Monitor Audio center speaker - upgrade? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 07-20-2013, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
TheRoey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Gang.

I have a pair of MA Silver RX8's paired with a much older Monitor audio 12i center.
I was going to upgrade to the RX center, BUT now I'm considering a major upgrade to the Gold GXC350 for center.

I'm taking into consideration how important that center channel is for movies/dialogue.
However I also understand the front 3 really need to match sonically.

Will a gold center be a tonal match for Silver RX8 L&R fronts?

Would appreciate some advice from you pros out there!
Thanks,
TheRoey
TheRoey is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 Old 07-20-2013, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
csgamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I would get the 2nd best option which is a vertical MA rx1 or rx2 as a center.

The best option is another rx8, but most can't place a full tower in center. Many are not willing to do the 2nd best option too. If you care about center channel dialogue, then that is my recommendation.
csgamer is offline  
post #3 of 20 Old 07-20-2013, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kiwi2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,629
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoey View Post

I was going to upgrade to the RX center, BUT now I'm considering a major upgrade to the Gold GXC350 for center.

That would be quite an overkill in my opinion. The GXC350 is one serious center speaker!
Quote:
I'm taking into consideration how important that center channel is for movies/dialogue.

So a lot of people keep saying. I'm not so convinced though. Partially because my system is also my music system and I tend to put a higher importance on my front L/R.

Quote:
However I also understand the front 3 really need to match sonically.

Yes, it generally pays to stay with the same model line for fronts and center.
Quote:
Will a gold center be a tonal match for Silver RX8 L&R fronts?

Having demoed the Silver line and the Golds I found the treble to sound quite different between the two. No doubt due to the GX's having a ribbon. I don't think they would make a close match.
kiwi2 is offline  
post #4 of 20 Old 07-20-2013, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
TheRoey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by csgamer View Post

I would get the 2nd best option which is a vertical MA rx1 or rx2 as a center.

The best option is another rx8, but most can't place a full tower in center. Many are not willing to do the 2nd best option too. If you care about center channel dialogue, then that is my recommendation.

An rx1 or 2 would make a better center than the RX Center?: http://www.monitoraudiousa.com/products/silver-rx/rx-centre/

I never considered a floor stander for a center, but sadly, I don't think I have the height for it..... neat idea though!
TheRoey is offline  
post #5 of 20 Old 07-20-2013, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
TheRoey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post

No doubt due to the GX's having a ribbon. I don't think they would make a close match.

Yes, that is my main concern... that the ribbon tweeter will sound very different from the Silver line.
TheRoey is offline  
post #6 of 20 Old 07-20-2013, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kiwi2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,629
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoey View Post

Yes, that is my main concern... that the ribbon tweeter will sound very different from the Silver line.

No doubt the GX would be a much better centre and if you ever had thoughts of upgrading your fronts to the GX line as well, then it would be the way to go.

Otherwise the RX centre would be plenty.
kiwi2 is offline  
post #7 of 20 Old 07-20-2013, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ
Posts: 2,214
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 289
I had a pair of RX8's matched with the RX center and it sounded great. I just recently sold the whole package to a fellow member and he loves the set up. I would stick with the RX center or ever better would be another RX8. The RX center was pricey, I think it was like $750? But well worth it.
Reefdvr27 is online now  
post #8 of 20 Old 07-20-2013, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
TheRoey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
THNX!
TheRoey is offline  
post #9 of 20 Old 07-20-2013, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
TheRoey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

I would stick with the RX center or ever better would be another RX8. The RX center was pricey, I think it was like $750? But well worth it.

I really hadn't considered another RX8 as a center, but I guess that makes sense. And I think that's only about $100 more than the RX center.....

Would be nice if I had the height for it!

I just started using RS1's for front heights. I'm still tinkering with the setup/location. It's proving to be subtly impressive when you A/B them on/off. But subtle can be good!
Wasn't really worried about the RS1's not matching. They're only one generation off, and I think they're less heavily relied upon than the fronts, and they do match the rest of the surrounds (my RSFX surrounds).
TheRoey is offline  
post #10 of 20 Old 07-20-2013, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
csgamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoey View Post

An rx1 or 2 would make a better center than the RX Center?: http://www.monitoraudiousa.com/products/silver-rx/rx-centre/

I never considered a floor stander for a center, but sadly, I don't think I have the height for it..... neat idea though!

Of course the rx1 or rx2 is better than the rx center. The rx center is a compromised horizontal center design. Granted it is better than the usual MTM design, but still way worse than a vertical aligned driver bookshelf.

Many people are happy with a horizontal compromised center and they will voice their opinion about it, especially since dedicated centers usually cost more and people want to justify their purchase. Either that or they can't hear the difference, or just don't care about dialogue quality as much. I absolutely need clear dialogue and the only way I found this was through a vertical bookshelf.

If you care about clear dialogue as much as I do, then don't compromise. If you care about the height of the center, then feel free to compromise. But make no mistake, it is an inferior choice. Also, I would recommend matching the tweeters, so skip the MA gold line.

