Not let it exist?? So I take it you live alone then.........

Sure, I get to have my set up however I see fit, I mean, anything goes, but If I did not have my cave, I would be subject to WAF by 100%. That's the only way I know to not let it exist biggrin.gif

post #27 of 39 Old 07-26-2013, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not let it exist?? So I take it you live alone then.........

Sure, I get to have my set up however I see fit, I mean, anything goes, but If I did not have my cave, I would be subject to WAF by 100%. That's the only way I know to not let it exist biggrin.gif

When I was married, 13 years, she had NO say about how it looked, what it was or how much it cost, when it came to MY audio.
post #28 of 39 Old 07-26-2013, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When I was married, 13 years, she had NO say about how it looked, what it was or how much it cost, when it came to MY audio.

Lol, yeah, I can dig it, but when it comes to her living room.......................I gotta nutha thing coming biggrin.gif

post #29 of 39 Old 07-27-2013, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Lol, yeah, I can dig it, but when it comes to her living room.......................I gotta nutha thing coming biggrin.gif

See, that is the difference, it was more my LR, than hers.
post #30 of 39 Old 07-28-2013, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

How well would the ESL speakers work as front LR speakers? It seems like they might be more suited/marketed for surrounds.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Jbl L820 Four Way Speaker , Jbl Lc2 4 Way High Performance 6 Inch Dual Wall Mountable Center Channel Loudspeaker Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page