post #31 of 39 Old 07-28-2013, 08:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan View Post

Very good recommendations so far. If I were to rank the AJ Pioneer speakers, S30s, and Ascend CBM-170SEs it would be,

1. Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE
2. Cambridge S30
3. AJ Pioneer BS22

I agree with this ranking. I would also give the edge to the Cambridge S30s over the Pioneers (and the 170s) because of the higher sensitivity rating because the OP has "a pretty big room 15x15 with high ceilings." Should be a little better for filling the room with sound if the system is cranked up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 07-28-2013, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 229
The ascend are over his budget. But if he can stretch his budget you will not be disappointed with those speakers ,also im not sure if ascend is able to sell just one 170se speaker to use as a center.

My recommendation is base on your budget.

With that budget you have the options to choose the type of setup that you want with pioneer speakers.

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos system for rooms/
post #33 of 39 Old 07-28-2013, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
These are great recommendations. Thank you for the advice.
As mentioned, the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE are a bit out of my budget.

But the Hvl-1s will fit. I don't see many reviews on these speakers, but they appear to have a good lineage.

How would they rank on the list?

Finally, since I am completely new to this world, what's the best way to sample all these speakers!?

Ad should I just wait for deals on them or are they mostly locked into their already budget prices?

Thank you again.
post #34 of 39 Old 07-28-2013, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 295
I am selling 2 pair of Mordaunt Short Carnival 2's along with the Carninal 5 center channel. These are the sisters to the Cambridge S30's. 5 speakers for under your budget.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1472898/4-mordaunt-short-carnival-2s-and-carnival-5-center
post #35 of 39 Old 07-28-2013, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserGene View Post

These are great recommendations. Thank you for the advice.
As mentioned, the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE are a bit out of my budget.

But the Hvl-1s will fit. I don't see many reviews on these speakers, but they appear to have a good lineage.

How would they rank on the list?

Finally, since I am completely new to this world, what's the best way to sample all these speakers!?

Ad should I just wait for deals on them or are they mostly locked into their already budget prices?

Thank you again.

I have not heard the HVL-1 but as already mentioned they were designed by Dave F. from Ascend Acoustics. I believe there is a thread for Wave Crest Audio in this speaker forum. You might inquire in that thread.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #36 of 39 Old 07-28-2013, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserGene View Post

what's the best way to sample all these speakers!?

Thank you again.

If you don't want to be dealing with shipping return cost, the best way is to buy at your local home audio store.

Some online stores have a good return policy but its hard to found a online store that offer free shipping return.

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos system for rooms/
post #37 of 39 Old 07-28-2013, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Hello laserGene,

I wanted to write to you because I've got experience with a few of the speakers being recommended.

The S30's are my favorite in this entire thread. Although I have not heard the other mentions, I do have Infinity Primus P163's and the Tower/Center combo's as well. I will tell you that at least in a smaller room my strong preference is 2 Cambridge S30's over the entire Infinity set. They are crystal clear, they are so perfect for listening to anything from movies to music, they have great bass extension for a speaker so compact. They are also very much more detailed than any of my Primus components.

I believe I read that you do not want to lose bass but you would like maintain some during your Sci-Fi movies. I chose the SVS SB1000 it is quite a bit quieter than a ported sub but still brings accuracy and great extension without being offensive. It wasn't a budget conscious decision to purchase the SVS but I think most people agree that it is.
post #38 of 39 Old 07-28-2013, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Valtyr-

Thanks for the insight. I am now leaning towards the S30s. If you don't mind my asking, what are you using for a center and will the S30s be okay with no sub for the time being?

Thank you very much.
post #39 of 39 Old 07-28-2013, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I do not use a center in the bedroom where the S30's are located. The speakers are so clear I haven't needed to add another at this time.

Here is a picture of how the bedroom setup looks:

I have the PC153 (Infinity center) in the living room with the rest of the Primus speakers and it does just fine, but to be honest I can't say I notice it much.

To answer your other question, I firmly believe these small speakers have enough bass to stand alone without a sub in the right size room. The sub will add enjoyment and lower extension to the speakers when you're ready for it but is not a necessary expense now.

Edit:

Even more funny is I use the Denon 1713 to power that setup too. It is great!
Reply Speakers

Tags
Denon Avr 1713 Receiver , Cambridge Audio Bookshelf Speakers S30 , Cambridge Audio Sirocco S50 Center Channel Speaker Natural Oak , Energy Rc 10 2 Way Bookshelf Speaker Black Ash Veneer , Cambridge Audio S30 Speakers Dark Oak Pair

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page