preferred qualities of 2-way / 3-way / vertical MTM bookshelf speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-22-2013, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
For those of you who have had experience with multiple bookshelf-type speakers, what qualities attracted you to 2-way speakers or 3 -way speakers or vertical MTM speakers? Or does the generic statement " It doesn't matter what type of speaker design it is as long as it is competent and achieves what I want in a speaker" apply?

Are there any specific qualities that a specific design above has over the rest?

I have no vested interest here........wanting to learn.............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-23-2013, 12:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by padgman1 View Post

... Are there any specific qualities that a specific design above has over the rest? ...

Of the speakers I've auditioned the single-driver, or single concentric driver, speakers all seem to have excellent imaging and dispersion. Of course a speaker with any driver configuration (2-way, 3-way, etc.) can also have good dispersion and imaging - some I've auditioned have. But curiously it seems more consistent with the single-driver/concentric-driver speakers.

This is purely from personal experience, I have no "tech" to back it up so it could just be luck of the draw wink.gif
padgman1 likes this.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-23-2013, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1230
Quote:
Originally Posted by padgman1 View Post

For those of you who have had experience with multiple bookshelf-type speakers, what qualities attracted you to 2-way speakers or 3 -way speakers or vertical MTM speakers? Or does the generic statement " It doesn't matter what type of speaker design it is as long as it is competent and achieves what I want in a speaker" apply?

Are there any specific qualities that a specific design above has over the rest?
3 ways in general offer better uniformity of dispersion than 2 ways. The angle of a driver's radiation pattern grows smaller as frequency increases, because the wavelengths grow progressively shorter in relation to the driver radiating area. To counter that effect you use a smaller driver as you go higher in frequency; that's why tweeters are smaller than midranges, which are smaller than woofers. The more driver sizes employed the more uniform the dispersion, at the expense of added complexity and cost.
MTMs have a tight vertical radiation pattern, putting more sound towards the listening area and less towards the floor and ceiling. An MTM using six inch drivers will have about the same radiation pattern in the vertical plane as a fifteen inch driver, due to the space taken up between them by the tweeter, but in the horizontal plane they have twice the angle of dispersion of a twelve inch driver. Using two midbasses rather than one also realizes a 6dB increase in sensitivity, which in a well engineered design can be used to compensate for the 6dB sensitivity loss caused by the baffle step.
padgman1 likes this.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-23-2013, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Thanks, sdg and Bill.............
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page