Need help for best in $1500 range for 5.1 towers and surrounds - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 08-07-2013, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After exhausting another thread I have come to the conclusion I need to up my budget.

I currently have a Denon 2113CI which will run the system. My listening is 80% music and 20% ht.
Total room size is approx 40 x 20. Half is my workout area and the other half is the TV area. Half the floor is rubber tile the other half is concrete to be carpeted. 2 pair of Infinity 1262's will be set up at a later time run by a Inuke, peavey or the like.

The wife and I aren't concerned w/ looks but quality is important. If it sounds tinny, fatiguing or harsh she'll put the ka-bosh on it quickly and it won't get used again. So Klipsch is out of the question for both of us.

The BIC 8" surround system was recommended due to it's high efficiency. However, after trading some PM's it was suggested that I might be sacraficing some clarity at the benefit of volume.

HSU were recommended as a good contender but due to their small size their ability to be full bodied musically in a 40x20 was questioned.

The ARX A5 was suggested BUT my only concern is the lack of a center. I would like to make a single purchase and be done w/ things. I read plenty of good reviews about them and the A1 bookshelves but a lacking center is making it a hard choice. I really don't want to send speakers back and forth if I can avoid it.

I have tried audiogon but my brower continually freezes when I try to search, AND there is a sh$t ton of speakers for sale so;
1-I have no idea how to start comparing
2-I want to be able to have a complete set even if purchased seperately
3-Officals reviews seem to be aged by several years. I'd hate to make a buy on an older model only to find out I can't match the center and surrounds.

I don't want harsh or fatiguing highs and I need dialogue in movies to be clear and crisp. I read a review w/ the user having the Matrix as a tests feature when the female ( unk recalled name at this time) is whispering to Neo as one of his center channel quality test.
The towers must be able to function as full range towers, regardless of the planned subs.

Considering:
ARX line
EMP
Swan original ( would put me a bit over budget AND it appears I cannot find a matching center and rears/surrounds for the 6.2)
HTD level 3

I heard the Rockets and Jamo were some decent choices but I find nothing on the Rockets and the Jamo seems hit or miss.

At least w/ subs I'll do 4 Infinity 1262's inexpensive and simple.

I'm open to ideas but I must have towers and musical quality of the towers is important along w/ the center for dialogue. I'm not sure if that's too much to ask but what the heck. And I have found no one and no place to demo in my middle-of-no where residence.

Oh and I searched for "best tower" and "best speaker" and many threads are several years old OR they are wayyyyyy outta my budget. Can't do 2k when I still have to build my subs and get another amp.

Still a stereo Noob, Denon 2113 w/ Arx5 & A1b surrounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 08-07-2013, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Found this:

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-revel-f12-black-ash-mint-cond-extras-2013-07-19-speakers-60108-bloomingdale-il

post #3 of 24 Old 08-07-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 250
That looks like a good deal on the Revel F12's. Then you can add their Concerta C12 for the center and S12's for the surrounds to round out the system.

However, you will need a sub (looks like two or more 15" big bruisers given your room size). Expect to spend literally THOUSANDS for a true full range tower speaker.

The Rythmik FV15HP sub is a great choice. Save up for these bad boys.

Though, that receiver seems quite under powered (95 watts per channel on a good day), again due to the extra large room you're dealing with. Sound waves do not stop at your designated listening area, funny that. biggrin.gif

Seeing as how I don't know if you just bought the receiver and can return it or not, I would still recommend getting a receiver model that has full pre-amp outputs. That way you can add one or more separate amplifiers to better power your speakers, since you have to compensate with extra volume. That leads to speaker damaging distortion if the amp is over driven.

Run, don't walk, away from Rocket speakers. AV123 was a business disaster and just try getting parts easily if you run into problems. They were also on the bright side if memory serves.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #4 of 24 Old 08-07-2013, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

That looks like a good deal on the Revel F12's. Then you can add their Concerta C12 for the center and S12's for the surrounds to round out the system.

However, you will need a sub (looks like two or more 15" big bruisers given your room size). Expect to spend literally THOUSANDS for a true full range tower speaker.

The Rythmik FV15HP sub is a great choice. Save up for these bad boys.

Though, that receiver seems quite under powered (95 watts per channel on a good day), again due to the extra large room you're dealing with. Sound waves do not stop at your designated listening area, funny that. biggrin.gif

Seeing as how I don't know if you just bought the receiver and can return it or not, I would still recommend getting a receiver model that has full pre-amp outputs. That way you can add one or more separate amplifiers to better power your speakers, since you have to compensate with extra volume. That leads to speaker damaging distortion if the amp is over driven.

Run, don't walk, away from Rocket speakers. AV123 was a business disaster and just try getting parts easily if you run into problems. They were also on the bright side if memory serves.

I also found
http://app.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-acoustic-energy-aelite-3-new-3-way-4-dr-columns-save-1900-2013-08-06-speakers-30067

Dan,
I will use 4 Infinity 1262's and a Inuke3000 which will suffice for my sub needs. Coming from 2 12's towers on my last stereo w/ my 65watt HK, the 95/channel and the ability to bi-amp from zone 2/channels 6/7 will give me 190 up front plus the 4 subs, I'll have sooooo much more than before. I currently have 2 HP speakers and my ipod powering the workout room.