Read the many articles on why horizontal centers suck: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=89614


Here is my setup. Cheap but outstanding center dialogue.

csgamer is offline  
post #11 of 20 Old 07-20-2013, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kiwi2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,629
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by csgamer View Post

If you care about clear dialogue as much as I do, then don't compromise. If you care about the height of the center, then feel free to compromise. But make no mistake, it is an inferior choice. Read the many articles on why horizontal centers suck: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=89614

LOL! When I started reading your post, I was thinking someone has been spending too much time reading Big Daddy's opinions over on blu-ray.com
kiwi2 is offline  
post #12 of 20 Old 07-20-2013, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
csgamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post

LOL! When I started reading your post, I was thinking someone has been spending too much time reading Big Daddy's opinions over on blu-ray.com

So then, you are saying horizontal centers are better? Yeah right. It's not about just reading and those are not just Big Daddy's opinions. Many of those articles listed in that thread are not written by Big Daddy. Also, I don't agree with everything Big Daddy likes. He touts bipoles as superior which I don't agree with, I prefer monopole. I do my best to pass the truth as how I see and hear it. Horizontal centers are inferior. You can choose not to care, but doesn't change that fact that they are a compromise.
csgamer is offline  
post #13 of 20 Old 07-20-2013, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kiwi2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,629
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by csgamer View Post

So then, you are saying horizontal centers are better? Yeah right. It's not about just reading and those are not just Big Daddy's opinions.

Lets see.. from blu-ray.com
"When a center channel speaker that uses MTM orientation is laid on its side, you will get good vertical dispersion and a very poor and narrow horizontal dispersion. Although both should be wide, horizontal dispersion perhaps is more significant than vertical dispersion. Off-axis horizontal response is the sound that the listener hears while moving around the speaker."


Now, is your center speaker more off-axis in the horizon or vertical plane from where you normally view from? How many people will be watching at once? How wide of a sweet spot are you after?
kiwi2 is offline  
post #14 of 20 Old 07-20-2013, 09:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
csgamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
OP, forget everything I recommended about center speakers.

According to kiwi2, horizontal center speakers are the bestest best decision you could make regarding dialogue clarity. A horizontal center is even better than a 3rd identical speaker as your mains. Yes, those that recommended a 3rd identical speaker as your mains were completely wrong. In fact, OP, place your MA rx8's horizontally too. Horizontal the best, the wider the better. They will sound fantastic like that.

/sarcasm
csgamer is offline  
post #15 of 20 Old 07-24-2013, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
TheRoey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Horizontal or vertical, we all agree a 3rd rx8 at center would be way superior to the only slightly less expensive RX center, right?
TheRoey is offline  
post #16 of 20 Old 07-24-2013, 11:52 AM
Member
 
newirishman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ireland
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
The rx centre is a brilliant speaker. Is a 3rd rx8 superior? Maybe but not convinced it is worth the hassle if space is going to be an issue. But I also don't necessarily agree with those slagging purpose built centre speakers.
Maybe you can try both and see what you like better.
newirishman is offline  
post #17 of 20 Old 07-24-2013, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kiwi2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,629
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoey View Post

we all agree a 3rd rx8 at center would be way superior to the only slightly less expensive RX center, right?

No. Not necessarily.

Are you using an LCD TV or a projector screen?

Would you really want your room looking like this...

kiwi2 is offline  
post #18 of 20 Old 07-24-2013, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ron Alcasid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm really happy with my RX centre. I'm not longing for clear dialog even at the ends of my sofa. It fits nicely in my small space.
Ron Alcasid is offline  
post #19 of 20 Old 07-24-2013, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
csgamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoey View Post

Horizontal or vertical, we all agree a 3rd rx8 at center would be way superior to the only slightly less expensive RX center, right?

Yes, a 3rd identical rx8 is the best center for audio quality for your setup. Those who don't agree are wrong. They are right that you are likely compromising on viewing height. So your view may be worse off and not worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newirishman View Post

The rx centre is a brilliant speaker. Is a 3rd rx8 superior? Maybe but not convinced it is worth the hassle if space is going to be an issue. But I also don't necessarily agree with those slagging purpose built centre speakers.
Maybe you can try both and see what you like better.

Maybe better??....Maybe. LOL, wut. No not maybe. Identical center is the best option for sound.

Not worth the hassle? Certainly is true for most. The majority of users on AVS have typical horizontal centers. Even I am not willing to have a floorstander in the center.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Alcasid View Post

I'm really happy with my RX centre. I'm not longing for clear dialog even at the ends of my sofa. It fits nicely in my small space.

Once again, people have different wants/needs. The OP could be perfectly satisfied with the RX centre. Actually, he most likely would be. But most think that these dedicated horizontal centers are the best and they are not. Most that ask for help here do not know this.

When people ask how to get the most clear dialogue, that is the truth. Not you specifaclly, but I don't understand why so many has to get so butthurt. I don't have an identical floorstander in my center, but I know it would be superior. I don't go around saying, no maybe it is better. It is better for sound. For video, probably not.
csgamer is offline  
post #20 of 20 Old 07-25-2013, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ron Alcasid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by csgamer View Post

Once again, people have different wants/needs. The OP could be perfectly satisfied with the RX centre. Actually, he most likely would be. But most think that these dedicated horizontal centers are the best and they are not. Most that ask for help here do not know this.

When people ask how to get the most clear dialogue, that is the truth. Not you specifaclly, but I don't understand why so many has to get so butthurt. I don't have an identical floorstander in my center, but I know it would be superior. I don't go around saying, no maybe it is better. It is better for sound. For video, probably not.

Well I can always turn the RX centre on it's side if I can free up enough space so it's not a total waste smile.gif. Honestly, the RX centre probably one of the better MTM I've owned and I think I can attribute that to two features. The first is that it's a 2 1/2 way so there's less interference between the two woofers in the midrange. Second, it's sealed and not ported so it has less "chesty" sound that can happen with ported speakers when they are mounted on/in a cabinet. Clearly Monitor Audio has put some thought into the design of the RX centre given the constraints of the environment it would used in so I don't think it should be dismissed from consideration. Yes identical speakers is the most ideal situation but most of us can't accommodate that, so we figure out which compromises we can live with.
Ron Alcasid is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off