KEF vs Monitor Audio vs. Martin Logan - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 07-29-2013, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for you advise please....................

I can get my hands on a 9.1 Q series KEF speakers for a very good price but I've also been told to look at the Monitor Audio brand.

Which Monitor Audio series would you say is equivalent to the KEF's Q series.

My goal is to place these speakers in a Basement theatre 16X14 open room for movie watching and music listening.

Your opinion is greatly appreciated.......

sk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-29-2013, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I was in the market for Q500's but went with RS6's. I have never heard either, I love both brands and the deal and aesthetics made me choose MA. I'm subscribed to this so I can find out more about peoples thoughts.

I'm not sure what level you are looking for but there is a website that sells brand new q500r's for $354.94. If I were to buy another set of towers, I would esaily get the q500's especially at that price.

They should be on par with each other from the reviews I read (lots of them).

Some of the others I considered were Focal Chorus 716 and Swan Diva 6.1.

Good luck!
post #3 of 18 Old 07-30-2013, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

I guess, I should have been a bit more specific. I'm planning on purchasing the following:

**Pair of Q900 Front Towers
**Pair of Q300 - Rear Bookshelf
**Q600C - Centre Channel
**Q400 - Subwoofer

Still on the fence whether I should get a pair of the Q800DS to make it a complete 7.1 system.

sk
post #4 of 18 Old 07-30-2013, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 244
That should be an outstanding system.

When Stereophile tested the Q900, they said that a subwoofer was a waste of money, because the Q900 has such extended bass response that one is redundant.

They tried them with and without, and there was no difference.

To go any lower, you would need a high-powered 15-inch subwoofer.
post #5 of 18 Old 07-30-2013, 11:46 AM

Liked: 12
The equivalent MA series would be the Silver RX series. I believe that all tested well with the Q900, but they said that the crossover was cheap, causing cone break-up in the midrange. Perhaps the new generation that was just released improved upon this?
post #6 of 18 Old 07-30-2013, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnybono View Post

I guess, I should have been a bit more specific. I'm planning on purchasing the following:

**Q600C - Centre Channel
**Q400 - Subwoofer

Still on the fence whether I should get a pair of the Q800DS to make it a complete 7.1 system.

sk

Should be a great sounding system!

However I would also suggest going with different sub. You'll get much more sub for your money from several of the ID manufacturers - SVS, Rythmik, Outlaw, HSU, etc., it's a great time to buy a sub wink.gif

Re the KEF Q vs the equivalent Monitor Audio speakers ... both are excellent speakers. To my ears the KEF's have slightly better imaging (a bonus for HT) while the MA's are just a slightly bit more forward. Both are excellent choices.
post #7 of 18 Old 07-30-2013, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone who has commented on my post. I'm just so confused because someone just recently told me to also look at the Martin Logan line of speaker (pair of motion 40 and 15, and centre channel 30).

My goal is to use the system to watch movies/tv 60% of the time, 30% will be for party music and hopefully I can somehow incorporate these speakers into my karaoke system.

I've now entered the Martin Logan in the title hoping to hear some feedback that will place my mind at ease!!!

sk
post #8 of 18 Old 07-30-2013, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictaudio View Post

The equivalent MA series would be the Silver RX series. I believe that all tested well with the Q900, but they said that the crossover was cheap, causing cone break-up in the midrange. Perhaps the new generation that was just released improved upon this?

Sorry who's crossover was cheap..........

sk
post #9 of 18 Old 07-30-2013, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:

Thank you everyone who has commented on my post. I'm just so confused because someone just recently told me to also look at the Martin Logan line of speaker (pair of motion 40 and 15, and centre channel 30).

My goal is to use the system to watch movies/tv 60% of the time, 30% will be for party music and hopefully I can somehow incorporate these speakers into my karaoke system.

