Energy Take Classic subwoofer low volume? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 08-04-2013, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've just bought and setup the Energy Take Classic 5.1 (with Onkyo TX-NR609). I notice the subwoofer's volume is really low. I have to set it to max to even hear anything coming out from the subwoofer.
I connect one RCA cable from the receiver's SUBWOOFER to the left LINE IN/SUB IN of the subwoofer. Will other methods to connect the subwoofer (mentioned in the manual) help?

Can someone please confirm if the low volume is normal? I'd hate to know that my subwoofer is defective.

Thanks a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-04-2013, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Hard to judge by your description. What did you do with the avr to set it up? What sound mode are you listening in? Do you have any way of measuring spl? You may expect too much of a very small sub like that (I own one). How big is your room? That sub can be swallowed up by a large room.

post #3 of 19 Old 08-04-2013, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

I've tried all listening modes. If I use the speaker level calibration feature (from the AVR), I'd have to set other speakers to negative and the subwoofer to +7 or +8 to have them all at the same output level. Volume at the subwoofer is maxed, btw.

Yes, I understand energy take classic are relatively small speakers, but the center & the satellite ones are loud, IMO.
post #4 of 19 Old 08-04-2013, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightman View Post

I've tried all listening modes. If I use the speaker level calibration feature (from the AVR), I'd have to set other speakers to negative and the subwoofer to +7 or +8 to have them all at the same output level. Volume at the subwoofer is maxed, btw.

Yes, I understand energy take classic are relatively small speakers, but the center & the satellite ones are loud, IMO.

Had this setup as my first speaker setup. The sub is by no means quiet.

Just as a word of advice, have the volume on the back of the sub at about half. not full. If/when your sub does start pushing out sound, it'll destroy your sub if it isn't already not working. When it does work it will be plenty loud at half volume.

Another thing to do is if I remember right, the sub can choose whether to use its own crossover or the receiver. Make sure it is set for your receiver.

For those looking into getting Energy speakers, or upgrading their current Energy setup, here are some reviews I've written that may help:http://www.tempestaudio.blogspot.com  (haven't updated in a while, but include Energy Take Classic 5.1, RC-10, CF-70, and CC-10)

post #5 of 19 Old 08-04-2013, 05:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 351
I've setup the take classic 5.1 for a few friends and didn't have the calibration problems that you do. My subwoofer channel level was between -2 and +2.

This was using Pioneer and Denon receivers, not your Onkyo NR609.

The NR609 has two subwoofer outputs, which one are you using, top or bottom?

Afro GT
post #6 of 19 Old 08-04-2013, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

I've setup the take classic 5.1 for a few friends and didn't have the calibration problems that you do. My subwoofer channel level was between -2 and +2.

This was using Pioneer and Denon receivers, not your Onkyo NR609.

The NR609 has two subwoofer outputs, which one are you using, top or bottom?

I tried both: SUBWOOFER and PRE OUT (from NR609), same result

Which one should I use anyway?
post #7 of 19 Old 08-04-2013, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macstatic View Post

Had this setup as my first speaker setup. The sub is by no means quiet.

Just as a word of advice, have the volume on the back of the sub at about half. not full. If/when your sub does start pushing out sound, it'll destroy your sub if it isn't already not working. When it does work it will be plenty loud at half volume.

Another thing to do is if I remember right, the sub can choose whether to use its own crossover or the receiver. Make sure it is set for your receiver.

The sub currently outputs sound, just very low volume though.
Not sure what you mean about the crossover thing, but I will try to figure out from the settings
post #8 of 19 Old 08-04-2013, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Does break-in period have anything to do with this? I've only used the speakers for a few hours
post #9 of 19 Old 08-04-2013, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Use the sub woofer specific pre-out. You might try a splitter, and use both inputs on the sub at the same time, there may be a slight boost in signal to the sub amp that might help. Set the sub's low pass to max. Did you try alternating phase 0/180 and pick the one for the best bass?

A few hours may be enough break-in, the manual recommends 50 hrs, but won't change the volume drastically even if it isn't broken in now.

