Advice on building a Klipsch audio speaker system? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-21-2013, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey there, I'm looking at putting together a speaker system and here's what I'm looking at thus far :

(2) Klipsch RF-52II Towers
(1) Yamaha RX-V475
(1) Klipsch RW12D
Few other little bluetooth deals, banana plugs and subwoofer cable as well, etc.
...And then a few surrounds later potentially.

I have a few questions regarding this setup.

First being that I mainly enjoy listening to music and thats where the majority of this would be used but also for movies as well. So are the RF-52II's enough or are the RF-62II's worth it? I'm kind of on a budget but if they make that much of a difference, I would consider it. These speakers would go in a fairly small room, nothing to big.

Second, what about the Klipsch Icon (KF-26) speakers. I know they're cheaper but I don't want to sacrifice audio quality. Are the reference series worth the extra few bucks? And yes, I've listened to the Icon w/ KF-26 and 28.

Third, is the receiver I have picked out enough or to much to drive the RF-52II's or if I went with the 62II's, would I need a better receiver? Or Pre-Amp + Amp deal?

Fourth, finally, what would be a good speaker wire to drive these? Are particular recommendations?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-21-2013, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does it have to be Klipsch?

I rather like the Reference series speakers if you have the right room for them but not for primarily music.

Reference line is a fair bit better IMHO but judge based on your ears if you need to stick to one or the other.

The 62's would probably go down a bit lower. My personal preference with music is 2ch so i'd rather have a speaker that could go down a bit lower since I don't make use of subs when listening to music.

The reference speakers are very efficient. I say spend money on a higher end receiver only if it's missing functions not found on it's lower end sibling, or if you really do need more power (high listening volume, large room, etc)

Depends on the length but i'd get the lowest guage you're willing to spend $ on. Generally sticking with 16 or below is a good idea but given that the cost differential may only be a couple bucks, then it might be worth it to get the lowest. Check out monoprice.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-21-2013, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

N/A
post #4 of 9 Old 07-21-2013, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RastaManMax View Post

Does it have to be Klipsch?

I rather like the Reference series speakers if you have the right room for them but not for primarily music.

Reference line is a fair bit better IMHO but judge based on your ears if you need to stick to one or the other.

The 62's would probably go down a bit lower. My personal preference with music is 2ch so i'd rather have a speaker that could go down a bit lower since I don't make use of subs when listening to music.

The reference speakers are very efficient. I say spend money on a higher end receiver only if it's missing functions not found on it's lower end sibling, or if you really do need more power (high listening volume, large room, etc)

Depends on the length but i'd get the lowest guage you're willing to spend $ on. Generally sticking with 16 or below is a good idea but given that the cost differential may only be a couple bucks, then it might be worth it to get the lowest. Check out monoprice.

Okay, thanks!

Whats your recommendation then speaker wise?

And if I'm using primarily for music, would just floors and a stereo receiver such as the Harman Kardon HK 3490 be satisfactory? Or more over, whats your recommendation for a receiver that would suit me in your opinion?
post #5 of 9 Old 07-22-2013, 04:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 765
I would suggest going with an AVR because it gives you the flexbility of hooking up additional speakers if you ever wish to for surround mode. Also, AVRs have active bass management, making it easier to integrate a sub with your main speakers.

I would recommend looking at the Denon 1613. The previous year's version, the 1612, was measured to put out 118 watts into 2 channels into 8 ohms. Plenty of power for your setup smile.gif

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #6 of 9 Old 07-22-2013, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egersett View Post

Okay, thanks!

Whats your recommendation then speaker wise?

And if I'm using primarily for music, would just floors and a stereo receiver such as the Harman Kardon HK 3490 be satisfactory? Or more over, whats your recommendation for a receiver that would suit me in your opinion?

You should provide room dimensions, if it opens up into another area, layout (how far from the wall, how much space do you have for the speakers), budget and anything else that could help us provide suggestions. Also, where you're located could prove useful as well.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-26-2013, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Hey everybody, I made a decision. And of course I went over budget but eh, kind of how it goes...Haha. Spent three hours in the magnolia theater at the good'ol Best Buy and was looking at the Bowers and Wilkins 684b but compared them to their 683b as well as 685b and decided for my budget now that I went with the 685b and got a Pioneer SC-61 with stands and some nice cables as well as a decent surge protector. Gonna go pick up an AV tower this weekend. I plan on buying a Bowers and Wilkins sub next or else another pair of 685b's and then after that to buy a pair of 683b's for the floors in the near future when my budget allows it. Ha. Listened to the 683b's vs 84s and it made all the difference to my ears so I decided I would but the 685b's for now and wait until I have the cash for the floor speakers that I TRULY want. Thank you all for your help!
post #8 of 9 Old 07-26-2013, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Very nice, congrats!
post #9 of 9 Old 07-26-2013, 07:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 765
That's great that you found a setup you like smile.gif

Before you buy your sub, know that there is no need to match the sub in speaker brand to the rest of the setup. More importantly, subs from Internet direct subwoofer vendors HSU Research, SVS Audio, Rythmik, Outlaw Audio, and Power Sound Audio are typically much, much better values than what you can buy at Best Buy or any brick and mortar store, often equivalent or better to subs twice the price MSRP at retail stores. Check out those vendors, and then you might ask for recommendations in the AVS subwoofer forum before making a purchase. Let them know your budget, the size of your room (volume, not just area) and any connecting spaces, your primary needs (% HT, music, gaming), and any size restrictions.

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page