Upgrading From Bose 01 Series To Infinity RS Series? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 07-19-2013, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Alright so seems I was asking the wrong question let's change this a little, yes.

What is your go to song to test a new speaker system to tell if you like the sound or not?

I was at a local shop today and they are not like a pawn shop but buy things and sell them kinda same deal I guess. at any rate they had (What looked like, I'm going to confirm makes tomorrow) a 5.0 set of Infinities.

I currently run a set of Bose 501 V from 1994. and two sets of Bose 201 IV again 94's. and two, 95 acoustimass 5 passive woofers. and a Klipsch CC.

This set I presume is the RS5's RS2's and a center speaker that looks a lot like the set itself. it might have a woofer but I was too busy chatting with the owner to really get that good of look at the set. they're asking 560USD for the full set I know the owner and he'll cut me a deal as always so I don't expect to pay more than 450 for the set if I buy them.

I was playing the new James Bond movie quantum of solace 08. and it cuts right into a very intense car chase, I noticed when changing pitches in car sound the bose were clipping a little and this bothers me. I also feel while I like the Bose quite a lot and when playing classical music on them they sound pretty nice and clear. I feel there is just something missing. I've tried 5 different amp's with the system all SPDIF and HD prologic. all the different settings and all that. tried them loud and quiet alike. and I do like them and have no plans of ridding of them any time soon. I just want something with more force for movies.

Something I've always noticed about Bose systems is they lack Mid's they believe that a woofer can cover the mid and bass channels and have the towers just cover bass and highs. and it may work for some people. but when a movie is playing in all 5.2 channels and the woofer is only being used for bass. the mids lack.

So I wonder if I might try upgrading to the Infinity system, or if that would be going from one big name little sound, system to another big name little sound, system.

And please for the love of all things holy. don't turn this into a Bose debate. I still like my Bose system and they will be moved to the Second room for music time. I just want something more booming for movies.

Summary: thinking of moving from a Bose system to an Infinity system. both seem to be competitive in looks and styles, the question is if it would be an upgrade or if it would be like going from one system to another system just alike the last one.

Thank you!

Ps. Please be advised I mean the new RS system not the vintage RS system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-19-2013, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Heck I've even plugged the 501's into my Bang 'n Olufsen Beomaster 5000 system with a Diamond tipped stylus. and put Chicago symphony orchestra on. and that sounds great. you can really hear each and every individual instrument.

But they're just not doing it for movies for me.
post #3 of 22 Old 07-20-2013, 12:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 76
So you are asking how this:

Will compare to this:

For movies (where you are having clipping problems)?

Assuming the ribbon is still OK, the Infinity should sound much better.

Personally though: I'd pick up a pair of Infinity Primus 360 to 363s and the best subwoofer I could manage on budget. I suspect you will get the best results for your dollar that way.

That said: I have a pair of RSiii's and they don't sound bad.
post #4 of 22 Old 07-20-2013, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Nooo wish that were the case. But I mean the new RS system not the vintage RS system. They remade the RS's into slim towers with chamber bass system.
post #5 of 22 Old 07-20-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 71
The RS5's will blow that POS Bose system out of the water.

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #6 of 22 Old 07-20-2013, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

Thank you for your input but I did ask for people not to bash Bose in this topic. Please respect that while in my topic thank you!
post #7 of 22 Old 07-20-2013, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zax1108 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

Thank you for your input but I did ask for people not to bash Bose in this topic

You are asking for something that is almost impossible to avoid.smile.gif

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos system for rooms/
post #8 of 22 Old 07-20-2013, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post

You are asking for something that is almost impossible to avoid.smile.gif[/quote

I'm asking for something that is in my topic that people should respect smile.gif it would be like going to someone's house and bashing there stuff. you're likely to be thrown out no? because it's online makes no difference.
post #9 of 22 Old 07-20-2013, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

There is not rules that will ban someone for talking bad about a product, your only option here is to block.

I don't think that flyng_fool said anything offensive.

But is okay, I will respect that.

Good luck.

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos system for rooms/
post #10 of 22 Old 07-20-2013, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post

There is not rules that will ban someone for talking bad about a product, your only option here is to block.

I don't think that flyng_fool said anything offensive.

But is okay, I will respect that.

Good luck.