What size room are you using?

ps I'd assume the Onkyo would set these Take speakers all as small, but make sure your front speakers are set to small. What do you have as crossover settings in the avr?

pps looking back you never confirmed if you setup the system with the Onkyo, using Audyssey, etc

ppps like someone else said, don't turn the volume to max on the sub, from personal experience I'd say 60-70% max but usually 50% should be more than enough.

post #10 of 19 Old 08-04-2013, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

It looks like I need to tweak some settings in the AVR first before asking more questions.

To be honest, I haven't gone through all settings in the NR609, I thought I didn't have to. I simply replaced the Onkyo HT540 speaker set with the Energy Take Classic and noticed some differences.
(I'm a newbie in speaker settings, BTW)

Yes, I set the sub volume to half now.

Thanks everyone a lot for helping.
post #11 of 19 Old 08-04-2013, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

The sub currently outputs sound, just very low volume though.
Not sure what you mean about the crossover thing, but I will try to figure out from the settings

The crossover is what determines is sent to your speakers and what is sent to your subwoofer. You'll want to set the crossover to 120hZ or higher, since your speakers can only get that low at their best. This will send anything below that to the subwoofer.

Just as a precaution you can set the crossover on the back of your subwoofer to the same thing.

For those looking into getting Energy speakers, or upgrading their current Energy setup, here are some reviews I've written that may help:http://www.tempestaudio.blogspot.com  (haven't updated in a while, but include Energy Take Classic 5.1, RC-10, CF-70, and CC-10)

post #12 of 19 Old 08-04-2013, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Question do this sub is like many other subs ,that you need to set the crossover knob to the max to bypass the sub crossover.
post #13 of 19 Old 08-04-2013, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It looks like I need to tweak some settings in the AVR first before asking more questions.

To be honest, I haven't gone through all settings in the NR609, I thought I didn't have to. I simply replaced the Onkyo HT540 speaker set with the Energy Take Classic and noticed some differences.
(I'm a newbie in speaker settings, BTW)

Yes, I set the sub volume to half now.

Thanks everyone a lot for helping.

No, each speaker system needs its own setup, run the routine with the measurement mic, use the Audyssey faq thread if you need help but your manual should do fine in getting thru setup.

post #14 of 19 Old 08-05-2013, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

I've been reading the AVR manual for speaker settings carefully now...

One quick question though: are Energy Take Classic speakers THX-certified?
post #15 of 19 Old 08-05-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 351
No, they are not but you don't need THX certified speakers to have a good sounding system.

I doubt any small satellite speakers are THX certified because a 3" driver wont go down to 80hz.

Afro GT
post #16 of 19 Old 08-10-2013, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

So I ran Audyssey setup, afterward I set crossover for all speakers to be 120Hz (Audyssey sets them to 100Hz which is outside the frequency response of Take Classic speakers). But I still have very weak bass coming out from the subwoofer frown.gif

The Audyssey setup sets speaker level calibration as Center -7, Satellite -6 and Subwoofer -4 but when I play the test tone it's clear that the sub is far from being loud as other channels.

What is the best audio source to test subwoofer? A blu-ray movie or audio CD or…?
post #17 of 19 Old 08-11-2013, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, the sub won't be as "loud" as the other channels as they don't carry the same amount of content, think of the subwoofer to provide lower extension than your speakers can, more of a subtle thing in many cases. This thread http://www.avsforum.com/t/1333462/the-new-master-list-of-bass-in-movies-with-frequency-charts shows what movies have the lowest bass content but your sub isn't capable of reproducing the very low bass. Music cd's are more in the range of your sub's capabilities, pick out some tracks with good bass lines, maybe from a bassist like Jaco Pastorius or search the forums for music suggestions like this http://www.avsforum.com/t/1027518/need-songs-with-really-low-bass

Now, on the other hand you might boosting the bass with the trim a bit and see if that sounds better to you.

post #18 of 19 Old 08-11-2013, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

I figured it out now, it's the low-pass filter in the back of the subwoofer that was set too low. I spent so much time on AVR speaker settings and totally forgot about it.
Now it sounds great!
post #19 of 19 Old 08-11-2013, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Congrats! Does help to check all your settings, twice sometimes.... smile.gif

Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy 5 1 Take Classic Home Theater System , Onkyo Tx Nr609 7 2 Channel Network Thx Certified A V Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page