Speaker recommendations for media room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-05-2013, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just moved to a house with a dedicated media room and as someone who isn't that knowledgeable about AV equipment, I need your advice! ;-) The room is as follows:

15' x 13' x 8'
carpeted
one row of seating approx 10' from the front of the room

Here's what I currently have in the room:

65" Panasonic VT60 (wall mount)
Sony DN-1040 AVR
Sony S-5100 blu ray player
Verizon FIOS STB

The previous owner installed 5 Klipsch R-2650-W in-wall speakers and a Klipsch RPW-10 sub. I'm not crazy about the sound and the surround channels feel like they're mounted higher than they should be (they're in the rear wall about 6 inches from each corner and the center of the speakers is 68" from the floor). Also, there is no backing box on any of the speakers and you can hear quite a bit of sound bleeding through the rear wall in particular. In a nutshell, I'm thinking about removing these speakers, patching the holes and buying something new altogether. Given my existing equipment and a $2,000 - $2,500 budget, can anyone recommend speakers for this room? Thanks very much for any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-05-2013, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

I should add that I only need 5.1 even though the AVR is 7.1/7.2.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-05-2013, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 421
There are so many choices in that price range it makes it difficult to just name a few.

What's available where you live so you can demo? Do you want to or can you do mail order? What have you listened to before (other than what's already in the room?

Movies only? Combination of movie and music?

Budget includes the sub? If so look to spend $600-$1000 on a nice sub or a pair of subs and the rest on the speakers.

Gene

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #4 of 8 Old 08-05-2013, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

What's available where you live so you can demo?

I'm not sure yet. I'm in the DC metro area so in addition to somewhere like BB, I'm sure there are probably other good places to check out, I just don't know where they are yet. ;-)
Quote:

Do you want to or can you do mail order?

Mail order would be fine with me. I realize that speakers are going to be subjective to a degree but if lots of people have good things to say about X, Y or Z, I'd probably be comfortable ordering something based on that.
Quote:

What have you listened to before (other than what's already in the room)?

Nothing else yet. My experience with speakers is pretty limited. I have a pair of Yamaha HS50M studio monitors connected to a synth and I'm using a pair of Swan M200MkIII desktop speakers with my computer but other than that, I don't have much to compare to.
Quote:

Movies only? Combination of movie and music?

I'd like something to use for a combination of TV/movies as well as music. I listen to just about everything except rap and hip hop.
Quote:

Budget includes the sub?

Ideally, yes. If I really, *really* need to spend more than $2500 to get good 5.1 sound, I might be able to do it but I'd prefer to stay < $2500 if possible.

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply. I really appreciate the info!
post #5 of 8 Old 08-06-2013, 12:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Check out Philharmonic Audio Philharmonitors. 6 all around would be $2550, but you'll need stands. They're made in DC, you can go audition them in the wizard's own living room. smile.gif

post #6 of 8 Old 08-06-2013, 10:50 AM

Liked: 28
Speakers are so subjective, it's best to go audition as many as you can and get a feel for what your ears prefer. Some like horns, some like panels, some like ribbons... You will find a lot of manufacturers that offer packages in your price range.
XStanleyX likes this.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-07-2013, 03:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

Check out Philharmonic Audio Philharmonitors. 6 all around would be $2550, but you'll need stands. They're made in DC, you can go audition them in the wizard's own living room. smile.gif

+1
These are $850 a pair and I'm sure Dennis would sell you a set of 5. Then all you need is a sub, and stands. You are lucky to live near Philharmonic. Your space is not that big so you don't need big speakers.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-07-2013, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnacleBill View Post

+1
These are $850 a pair and I'm sure Dennis would sell you a set of 5. Then all you need is a sub, and stands. You are lucky to live near Philharmonic. Your space is not that big so you don't need big speakers.

+2

You will not be sorry you took the time to visit him.

His contact info and address is at the bottom of his web page http://philharmonicaudio.com/
Reply Speakers

Tags
Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Sony Str Dn1040 7 2 Channel 1050 Watt A V Receiver , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi
Gear in this thread - S5100 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page