Legacy Whisper HD vs B&W 800D vs Revel Ultima Salon2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-29-2013, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The past few months I have been monitoring the used market for full range stereo speakers. After reading many reviews and several auditions (save for the Whisper HD) I have narrowed it down to these speakers. I do not have the luxury of a dedicated listening room, I plan to use these speakers in my living room which also opens up to my kitchen (see attached image). I plan on placing the speakers in the area denoted by the red circle about 1.5ft from the wall (which I understand may not be ideal placement). These three speakers are similarly priced on the used market ~$9k. I am leaning toward the 800D because B&W tend to hold their value well and I will most likely be able to easily get my money back when I decide to upgrade in the future. My only concern with the 800D are the fragility of the diamond tweeters. I enjoyed listening to the Salons as well, but was not a big fan of their cabinets. As mentioned I did not have a chance to audition the Whisper HD, however, I am intrigued.

I am sure I will be thrilled by any of these (currently listening on a pair of RF-7II). Is the Whisper HD comparable to the Salon and 800D or is it outclassed? Since I will be listening in a non-ideal environment, if you believe one speaker will be more forgiving to my placement over another, the advice is welcome! I sincerely appreciate any input you may have.

Room.jpg 24k .jpg file

-Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Room.jpg (24.3 KB, 45 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-15-2014, 01:56 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
salon2 are the best value in audio at any price
post #3 of 8 Old 08-15-2014, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 87
I haven't heard the Legacy Whispers or Revel Ultima Salon2s, but I have heard Legacy Aeris and B&W 800D. The 800D sounds great, but I felt the Aeris was a league above the 800D. Definitely worth listening to the Legacies.
post #4 of 8 Old 08-15-2014, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

With that asymmetric floor plan, good room correction will be essential for good imaging.

I'm a fan of Dirac, so check these out:
http://www.minidsp.com/products/dirac-series
https://emotiva.com/products/pres-an...ing-soon-xmc-1

If you get a Legacy that includes a processor, you could use that, instead.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-15-2014, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 237
In terms of being "forgiving" of acoustic environment and placement, you want speakers that have the best off-axis frequency response. In this case, it is unequivocally the Salon2. The B&W has one of the worst off-axis frequency response and you really need a good room and placement for them.

I used to own the B&W 802D2. My room was pretty good, so they sounded pretty good. But I've heard 800D & 802D in rooms that were not so great, and the B&W didn't sound so great either.

And the Legacy Whisper didn't measure all that well. John Atkinson wrote: "I'm afraid that, without my being able to perform any quasi-anechoic measurements, the Legacy Audio Whisper's measured performance raises more questions than answers".

Translation: the Legacy Whisper had bad measurements.

So the lesson is, if you can audition speakers in your room, then don't worry so much about measurements. But if you have suboptimal room acoustics and placement and you can't audition them in your own room, then it is safer to get speakers that have great on-axis and especially horizontal off-axis measurements. In this case, it is unequivocally the Salon2. Your other option would be the KEF 207/2.

Looking at that room, though, I don't think you should spend $9K on speakers. If you have a RBH dealer near you, try to audition the RBH SX-8300/R Reference towers (new MSRP $5900, street price around $4K new). They may not have the best aesthetics or the mystical Diamond or Beryllium tweeters, but they have a great sound that I think rival these speakers.

Last edited by AcuDefTechGuy; 08-15-2014 at 11:23 AM.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-15-2014, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

While I agree that good off-axis response can help with untreated rooms, you need room correction to help with asymmetric rooms.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-15-2014, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1187 Post(s)
Liked: 1140
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirySound View Post
salon2 are the best value in audio at any price
No way. The jtr and seaton top model is less then 1/2 the price and way better value then salon. Actually I could list 20 speakers that are a better value.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-15-2014, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Consider flipping your room around, if possible, so that the speakers can be centered with symmetric side walls. It's really tough to get great results when you have nearby side walls without left-right symmetry.
Reply Speakers