Considering home theater for my living room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 Old 07-28-2013, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
greenwayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,
I have a room that is 14'x16' but the ceiling goes from 11 feet to 16 feet so it's pretty tall. I was considering the energy take classic 5.1 system, for my room what do you guys think? The speakers will be wall mounted around 11 feet up on all four corners of the room. Two of my friends have a bose accoustimas 10, and they think its pretty good, but I think bose is just overpriced, and at the best just adequate. I would really appreciate any suggestions. I have a budget of about 800 dollars with a receiver

Thanks,
Greenwayer
greenwayer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 41 Old 07-28-2013, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ifor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: La Quinta, CA
Posts: 2,425
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Should work fine as long as you aren't expecting to get reference volume out of the system. Make sure you point all the speakers down towards listening area. If you can bring the fronts down to ear height, or so, that would be better.
ifor is offline  
post #3 of 41 Old 07-29-2013, 02:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bladerunner6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwayer View Post

Hey guys,
I have a room that is 14'x16' but the ceiling goes from 11 feet to 16 feet so it's pretty tall. I was considering the energy take classic 5.1 system, for my room what do you guys think? The speakers will be wall mounted around 11 feet up on all four corners of the room. Two of my friends have a bose accoustimas 10, and they think its pretty good, but I think bose is just overpriced, and at the best just adequate. I would really appreciate any suggestions. I have a budget of about 800 dollars with a receiver

Thanks,
Greenwayer

Is the Energy Take the upper limit of your budget or can you go higher?
bladerunner6 is offline  
post #4 of 41 Old 07-29-2013, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,746
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Are you set on small satellite speakers? There are some better options out there if you aren't restricted to wall-mounting.

For example:

4 Pioneer BS22 bookshelves, C22 center
2 Dayton Sub-1200 subs
Denon AVR-1613

Dual subs would help even out bass response and since you have a high volume room, you would benefit from the increased output. Those Pioneers are some of the best budget speakers available and offer incredible value. The Denon has plenty of power and features, and Audyssey MultEQ to calibrate your speakers and sub. This is just an example of a system you could do, it will likely sound better than the Take Classic system in your space, and will definitely make your friends think about ditching Bose biggrin.gif

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
Transmaniacon is online now  
post #5 of 41 Old 07-29-2013, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
greenwayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner6 View Post

Is the Energy Take the upper limit of your budget or can you go higher?
No I can go higher, but I don't want very large floorstanding speakers either or very large book shelf speakers, since they will be wall mounted. I like the size of the energy takes so something around there.
greenwayer is offline  
post #6 of 41 Old 07-29-2013, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
greenwayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

Are you set on small satellite speakers? There are some better options out there if you aren't restricted to wall-mounting.

For example:

4 Pioneer BS22 bookshelves, C22 center
2 Dayton Sub-1200 subs
Denon AVR-1613

Dual subs would help even out bass response and since you have a high volume room, you would benefit from the increased output. Those Pioneers are some of the best budget speakers available and offer incredible value. The Denon has plenty of power and features, and Audyssey MultEQ to calibrate your speakers and sub. This is just an example of a system you could do, it will likely sound better than the Take Classic system in your space, and will definitely make your friends think about ditching Bose biggrin.gif
The only thing is those speakers are pretty big, i was looking for something around the size of the energy takes, maybe slightly bigger. But those are pretty big to wall mount.
greenwayer is offline  
post #7 of 41 Old 07-29-2013, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,746
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 284
http://www.nhthifi.com/Bookshelf-speaker-SuperZero-2-0

Grab 5 of these, they are smaller sealed speakers, and would be an improvement over the Takes. They are designed to be wall mounted from what I have read seem to be very popular. And as a matter of fact I have a pair arriving today to use for my computer biggrin.gif

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
Transmaniacon is online now  
post #8 of 41 Old 07-29-2013, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Kini62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 2,819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 305
I use five of the super zeros in a 13x14x9 room and they work great. Wonderful voicing, very good imaging and a pretty decent sound stage. And they can get really loud despite their low sensitivity rating and small size.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
Kini62 is offline  
post #9 of 41 Old 07-29-2013, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
greenwayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
They look pretty good, and even smaller than the energies. You think these will sound good in my room? Let me know what you think when you get yours.
greenwayer is offline  
post #10 of 41 Old 07-29-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
losservatore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,948
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Energy take classic are good speakers for small rooms and bed rooms just like bose ,but they don't fill well ,the cone is not big enough to give that full effect that bigger drivers can do in rooms. Everything will sound tiny ,if you can deal with that then buy the speakers, my recommendation go with a larger cone and enclosure ,you will notice how well they fill your room.

