Are Technics speakers any good? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By kbeam418
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 07-23-2013, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
kbeam418's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 41.7080574, -83.5911255 N41° 42.4834', W083° 35.4675'
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I saw a pair of Technics speakers at a local used retailer that were being sold for 85$, they looked like they were in pristine condition. I'm considering buying these speakers but can't listen to them (I can return them if I don't like them) so my question is should I buy them?

"Then one day you find ten years have got behind you no one told when to run you missed the starting gun."
kbeam418 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 Old 07-23-2013, 02:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MrEastSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,434
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
A friend of mine has two large Technics that he bought probably 10-15 years ago. They're real nice speakers. Certainly not top of the line, but certainly not junk, in my opinion. Although, I don't know what model his were in comparison to the ones you're looking at, but his still look and sound very nice after all these years!

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
MrEastSide is online now  
post #3 of 21 Old 07-23-2013, 05:42 AM
Member
 
swallan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: w.terre haute indiana
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I had technics speakers around 15 yrs ago part of a htib system for what they were they really sounded pretty decent.
swallan is offline  
post #4 of 21 Old 07-23-2013, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 9,263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1188
Technics were Panasonic, pretty good speakers in their day. But as with all vintage speakers beware of woofer surround rot.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Bill Fitzmaurice is offline  
post #5 of 21 Old 07-23-2013, 08:37 AM
Senior Member
 
65 Electra Glide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I remember lusting after Panasonic Turbo Thrusters when I was a kid.
65 Electra Glide is offline  
post #6 of 21 Old 07-23-2013, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
kbeam418's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 41.7080574, -83.5911255 N41° 42.4834', W083° 35.4675'
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 Electra Glide View Post

I remember lusting after Panasonic Turbo Thrusters when I was a kid.
My friend has a pair of those they get pretty loud from what I remember.

"Then one day you find ten years have got behind you no one told when to run you missed the starting gun."
kbeam418 is online now  
post #7 of 21 Old 07-23-2013, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
kbeam418's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 41.7080574, -83.5911255 N41° 42.4834', W083° 35.4675'
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Technics were Panasonic, pretty good speakers in their day. But as with all vintage speakers beware of woofer surround rot.
That seems to be a problem with most vintage speakers.

"Then one day you find ten years have got behind you no one told when to run you missed the starting gun."
kbeam418 is online now  
post #8 of 21 Old 07-23-2013, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 9,263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeam418 View Post

That seems to be a problem with most vintage speakers.
The original formulation for the foam used in many surrounds would deteriorate after 15-20 years or so. When that was discovered, the hard way, the formulation was changed, so modern drivers last a lot longer, but there's still a lot of drivers out there that need re-foaming.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Bill Fitzmaurice is offline  
post #9 of 21 Old 07-23-2013, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
kbeam418's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 41.7080574, -83.5911255 N41° 42.4834', W083° 35.4675'
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

The original formulation for the foam used in many surrounds would deteriorate after 15-20 years or so. When that was discovered, the hard way, the formulation was changed, so modern drivers last a lot longer, but there's still a lot of drivers out there that need re-foaming.
I got lucky that when I bought my current speakers, which are from the early 70's, they were inspected before the person sold it. Not sure if any work had to be done on them or not.

"Then one day you find ten years have got behind you no one told when to run you missed the starting gun."
kbeam418 is online now  
post #10 of 21 Old 07-24-2013, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
kbeam418's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 41.7080574, -83.5911255 N41° 42.4834', W083° 35.4675'
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by boydzfv View Post

I remember lusting after Panasonic Turbo Thrusters when I was a kid.



I'm one of the few 16 year old's who appreciates good sound quality most teen agers just care how loud something gets regardless if the THD is horrible or the quality overall is bad. My friend thinks his cheap HTIB has great sound quality (the THD is 10% in stereo) lol. In 20 years every CD will have very little dynamic range because people are obsessed with loudness mad.gif

It's funny because people buy these "1000 watt " amps and my older Aiwa mini system is a lot louder and much clearer and it only puts out 120w ACD.
charmerci likes this.

"Then one day you find ten years have got behind you no one told when to run you missed the starting gun."
kbeam418 is online now  
post #11 of 21 Old 07-11-2014, 04:20 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeam418 View Post
I saw a pair of Technics speakers at a local used retailer that were being sold for 85$, they looked like they were in pristine condition. I'm considering buying these speakers but can't listen to them (I can return them if I don't like them) so my question is should I buy them?
I have a pair of Technics SB-2470 that are about years old, we have had them for 2 years and they are still in perfect condition. So I would say yes - do buy them but first check for foam rot!
Matthew Bowers is offline  
post #12 of 21 Old 07-11-2014, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
charmerci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 589
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeam418 View Post

I'm one of the few 16 year old's who appreciates good sound quality most teen agers just care how loud something gets regardless if the THD is horrible or the quality overall is bad. My friend thinks his cheap HTIB has great sound quality (the THD is 10% in stereo) lol. In 20 years every CD will have very little dynamic range because people are obsessed with loudness

It's funny because people buy these "1000 watt " amps and my older Aiwa mini system is a lot louder and much clearer and it only puts out 120w ACD.
That's great! Welcome to the club. So, don't bother with those Technics speakers. Save that money to get something better.
charmerci is online now  
post #13 of 21 Old 07-11-2014, 05:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 22,756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Your Aiwa probably doesn't put out 120W all channels driven either. What's the power consumption of that unit?

