Advice needed on Family Room HT setup - Pictures attached - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-19-2013, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We just moved into a new home. I use to have a 5.1 system with entry level Polk speakers in my last condo. I had three options to place the TV and we have decided to place it on the wall behind the TV shown in picture (40 inches wide). I don’t want to put it above fireplace and my wife is not happy with the left corner placement. Family room is big and opens to kitchen area and living room. I want to upgrade speakers and also evaluating moving all equipment (AVR, PS3, Roku etc) to the coat closet you can see on right side of the picture and wire the whole thing through my unfinished basement.

The confusion is mostly regarding speaker choice and placement. Here are my 4 options. What would you recommend or do if it was you in my shoes?

All options except 3b allow me to move rest of the equipment into closet.

Option 1 - Simple and straightforward but with compromise
Wall mounted Martin Logan vision sound bar + wireless dynamo sub

Option 2 - Some compromise - Slim center channel with 2 floor standings
Kef T301C + 2 x KEF Q900 ( Not sure how they will match)
Def Tech Mythos 9 + 2 x Mythos STS towers (I am not a big fan of speakers with powered subs, also this option is on the expensive side)
Any other good option on slim wall mountable center channel that can be matched to floor standings??

Option 3 - 2 floor standings L/R + a regular (deep) center channel.
Mount center channel on wall (3a) (May look awkward) vs place it in or on AV cabinet (3b)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-19-2013, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I honestly would go with the Motionvision soundbar and the dynamo 500 sub. Not only is it a great deal, but they sound incredible together and really fill the room with sound. I did a demo of the two together for a client the other day and he bought them on the spot. I don't think you'd be disappointed with that. smile.gif
post #3 of 7 Old 07-19-2013, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
For your situation, consider these

http://www.leonspeakers.com/

I have heard good things about them, but can't vouch for them personally.

post #4 of 7 Old 07-20-2013, 03:32 AM
D_M

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Nonstopdoc1,

Is there another room in the house where you can let your home theater flag fly? The location of the Tv looks odd. Placing speakers next to that Tv puts stuff in the walk way and doesn't allow you to create a wide sound stage. If the Tv has to stay in that room, I would move the set-up to where your sofa is. Moving the set-up enables you to use the back walls as well. One speaker can be placed on the wall behind the lamp and the other on the wall with the switches. The wife might not like this idea either, but look for speakers that match the color of the end table and coffe table. Showing her that you have thought about her decor, might open the budget a little more to get those wood grain high gloss finish speakers. You could always take something that's close and put your own finish on it.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-20-2013, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlupia92 View Post

I honestly would go with the Motionvision soundbar and the dynamo 500 sub. Not only is it a great deal, but they sound incredible together and really fill the room with sound. I did a demo of the two together for a client the other day and he bought them on the spot. I don't think you'd be disappointed with that. smile.gif

I did a demo at BB and liked vision soundbar among all others. I am just not sure if it will be enough for a large room like this. I guess I can buy it and give it a test drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_M View Post

Nonstopdoc1,

Is there another room in the house where you can let your home theater flag fly? The location of the Tv looks odd. Placing speakers next to that Tv puts stuff in the walk way and doesn't allow you to create a wide sound stage. If the Tv has to stay in that room, I would move the set-up to where your sofa is. Moving the set-up enables you to use the back walls as well. One speaker can be placed on the wall behind the lamp and the other on the wall with the switches. The wife might not like this idea either, but look for speakers that match the color of the end table and coffe table. Showing her that you have thought about her decor, might open the budget a little more to get those wood grain high gloss finish speakers. You could always take something that's close and put your own finish on it.

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking of placing L/R in the corners rather than in the walkway. One in the left corner where you see ikea floor lamp and another on right side of walkway where you see the power outlet. Center will obviously stay below the TV. Also, I do have a large bonus/utility room upstairs that I may use as HT eventually but I I want to setup the family room first.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-20-2013, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_M View Post

Nonstopdoc1,

Also just to clarify, the fourth picture with furniture is from seller listing with his furniture and rear speakers. Our couch is a black recliner.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-20-2013, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 348
What if you left the TV where it is and used something like this for your center? That's what I have and it works pretty good. It might open up your options on the type of speakers you can get.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page