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos system for rooms/
losservatore is offline  
post #11 of 41 Old 07-29-2013, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
greenwayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post

Energy take classic are good speakers for small rooms and bed rooms just like bose ,but they don't fill well ,the cone is not big enough to give that full effect that bigger drivers can do in rooms. Everything will sound tiny ,if you can deal with that then buy the speakers, my recommendation go with a larger cone and enclosure ,you will notice how well they fill your room.

So what kind of speakers do you recommend? I was looking at the SP-PK22BS will these be better? How about the energy cb-5's?
greenwayer is offline  
post #12 of 41 Old 07-29-2013, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 13,878
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 1059
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwayer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

Are you set on small satellite speakers? There are some better options out there if you aren't restricted to wall-mounting.

For example:

4 Pioneer BS22 bookshelves, C22 center
2 Dayton Sub-1200 subs
Denon AVR-1613

Dual subs would help even out bass response and since you have a high volume room, you would benefit from the increased output. Those Pioneers are some of the best budget speakers available and offer incredible value. The Denon has plenty of power and features, and Audyssey MultEQ to calibrate your speakers and sub. This is just an example of a system you could do, it will likely sound better than the Take Classic system in your space, and will definitely make your friends think about ditching Bose biggrin.gif
The only thing is those speakers are pretty big, i was looking for something around the size of the energy takes, maybe slightly bigger. But those are pretty big to wall mount.

I've hung Primus 163s and they are arguably even larger.

I like the BS22 recommendation better than the Superszeros, and I even own a pair of SZs and like them! The Pioneers have better power handling, better bass extension (SZs are only good down to about 120 Hz, while the BS22s will do 80 Hz), and surprisingly, smoother.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/pioneer-sp-bs22-lr-loudspeaker-measurements

versus

http://www.stereophile.com/content/nht-superzero-loudspeaker-sw2-subwoofer-measurements

This is a modern high volume speaker from one good designer versus a legacy specialist speaker from another good designer. The SZ was great for the money and size in its day, but time marches on.
arnyk is online now  
post #13 of 41 Old 07-29-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,746
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 284
So I got them and hooked them up in the living room until my TP23 arrives. I must say these are impressive little speakers. They are very solid, the finish is fantastic, and the knock test reveals a sturdy cabinet.

I just listened to them in direct mode and they sound wonderful. They are a little more forward than my EMPs, but nothing I would consider bright. The thing I immediately notice is the detail, they are very accurate. I have my studio monitors as a reference and these don't skip a beat. You definitely need a sub with these, but even in 2.0 they are very pleasant to listen to. I had no problems turning them up in my living room which is 16x13, and I sit 10' away. I look forward to trying them out in near field but I am very pleased with them so far. This is just my initial impression after 30 minutes.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
Transmaniacon is online now  
post #14 of 41 Old 07-29-2013, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
greenwayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

I've hung Primus 163s and they are arguably even larger.

I like the BS22 recommendation better than the Superszeros, and I even own a pair of SZs and like them! The Pioneers have better power handling, better bass extension (SZs are only good down to about 120 Hz, while the BS22s will do 80 Hz), and surprisingly, smoother.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/pioneer-sp-bs22-lr-loudspeaker-measurements

versus

http://www.stereophile.com/content/nht-superzero-loudspeaker-sw2-subwoofer-measurements

This is a modern high volume speaker from one good designer versus a legacy specialist speaker from another good designer. The SZ was great for the money and size in its day, but time marches on.

Yeah the sp-pk22bs set comes with 4 bs 22s, a c22, and a SW-8MK2 sub. So I really have to think about the size difference. If the pioneer's are too big I think the energy take classics are the best option.
greenwayer is offline  
post #15 of 41 Old 07-29-2013, 03:01 PM
Senior Member
 
65 Electra Glide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

This is a modern high volume speaker from one good designer versus a legacy specialist speaker from another good designer. The SZ was great for the money and size in its day, but time marches on.

Were you aware that they are still available new in their current "2.1" version?

http://www.nhthifi.com/Bookshelf-speaker-SuperZero-2-1?sc=12&category=5060
65 Electra Glide is offline  
post #16 of 41 Old 07-29-2013, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kini62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 2,819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 305
M
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

I've hung Primus 163s and they are arguably even larger.

I like the BS22 recommendation better than the Superszeros, and I even own a pair of SZs and like them! The Pioneers have better power handling, better bass extension (SZs are only good down to about 120 Hz, while the BS22s will do 80 Hz), and surprisingly, smoother.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/pioneer-sp-bs22-lr-loudspeaker-measurements

versus

http://www.stereophile.com/content/nht-superzero-loudspeaker-sw2-subwoofer-measurements

This is a modern high volume speaker from one good designer versus a legacy specialist speaker from another good designer. The SZ was great for the money and size in its day, but time marches on.
Mine are crossed over at 100hz. My AVR actually set a couple of them at 80hz. They have more bass in room than the measurements indicate.