But it likely has plenty of power to get loud enough for your needs.

Afro GT
afrogt is offline  
post #14 of 21 Old 07-17-2014, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
kbeam418's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 41.7080574, -83.5911255 N41° 42.4834', W083° 35.4675'
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmerci View Post
That's great! Welcome to the club. So, don't bother with those Technics speakers. Save that money to get something better.
I got a pair of Kenwood speakers with new surrounds and 12 inch woofer and they sound pretty good, paired with my 70's Nikko receiver (the one in my profile picture).

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
Your Aiwa probably doesn't put out 120W all channels driven either. What's the power consumption of that unit?

But it likely has plenty of power to get loud enough for your needs.
I doubt it did, it only pulled 110. I now have a Nikko receiver that drives my Kenwood speakers, does a much better job and sounds much better.

"Then one day you find ten years have got behind you no one told when to run you missed the starting gun."
kbeam418 is online now  
post #15 of 21 Old 07-17-2014, 07:27 PM
Member
 
89grand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 21
There are only so many decent Technics speakers, like the Linear Phase period, and there aren't a lot of those around and they are the ONLY ones I'd even consider. I wouldn't take a typical set of Technics for free to be honest, like many other speakers of the same type back in the day. Light, thin cabinets with stamped woofer frames and tiny magnets, sealed back crappy mids and tweeters with just a few capacitors as a crossover.

Last edited by 89grand; 07-17-2014 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Said Phase Linear, and meant Linear Phase
89grand is online now  
post #16 of 21 Old 07-18-2014, 06:37 AM
Member
 
mark44001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I own a pair of SB-L51's. I bought them in 1983. I used them for about 2 years then stored them away for the last 30 yrs. I brought them out this Feb. to check them out.
They are in excellent condition for their age, no rot. I am currently using them as L,R on my 5.1 set up through Denon avr 591 with a Velodyne DLS 4500R sub and in ceiling surrounds. They sound like new and I have pushed them up to 85dbl with no distortion. I normally don't listen that loud as the Velodyne rattles the whole house.
They are Linear Phase speakers and they are great. Here are the specs:
cost year type woofer mid tweeter Hz/kHz
200.00 82-83 Bass Reflex 8.625in 2.5in cone Horn 51-25
92dbl SPl 1watt/1meter sensitivity. Dimensions 13x9x24, Weight 16 lbs. As you can see from specs. Very good speakers..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0930.jpg (98.2 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by mark44001; 07-18-2014 at 06:45 AM. Reason: specs not shown.
mark44001 is offline  
post #17 of 21 Old 07-18-2014, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ
Posts: 2,196
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 289
It is quite amazing how speakers have changed. The old 3 way designs are what I remember best. I remember back around 1999 or so when I got my first 5.1 system with AC3 decoding. I had a similar pair of speaker pictured above for my mains, but they were Optimus. I played Armageddon over and over again. Sounded great, it was my goto disc at the time. I hung it up for 10 years or so to raise kids and work on my career and man have things changed and changed for the better.
Reefdvr27 is offline  
post #18 of 21 Old 07-19-2014, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
kbeam418's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 41.7080574, -83.5911255 N41° 42.4834', W083° 35.4675'
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
It is quite amazing how speakers have changed. The old 3 way designs are what I remember best. I remember back around 1999 or so when I got my first 5.1 system with AC3 decoding. I had a similar pair of speaker pictured above for my mains, but they were Optimus. I played Armageddon over and over again. Sounded great, it was my goto disc at the time. I hung it up for 10 years or so to raise kids and work on my career and man have things changed and changed for the better.
Wait you mean my 5-way car speakers aren't the best!?

"Then one day you find ten years have got behind you no one told when to run you missed the starting gun."
kbeam418 is online now  
post #19 of 21 Old 07-19-2014, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jproy13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: East of West, Canada
Posts: 1,181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
[IMG][/IMG]

Just sold these for $50 last week. All original except for the 1/2 moon diffuser/absorber under the tweeter which I replaced . Not a terrible speaker.
jproy13 is offline  
post #20 of 21 Old 07-20-2014, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
kbeam418's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 41.7080574, -83.5911255 N41° 42.4834', W083° 35.4675'
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jproy13 View Post
[IMG][/IMG]

Just sold these for $50 last week. All original except for the 1/2 moon diffuser/absorber under the tweeter which I replaced . Not a terrible speaker.
Are those only two way?

"Then one day you find ten years have got behind you no one told when to run you missed the starting gun."
kbeam418 is online now  
post #21 of 21 Old Yesterday, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jproy13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: East of West, Canada
Posts: 1,181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeam418 View Post
Are those only two way?
Yes
jproy13 is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off