I've now entered the Martin Logan in the title hoping to hear some feedback that will place my mind at ease!!!

sk

I just got to listen to the ML motion 40s and 20s and ESL at a BB Magnolia. I didn't have much time though. The 40s sounded very nice, the 20s for some reason were much more forward even though they share the same tweeter and I didn't like them at all actually. The ESLs had the nicest voicing and midrange without being overly bright.

The 40s had the most bass and were surprising close to the ESLs in overall sound (as they were set up at least).

But I've never heard the MA or Kefs.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #10 of 18 Old 07-30-2013, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 50
my preference would be for the MAs over the others. Ive heard several MAs, kefs and MLs.

everyone will have their own preference, so just because mine is this way, yours might be different.

good luck shopping.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
Naim Nait XS-2, Jolida FX Tube DAC, Integra DTR-40.2, 55" Panasonic Plasma
post #11 of 18 Old 07-30-2013, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

**Q600C - Centre Channel
**Q400 - Subwoofer

sk

I would rather go for 5 identical q300's and dual subs.

Or if you want towers, q900 front, q300 center, q300 surrounds, dual subs.
post #12 of 18 Old 07-30-2013, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Why Q300 and not the Q600 as your center speaker?.

post #13 of 18 Old 07-30-2013, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 144
The few KEFs I've heard I didn't much care for. Sounded too bright for my taste.

I was quite impressed when I heard some Monitor Audio GX50's and brought the set.

I know of someone that owned a set of KEF LS50's and ended up returning them and got some Monitor Audio GX100's and was much happier with those.

Everyone's tastes are different... there is no substitute for listening to them for yourself and deciding what you like the sound of better.

post #14 of 18 Old 07-30-2013, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I've got to agree everyone has their taste in what sound they like coming from a speaker.

post #15 of 18 Old 07-30-2013, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post

Why Q300 and not the Q600 as your center speaker?.

Because horizontal centers are a compromise to save on height and suffer from lobing, comb filtering, and worse imaging. The one benefit the q600 might have compared to the q300 is output and saving on height if placing the q300 vertical, but that's it. I would take the q300 over it for center channel duty. I'm in the minority on AVS, everybody loves their horizontal centers here.

However, I will say that the q600 is a much better design than the typical MTM horizontal center.
post #16 of 18 Old 07-30-2013, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info that's good to know.

post #17 of 18 Old 07-30-2013, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by csgamer View Post

Because horizontal centers are a compromise to save on height and suffer from lobing, comb filtering, and worse imaging. The one benefit the q600 might have compared to the q300 is output and saving on height if placing the q300 vertical, but that's it. I would take the q300 over it for center channel duty. I'm in the minority on AVS, everybody loves their horizontal centers here.

However, I will say that the q600 is a much better design than the typical MTM horizontal center.

Normally I would agree with csgamer on this - if feasible loose the horizontal center and get either three identical speakers LCR, or, use the matching vertical bookshelf speaker as a center.

However, with Q900's as LR mains this situation is one of the few where I might disagree and recommend the (horizontal) Q600 over a Q300 as a center. The Q900s are huge and output a lot of sound, I would worry a single Q300 might not be able to keep up as well as the Q600. And as csgamer mentioned, the Q600 is "a much better design than the typical MTM horizontal center". (To my ears the concentric tweeter/midrange driver reduces lobbing compared to the other MTM horizontal speakers I've heard.)

If two-channel stereo music listening is the priority I would recommend Q900's with the Q600c.

If HT/surround is the priority I would whole heartedly second csgamers earlier recommendation of 5x Q300's all the way around.

Re different speaker brand's sq ... there are a lot of good choices and personal preference really comes into play. At this price point you probably should consider auditioning your top two (or three) choices in your home. (You don't need to audition a full 5.0 set, a pair will do.)

Good luck!
post #18 of 18 Old 08-28-2013, 05:17 PM

i am a huge KEF fan (Reference series for me). I do recall listening to some Monitor Audio products a few years ago for my secondary system. I was impressed how similar they were to the KEFs (very neutral). Only heard MArtin Logans once and did not care for it.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Kef Q500wa Floor Standing Speaker
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page