post #61 of 75 Old 08-15-2013, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by bao01 View Post

I want very musical bass. I think (i stress think because its a close call) that amazing low, forceful bass that smacks me out of my chair during a movie explosion is less important - i want good bass during movies but i think i want very musical, correct, tight bass for music even more. But i do want really deep, powerful bass. I just don't want flabby, cheap, deep, powerful bass. Does that make sense at all?

Price is not that big a factor. Looks are somewhat important - I don't want something HUGE! Fit and finish, build quality are very important - i.e. will it last forever. I dont really want to buy subs ever few years.

Get dual Funk 18.0 TSADv1 unpowered subs in piano gloss black.

They will last forever.

You don't even have to worry about the internal amps malfunctioning after the 3YR warranty expires. Just use your own external amps.

The piano gloss black aesthetic of the Funk subs will match the piano gloss black of B&W 802D2, KEF 205/2, or Revel Studio2.

Super tight, musical, accurate, punchy, powerful bass that goes down to even 10Hz if you need. As musical as they get. You won't find any sub more musical and tight IMO. Top of the sub-food chain.

Nathan Funk manufactures his own TSAD sub drivers and stress-test them w/ 4,000 Watts RMS power. They are pretty much unassailable. biggrin.gif

I have dual Funk 18.0 TSADv1 subs, but I wish I had gotten them in piano gloss black. biggrin.gif

I use my own ATI AT3002 amp to power them. The AT3000 amps are rated for 450 watts into 4 ohms, but measure more like 600 watts @ 1% THD. These amps will last forever too. biggrin.gif

But the beauty is, you can use any amp you like. Use the Audyssey XT32 or ARC room correction to EQ the Speakers and Subs in the room.

If money no-object, I would have gotten five Funk 18.0 unpowered piano gloss black subs. biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 75 Old 08-15-2013, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Yes, if money is not a big deal its hard to beat Funks. They're really nice subs. Expensive, but awesome.

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #63 of 75 Old 08-17-2013, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

Dealer cost for KEF Reference2 is 50%, Revel Ultima2 is 45%, and B&W Diamond is like 35%, so you could negotiate a much better price on KEF Ref.
Diamonds are like $3-4K/pair. Beryllium is like $ 1.6K/pr. Titanium a few hundred dollars.

This kind of info is REALLY useful for folks on this site looking to negotiate and then buy from a dealer. Thanks you very much !!!

But i have to ask, how does one go about finding out how much dealers pay manufacturers for speakers? Seems like it would be well guarded info. Do you have an inside man so to speak?

B&W 802 Diamond mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center, B&W 804 Diamond surrounds, Parasound HALO A 51, Krell KAV-300i , Integra DHC-80.3 pre-pro, two JL Audio Fathom f113 subs, Panasonic TC-P65VT50 65" plasma
post #64 of 75 Old 08-17-2013, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Get dual Funk 18.0 TSADv1 unpowered subs in piano gloss black.

They will last forever.

You don't even have to worry about the internal amps malfunctioning after the 3YR warranty expires. Just use your own external amps.

The piano gloss black aesthetic of the Funk subs will match the piano gloss black of B&W 802D2, KEF 205/2, or Revel Studio2.

Super tight, musical, accurate, punchy, powerful bass that goes down to even 10Hz if you need. As musical as they get. You won't find any sub more musical and tight IMO. Top of the sub-food chain.

Nathan Funk manufactures his own TSAD sub drivers and stress-test them w/ 4,000 Watts RMS power. They are pretty much unassailable. biggrin.gif

I have dual Funk 18.0 TSADv1 subs, but I wish I had gotten them in piano gloss black. biggrin.gif

I use my own ATI AT3002 amp to power them. The AT3000 amps are rated for 450 watts into 4 ohms, but measure more like 600 watts @ 1% THD. These amps will last forever too. biggrin.gif

But the beauty is, you can use any amp you like. Use the Audyssey XT32 or ARC room correction to EQ the Speakers and Subs in the room.

If money no-object, I would have gotten five Funk 18.0 unpowered piano gloss black subs. biggrin.gif

But would a JL Fathom f113 sound just as good as these ID subs?

B&W 802 Diamond mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center, B&W 804 Diamond surrounds, Parasound HALO A 51, Krell KAV-300i , Integra DHC-80.3 pre-pro, two JL Audio Fathom f113 subs, Panasonic TC-P65VT50 65" plasma
post #65 of 75 Old 08-17-2013, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 28
The JL will perform great, what I think AcuDefTechGuy is getting at is how much money you can save by going ID without the fear of getting an inferior product with respect to subs and amps (if using a Funk amp) but even looking beyond the Funk to the likes of ATI, ATI is far cheaper then say a Classe, McIntosh, Bryston, Parasound/Halo, Anthem not to mention the likes of Krell and Mark Levinson and gulp, Boulder.

post #66 of 75 Old 08-17-2013, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But would a JL Fathom f113 sound just as good as these ID subs?

