Should they stay or should they go? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-22-2013, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi folks. Please give me some direction. All my HT electronics are antiquated, therefore, I'll be getting a new TV and upper mid-level AVR in the next few months. I have 1995 vintage Paradigm Monitor 7s, 350 CC, and PS 1000 SW, and SpeakerCraft Aim3 surrounds. My usage is 80% HT, and 20% music. The room is about 20' X 18'. Are these speakers of appropriate quality for the proposed system or would an upgrade (maybe in the $2-3k/ pair range) make an obvious difference? I'm happy with my speakers, but haven't listened to a lot of others since purchase as a comparison. Money isn't burning a hole in my pocket, but I would consider spending the dough if it were justifiable. Thanks for the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2013, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys, very helpful. I knew I came to the right place. rolleyes.gif OK, pause sarcasm mode. Is it that folks aren't familiar with the Paradigm speakers I have, or was my question dumb? Replacing the electronics is obviously necessary for me, while replacing speakers would be totally elective. Seems like a legitimate question to me...
Old 07-23-2013, 03:21 PM
D_M

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Chicken,

You are happy with your speakers, so why mess with it? We are all in pursuit of happiness with our speakers. Get the AVR that has the latest features that you want and is also equipped with pre-outs. Adding a 5-channel amp or a 7-channel amp will breed new life into your system.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks D_M. I guess I was just wanting to assure myself that there hasn't been some "revolutionary" new speakers out on the market since my original purchase that would give me some quantum leap in sound quality. I'll stick with plan A. Thanks for the reassurance.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:50 PM
D_M

Liked: 17
Chicken,

There is always advancement, but if you are happy with what you got, then there is no sense in rocking the boat. Find an audio show room and go take a listen. Remember those rooms are optimized, so the same speakers will sound a little different in your home. You could always create a short list of speakers that blew you away and then purchase them on the used market.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 456
It's probably time to upgrade. Audio has advanced rather significantly in the last 18 years, so anything of a decent quality from current vintage would sound noticeably better than what you have now. At the very least time - almost 2 decades in this case - have worn out those speakers. They've served you well (I'm surprised the surrounds have lasted that long, to be honest).

Like shocks on a car, the degradation has been gradual and would be easy to miss. Replace those shock and all of the sudden you realize just how bad they had gotten. I suspect you would have the same type of epiphany with new speakers and a nice sub.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
Old 07-23-2013, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 76
Excuse me while I go take a quick listen to the 45-year-old set of speakers in the front room.

Hrm. You know, they sound better than some of the modern speakers do (and worse than others).

Speakers are not like cars. And though the tech has changed, it's changed only so much.

Honestly: only by going and listening will you determine if the sound of new speakers is subjectively worth the money.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLove View Post

Speakers are not like cars. And though the tech has changed, it's changed only so much.

I said they were like shocks, not cars. Regardless, the analogy is still valid; things wear out and need to be replaced. You may feel comfortable listening to 45 year old relics, but very few others will. Time is an unforgiving task master. 21st century audio is pretty amazing. You should try listening to something that's not about to disintegrate into a pile of dust.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
Old 07-23-2013, 11:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

I said they were like shocks, not cars. Regardless, the analogy is still valid; things wear out and need to be replaced. You may feel comfortable listening to 45 year old relics, but very few others will. Time is an unforgiving task master. 21st century audio is pretty amazing. You should try listening to something that's not about to disintegrate into a pile of dust.

Car shocks might not be the best analogy since a car shock is always taking the weight of a car. A speaker is more like an engine piston and wears through use. Although certainly they might possibly need reconing because of age. I had an old pair of Paradigm Phantom V1s that I sold to my 20 something year old next door neighbors. They have been beating away on them for the last year, and the Phantoms are still going strong smile.gif

I think the more likely thing is that after that many years, one may enjoy a new sound. As Jim pointed out, there have been some changes in speaker technology. Likely you might find something that you really enjoy.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Old 07-24-2013, 12:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 110
There's a very good chance his Paradigm's from 1995 were designed with measurements and software, same as current speakers. While driver technology has progressed nicely over the past 18 years, there hasnt been a quantum leap. There's also no way of knowing if paradigm cheaped out at some point due to financial considerations, and lessened the quality of their offerings (not saying it happened, just throwing that out there).

Listening to new speakers is a great idea though.