If the OP is looking for something smallish that has easy placement (which the pioneers are not) the SZ are a great choice.
Transmaniacon likes this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
Kini62 is offline  
post #17 of 41 Old 07-30-2013, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
losservatore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,948
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 228
There is energy take 5.2 on ebay Im not 100% sure but I think this are made in Canada, the made in Canada hold more their value.

Here is the take 5.2
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Energy-Take-5-2-Surround-Sound-Speaker-System-/141024928046?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item20d5bda12e#viTabs_0



Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos system for rooms/
losservatore is offline  
post #18 of 41 Old 07-30-2013, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
greenwayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there a sz 5.1 system in a box like the energy take classic?
greenwayer is offline  
post #19 of 41 Old 07-30-2013, 01:23 PM
Senior Member
 
65 Electra Glide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwayer View Post

Is there a sz 5.1 system in a box like the energy take classic?

http://www.nhthifi.com/bookshelf-speakers-subwoofer-Super-Surround-5-1?sc=12&category=3830
65 Electra Glide is offline  
post #20 of 41 Old 07-30-2013, 03:02 PM
Newbie
 
sunnybono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: GTA
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

Are you set on small satellite speakers? There are some better options out there if you aren't restricted to wall-mounting.

For example:

4 Pioneer BS22 bookshelves, C22 center
2 Dayton Sub-1200 subs
Denon AVR-1613

Dual subs would help even out bass response and since you have a high volume room, you would benefit from the increased output. Those Pioneers are some of the best budget speakers available and offer incredible value. The Denon has plenty of power and features, and Audyssey MultEQ to calibrate your speakers and sub. This is just an example of a system you could do, it will likely sound better than the Take Classic system in your space, and will definitely make your friends think about ditching Bose biggrin.gif

I have a similar set up in my Family room (16x14x10' ceilings)

4 Pioneer BS22 Bookshelves,
1 Pioneer C22 Centre Channel
1 Pioneer 8" Sub (can't remember model)
1 Denon AVR-2112CI

All of this only cost me $650 USD

SK
sunnybono is offline  
post #21 of 41 Old 07-30-2013, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
greenwayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How did you mount yours and does it sound good, in comparison to any other sound systems you have owned(if applicable)? Where did you get the denon so cheap?
greenwayer is offline  
post #22 of 41 Old 07-30-2013, 05:14 PM
Newbie
 
sunnybono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: GTA
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwayer View Post

How did you mount yours and does it sound good, in comparison to any other sound systems you have owned(if applicable)? Where did you get the denon so cheap?

Although they cost me a fortune (I think so), I purchased 4 Sanus Bookshelf speaker stands that match my hardwood floor. They fit the speaker perfectly and were very steardy for these heavy speakers.
sunnybono is offline  
post #23 of 41 Old 07-30-2013, 06:34 PM
Senior Member
 
hdnewbie21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Loud City
Posts: 270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwayer View Post

How did you mount yours and does it sound good, in comparison to any other sound systems you have owned(if applicable)? Where did you get the denon so cheap?

The pioneer are very good speakers, I dare to say unrivalled at their retail price. However, if you are not considering mounting them on a stand, you may not get the best of them. They are back ported and do need about 6 - 12in or more breathing space from the back wall.

Another option I see suggested a lot, are these Level 2 ( http://www.htd.com/Products/level-two-speakers ) or their bigger brother , Level 3. They are front ported so I think they would be ok to have them wall mounted. They are a bigger than the Energy, but it shouldn't be bad, specially if you were considering the Pioneers.

Yamaha RX-V673 | HSU HC-1 MK2 | HSU HB-1 MK2 - LR | Pioneer SP-BS22-SLR | BIC RtR-V44-2 (Presence)
hdnewbie21 is offline  
post #24 of 41 Old 07-30-2013, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
greenwayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnewbie21 View Post

The pioneer are very good speakers, I dare to say unrivalled at their retail price. However, if you are not considering mounting them on a stand, you may not get the best of them. They are back ported and do need about 6 - 12in or more breathing space from the back wall.

Another option I see suggested a lot, are these Level 2 ( http://www.htd.com/Products/level-two-speakers ) or their bigger brother , Level 3. They are front ported so I think they would be ok to have them wall mounted. They are a bigger than the Energy, but it shouldn't be bad, specially if you were considering the Pioneers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnewbie21 View Post

The pioneer are very good speakers, I dare to say unrivalled at their retail price. However, if you are not considering mounting them on a stand, you may not get the best of them. They are back ported and do need about 6 - 12in or more breathing space from the back wall.

