Looking for a new center channel to go with Focal Chorus Towers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-26-2013, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi All,

I'm looking to upgrade my center. I currently have Focal Chorus 714V towers but my center channel is a Boston VRC that I have never been happy with. DO I need the matching Focal Center or are there some other good options? I found the Focal for $360 so my budget is around there. Receiver is a Denon 2112CI

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-26-2013, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Yes you need the matching center.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-26-2013, 05:34 PM

Liked: 10
You recommend a matching center for everything, why?
post #4 of 8 Old 07-26-2013, 05:34 PM

Everything meaning all brands
post #5 of 8 Old 07-26-2013, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandtoys View Post

You recommend a matching center for everything, why?

Yes. Do you want the sound to change completely as it moves from L - C - R and back again? The ideal setup is three identical speakers behind an acoustically transparent screen, just like a movie theater. Typical living arrangements require a compromised center, the least you can do is get one that tonally matches the LR speakers.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-26-2013, 06:48 PM

Well that is gonna hurt, Aperion VGT centers are not cheap!
post #7 of 8 Old 07-26-2013, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcramer View Post

Hi All,

I'm looking to upgrade my center. I currently have Focal Chorus 714V towers but my center channel is a Boston VRC that I have never been happy with. DO I need the matching Focal Center or are there some other good options? I found the Focal for $360 so my budget is around there. Receiver is a Denon 2112CI

Thanks!

No you don't need the focal center. There is nothing that is mandatory. Get what fits your wants/needs. You haven't explained what you are looking for only that you are unhappy with the boston vrc. What is missing with the boston?

If you really want superb clarity in dialogue, then I would recommend a vertical bookshelf in the same line. So either the focal chorus 706 or 705. An identical 3rd tower, while the best, is most likely too much of a height compromise unless you are using an AT screen. Horizontal centers were designed because of the needs of the consumer to fit height constraints. However, most here on AVS are satisfied with horizontal centers. But if you want a better center, in terms of audio performance, then I would recommend one of the focal bookshelf.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-13-2013, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by csgamer View Post

No you don't need the focal center. There is nothing that is mandatory. Get what fits your wants/needs. You haven't explained what you are looking for only that you are unhappy with the boston vrc. What is missing with the boston?

If you really want superb clarity in dialogue, then I would recommend a vertical bookshelf in the same line. So either the focal chorus 706 or 705. An identical 3rd tower, while the best, is most likely too much of a height compromise unless you are using an AT screen. Horizontal centers were designed because of the needs of the consumer to fit height constraints. However, most here on AVS are satisfied with horizontal centers. But if you want a better center, in terms of audio performance, then I would recommend one of the focal bookshelf.

I had not considered a bookshelf, that's not a bad idea at all. My issue with the VRC is that it sounds a bit soft/muddy compared to the Focal towers. I hope I'm describing it well; I'm not an audiophile in the technical sense but I have pretty good ears. The Towers sound amazing with music but when I add in the VRC for movies or sports it blunts the sound a bit.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Focal Chorus 836 V

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page