I think so.

The Funk, Rythmik, SVS, & Seaton unequivocally outperform the JL. But at the end of the day, even after seeing how much more SPL the ID subs can crank out (per given THD & power compression) than the BM subs, the JL probably sounds just as good.

If you like the aesthetic and name brand of JL better, go for it. They are excellent subs.
post #67 of 75 Old 08-17-2013, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This kind of info is REALLY useful for folks on this site looking to negotiate and then buy from a dealer. Thanks you very much !!!

But i have to ask, how does one go about finding out how much dealers pay manufacturers for speakers? Seems like it would be well guarded info. Do you have an inside man so to speak?

Yes, I do. biggrin.gif

It's WHO you know, right? wink.gif
post #68 of 75 Old 08-18-2013, 02:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

I am jealous of you and everyone who has Audyssey XT32. I did not upgrade my AVP-A1HDCI from XT to XT32 because I did not want to risk shipping a 60 lbs processor. So now I am just waiting for someone to come out with a standalone XT32 unit.

Maybe you should try to find a upgrade kit and do the upgrade since it not only is better with XT32 vs XT but even on other digital signals it became better. We are not sure why but the massive amount of new DSP/CPU power probably gave more room to some of the digital works. The trick with DEQ for music is to find the correct offset since it depends on signal input levels.

Very happy with the 802D2/avp/poa combo now...

Daniel.

for men to evolve we have to upgrade
post #69 of 75 Old 08-18-2013, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielo View Post

Maybe you should try to find a upgrade kit and do the upgrade since it not only is better with XT32 vs XT but even on other digital signals it became better. We are not sure why but the massive amount of new DSP/CPU power probably gave more room to some of the digital works. The trick with DEQ for music is to find the correct offset since it depends on signal input levels.

Very happy with the 802D2/avp/poa combo now...

Daniel.

My qualm is for FedEX or UPS to MISHANDLE the delivery of my AVP-A1 to & from the service center out of state since there are none in OKC. What if they dropped my AVP in transit causing more damage than good? eek.gif

It would be difficult to claim "loss of sound quality" if the boxes were seemingly undamaged.

If I lived In Dallas I might have.

But, I am extremely happy w/ Audyssey XT DEQ as is. So no imminent anxiety. biggrin.gif
post #70 of 75 Old 08-18-2013, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

My qualm is for FedEX or UPS to MISHANDLE the delivery of my AVP-A1 to & from the service center out of state since there are none in OKC. What if they dropped my AVP in transit causing more damage than good? eek.gif

It would be difficult to claim "loss of sound quality" if the boxes were seemingly undamaged.

If I lived In Dallas I might have.

But, I am extremely happy w/ Audyssey XT DEQ as is. So no imminent anxiety. biggrin.gif

Yeah the same feeling most of us had, more than a few decided to drive it in ourselves to a trusted service place. I ended up driving to a different country (Germany) to have the work done and turned it into a small trip.

Daniel.

for men to evolve we have to upgrade
post #71 of 75 Old 08-18-2013, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielo View Post

Yeah the same feeling most of us had, more than a few decided to drive it in ourselves to a trusted service place. I ended up driving to a different country (Germany) to have the work done and turned it into a small trip.

Daniel.

Now that is dedication and passion! biggrin.gif
post #72 of 75 Old 08-18-2013, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I once walked with the backpack on my back from Germany to Netherlands, though for totally different reasons. How about that kind of dedication biggrin.gif
post #73 of 75 Old 08-18-2013, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes, I do. biggrin.gif

It's WHO you know, right? wink.gif

Your man wouldn't happen to know the retail markup for JL Audio f113? Trying to see how much i can reduce MSRP if i buy two.

thanks

post #74 of 75 Old 08-19-2013, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Your man wouldn't happen to know the retail markup for JL Audio f113? Trying to see how much i can reduce MSRP if i buy two.

thanks

He would know. Sent you PM.
post #75 of 75 Old 08-19-2013, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giedrys View Post

I once walked with the backpack on my back from Germany to Netherlands, though for totally different reasons. How about that kind of dedication biggrin.gif

That's gods-damn dedicated. biggrin.gif

The closest Denon center from me is a 4hr drive (& 4 hrs back). I am not not dedicated. biggrin.gif
Reply Speakers

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Dmp Bdt320 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page