Another option I see suggested a lot, are these Level 2 ( http://www.htd.com/Products/level-two-speakers ) or their bigger brother , Level 3. They are front ported so I think they would be ok to have them wall mounted. They are a bigger than the Energy, but it shouldn't be bad, specially if you were considering the Pioneers.

Yeah no way I can keep them that far from a wall, so I guess those are out.

These level 2s don't look like they have any way to be wall mounted without having a book shelf stand. I looked at the measurement's and I think 12 inch speakers will be too big, and the pioneers are even bigger so those are out. So will the NHT Super Surround 5.1 system be worth the 500 dollars over the energy take classic 5.1 system. My friend is offering to sell me his bose am10, but both the energy's and the nhts should blow those out of the water right, even for my room size?
greenwayer is offline  
post #25 of 41 Old 07-31-2013, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,746
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Yes in my opinion the NHT SuperZeros are an improvement over the Energy Take Classics. They will be very easy to mount as well, having a keyhole in the back.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
Transmaniacon is online now  
post #26 of 41 Old 07-31-2013, 04:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 13,878
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 1059
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnewbie21 View Post


The pioneer are very good speakers, I dare to say unrivalled at their retail price. However, if you are not considering mounting them on a stand, you may not get the best of them. They are back ported and do need about 6 - 12in or more breathing space from the back wall.

Actually, the port will be minimally affected by the presence of the wall if you mount the speaker away from the wall a distance equal to the diameter of the port. The important criteria is the area of the volume that the port dumps into. There's going to be a transition into a volume whose acceptance area is many times the area of the port itself.

If you use most reasonable sized speakers with a subwoofer, the AVR high passes them at a sufficiently high frequency that the port has very little to do.

For example this is the impedance curve of a Pioneer BS41:



The port is maximally active at 50 Hz or the the frequency of the null between the two peaks in the impedance curve. It is minimally active in the realm of the upper peak and above. This speaker would normally be crossed over at say 100 Hz where the port is largely inactive. Thus the slight compromise caused by mounting the speaker one port diameter from the wall will not be a sound quality deal breaker.

The general rule to take away is that rules of thumb we use with speakers that run wide open to the audio frequency band may not apply when we restrict the bandwidth with common system integration tools like bass management.
arnyk is online now  
post #27 of 41 Old 07-31-2013, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 9,296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Actually, the port will be minimally affected by the presence of the wall if you mount the speaker away from the wall a distance equal to the diameter of the port..
Even at that distance there can be a significant alteration in the tuning of the speaker. That can affect the speaker response even an octave above the tuning frequency. To be safe I'd make it no less than two port diameters.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Bill Fitzmaurice is online now  
post #28 of 41 Old 07-31-2013, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
pocoloco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,028
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'd go focal domes. Small, sleek, nice sound.
pocoloco is offline  
post #29 of 41 Old 07-31-2013, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
greenwayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocoloco View Post

I'd go focal domes. Small, sleek, nice sound.
Focal domes are for small rooms. On their website it says a max of 40 meters squared and my room is bigger than that. Now I looked at the sensitivity of the superzeros and the energy takes. The energy takes have a 89db sensitivity where as the superzeros have a sensitivity of 86. Since the sensitivity is higher on the energy takes doesn't that mean it will be better for my bigger room? However, the frequency response is lower on the sz's with about 85hz compared to the energy takes 110hz, so they will be better at lower range for sure.
greenwayer is offline  
post #30 of 41 Old 07-31-2013, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,746
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwayer View Post

Focal domes are for small rooms. On their website it says a max of 40 meters squared and my room is bigger than that. Now I looked at the sensitivity of the superzeros and the energy takes. The energy takes have a 89db sensitivity where as the superzeros have a sensitivity of 86. Since the sensitivity is higher on the energy takes doesn't that mean it will be better for my bigger room? However, the frequency response is lower on the sz's with about 85hz compared to the energy takes 110hz, so they will be better at lower range for sure.

I wouldn't worry about the extension of the speakers as you will be using a sub with either. Your room is medium sized, I think either speaker will get plenty loud for you, unless you want to listen at very high volumes.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
Transmaniacon is online now  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy 5 1 Take Classic Home Theater System , Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers Sp Bs22 Lr , Pioneer Andrew Jones Sp C22 Center Channel Speaker , Dayton Audio Sub 1200 12 120 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Denon Avr 1613 Receiver

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off