Should I dust off my old Mirage Speakers???? Please Help?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-21-2013, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had to put a bunch of my old speakers in storage a few years back. Mirage om-10 floor speakers, Om-R2 rears, Om-c2 center, Substrata 1000 watt sub and 2 other mirage rear speakers. At the time I sold my Audio Receiver...so I will be in the market for a new one. I loved how it sounded back in the day, but not sure I want to Set up again with these. The place I live now only has room for 5.1 speaker placement. and still having some difficulties with where I might put center speaker and sub.

Bascially looking for advice with newer systems and speakers. I know there is so many small satellite speakers that seem to produce good results. Also dealing with all the dreaded speaker wires is something I don't look forward too. Since I need to buy receiver what do you guys think?

I have 400 disc cd player that I will be hooking up and I am also thinking of buying external storage drive that I could connect to for mp3, flac music.

Any insight would be appreciated since I have been out of the loop for many years.

Thanks

Todd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-21-2013, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 725
Why not? Cheaper than replacing them, especially if you enjoy their sound. Pick the best of the surrounds and go with it would be what I would do. May not help with footprint, though. There are some good bookshelf style speakers out there that with subwoofers will sound great, too. How much do you want to spend on an avr? Need any particular features? Speaker wires are still somewhat of a necessity as the wireless options are still not that great (except perhaps for subs and maybe surrounds but you are still going to have transmitters/receivers and to power them anyways so not truly wireless...).

post #3 of 4 Old 07-21-2013, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the response. I will probably use my speakers just trying to find best way for placement since I have unused fireplace and room in small corner for the TV. Receiver wise I don't need 7.2, but it seems like best value and I was seeing some that you are able to connect to Networked storage drives. Im thinking about cd ripping my collection of 800 discs. I had denon before which was good and onkyo before that which might have been better for music.

Thanks again!
post #4 of 4 Old 07-22-2013, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 46
You could start by just setting up the 2 OM-10s. If you get the placement right, you can try to live without a center (search on "phantom center"). Rear speakers and sub are optional.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page