And I'm not asking anyone to be banned. I'm just saying for people to please respect that I am the person who started this topic. I asked a simple question that requires a simple answer. not to start mixing bad feelings into the topic. again it'd be like going into someone's house and bashing their stuff. how do you think they would feel about it? also "POS Bose system" seems pretty direct as to how he aimed his comment and feelings about the system don't you think.

Like I said I'm not asking people to change their feelings about Bose or this or that. or saying I'm going to be all upset if they don't like Bose. I'm not asking them to like Bose. I'm saying that I wanted one type of answer in this topic. not a bunch of personal feelings. A direct product vs product answer. because I still very much like my Bose system I never said it was a bad system. I'm just saying I want something more for the movie room.

I'm not upset that people don't like Bose. or that they feel that the 01 system is a "POS Bose system" There is just a time and place for everything. and this topic is not the time nor the place for comments about Bose corp themselves and how people feel about them. that is all.
post #11 of 22 Old 07-20-2013, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

"losservatore" at least we can agree that LG makes a very impressive flat screen ^.^
post #12 of 22 Old 07-20-2013, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Okay now what its wrong ?

I apologized if I said anything wrong about bose or about your post ,I don't really see that on any of my post.

But hey thanks for checking my list of things, the list is there for the public, nothing wrong with that smile.gif

post #13 of 22 Old 07-20-2013, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zax1108 View Post

Nooo wish that were the case. But I mean the new RS system not the vintage RS system. They remade the RS's into slim towers with chamber bass system.
Then I think $450 is overpaying for five speakers and reassert my suggestion you consider a set of Primus 360-363's for less money.
post #14 of 22 Old 07-20-2013, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
There is actually an old Audioholics review that compares the RS5 against the Bose 701

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/floorstanding/speaker-face-off-i-battle-of-the-budget-towers
post #15 of 22 Old 07-21-2013, 01:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I apologize if I offended you but sometimes the simple truth hurts. Bose just flat out does not make good products. You would be well served by switching out. The review the previous poster put up a link to bears out my assertions. Although I do agree with him that you would be even better off with the Primus series.

post #16 of 22 Old 07-21-2013, 03:49 AM

Liked: 16
I had a pair of the smaller RS4's. I threw them out because no one wanted them, even for free. They are great sounding speakers for the money, but I wouldn't pay 450 for the set. I say if you can't get em for 200 tops, walk. If you like Infinity, you will most likely like Wharfedale's Diamond line. They offer higher sound and build quality for around the same cash. Look around ebay for the diamond 9 series if you're interested... They are newer than the Infinities and hold value.much better

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Main
Selah Prestigio Dual Epik Empires
Desk
GR Research N2x BIC F12 Ultrasone Pro 650 Velodyne vpulse
TV
Wharfedale 9.6
post #17 of 22 Old 07-21-2013, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey I apologize, I didn't know what POS mean till I decide to check ,English is not my first language ,but hey I never said anything wrong to you.

post #18 of 22 Old 07-21-2013, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Calm down everyone. no one offended me. I'm not george orwells 1984 everyone has a voice. and that's fine. when it comes down to it. if I like the bose and I like their sound. then that's that and there will be no changing my mind.

I however was just asking if we could keep out person thoughts on Bose out of THIS topic and keep it about the speakers as what they really are. I'm not offended in any way shape or forum. and I am thankful you guys offered an apology but really it's not needed so everyone be happy smile.gif
post #19 of 22 Old 07-21-2013, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

So yeah I guess what it really has to come down to (As it always does) I need to go to my friends shop and give them a listen eh.

And really hear if I like the highs mids and basses. Everyone can tell me for months what they think is a better system. seeing I'm the person paying out guess I have to have the final say :P

So lets bring new light to this topic and move on from all this nonsense about saying sorry and what not yeah smile.gif

What would be some good test songs to determine if the speakers are worth buying?

I'm more of a classical and smooth Jazz fan myself but I'll listen to anything aside from rap :/
post #20 of 22 Old 07-21-2013, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Listen to the music you are most familiar with. If the speakers you're listening to bring out more clarity and detail that you heard from your other speakers, then get them. If they sound worse or you don't like the way they make your music sound, then try some others.

post #21 of 22 Old 07-21-2013, 11:02 AM

Liked: 11
I like to use piano sonatas and classical and rock guitar (e.g. john williams, segovia, eric clapton).
post #22 of 22 Old 07-21-2013, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes go by the music that you listen most ,all speakers have different signature sound ,choose the speaker that best suit your favorite music.

Good luck.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page