@ 400 bucks I couldn't pass up the Denon refurb and it was in my price range. I have a little time on the return. What would have been a better buy for the $?

AV123, I guess thats why I can't find anything on the speakers. Bummer.

post #5 of 24 Old 08-07-2013, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Great deal on this factory refurbed Marantz 5007 7.2-channel receiver. Has full selection of pre-amp outs, better built-in amp section, Apple Airplay, 4k upscaling, 3D pass through, smartphone remote control app, good Audyssey calibration software, upgraded binding posts. $499. With any refurb, it might be smart to use a credit card with warranty extension benefits or purchase an extra extended warranty.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARSR5007/MARANTZ-SR5007-100w-x7-NetworkingTheater-Receiver-w/AirPlay-3D-4K/1.html

Marantz is the upscale sister company of Denon. Usually has more features for the money too.

I'm more familiar with the Revel speakers and their sound. I'd go with the Revels IMHO. Harmon International is a great company to deal with and they make good products.

Emotiva makes good better-than-budget range power amplifiers and gets excellent user feedback. Really would make those Revels sing.

post #6 of 24 Old 08-07-2013, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

You know anything about Mordaunt-Short? He has the Aviano 6 at 495/pair and I also found them for 479/pair. At that price I could afford to get to pairs, front and for rears/surrounds. Then I could grab the carnival center and i'd be set.

http://www.underwoodhifi.com/2012/05/mordaunt-short.html

LOl thats were I got my Denon smile.gif Is the 5 watts really worth the 100 bucks? Money is tight thus the reason I chose the Denon, believing it is a good compromise between price and features.

I'll have to read up on emotiva.

Thanks for the thoughts!

post #7 of 24 Old 08-07-2013, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mordaunt Short never really took off here in the States. They're capable speakers for music more than movies if you don't play them really loudly... not sure about these in such a large room. Could be pushing things a bit.

You absolutely want to timbre match the front three speakers. Though, you really do want all your speakers to match. The Carnival and Aviano speakers are from two different model lines and therefore voiced differently.

Though the Revel Concertas are pricier, you can more easily match the center and surrounds since they're still being made. The Revel specifications are also much more realistic in real-world applications than the M.S.'s. Be patient, save up, and add a bit at a time as your budget allows. You'll end up with a much nicer system.

It's more than just the extra 5 watts on the Marantz 5007 (the power supply is more robust). Better parts over all and you can add an outboard amplifier at some point. A much nicer upgrade path. You can't on the Denon you purchased; no pre-amp outputs (except the sub).

post #8 of 24 Old 08-07-2013, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerlifter405 View Post

I also found
http://app.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-acoustic-energy-aelite-3-new-3-way-4-dr-columns-save-1900-2013-08-06-speakers-30067

the 95/channel and the ability to bi-amp from zone 2/channels 6/7 will give me 190 up front plus the 4 subs, I'll have sooooo much more than before. I currently have 2 HP speakers and my ipod powering the workout room.

Bi-amping (passive in your case) will NOT give you 190 watts/channel up front. You're still only going to get whatever the amp can dish out depending on how many channels you're running. 5 channels driven and you're down to about 70 or so.

Here's the HT test results for the step up 2313
Two channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 126.8 watts
1% distortion at 152.1 watts

Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 77.7 watts
1% distortion at 90.8 watts

Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 74.3 watts
1% distortion at 84.3 watts

Bi-amping the fronts from the AVR will result in the 7 channels driven output mode. So when things get crazy in the surrounds and center even for a brief moment you're only going to get about 75 watts/channel.

And for Arx, they do have a center channel the A2. Currently out of stock though. So you can run 3 towers across the front if your screen is wall mounted high enough or use one of the A1s. For the speakers the SPL at LP is directly related to how far you sit. So when watching movies withing the seating area you don't need to fill the entire 40x20' area.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #9 of 24 Old 08-07-2013, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Mordaunt Short never really took off here in the States. They're capable speakers for music more than movies if you don't play them really loudly... not sure about these in such a large room. Could be pushing things a bit.

You absolutely want to timbre match the front three speakers. Though, you really do want all your speakers to match. The Carnival and Aviano speakers are from two different model lines and therefore voiced differently.

Though the Revel Concertas are pricier, you can more easily match the center and surrounds since they're still being made. The Revel specifications are also much more realistic in real-world applications than the M.S.'s. Be patient, save up, and add a bit at a time as your budget allows. You'll end up with a much nicer system.

It's more than just the extra 5 watts on the Marantz 5007 (the power supply is more robust). Better parts over all and you can add an outboard amplifier at some point. A much nicer upgrade path. You can't on the Denon you purchased; no pre-amp outputs (except the sub).

Good to know about the MS. I'm waiting for a reply on the Revel 12.
I have nothing at the moment and we have been saving some and all the reviews for the 2113 seemed that i'd provide what I needed. I''ll have to see what my options are.

post #10 of 24 Old 08-07-2013, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

Bi-amping (passive in your case) will NOT give you 190 watts/channel up front. You're still only going to get whatever the amp can dish out depending on how many channels you're running. 5 channels driven and you're down to about 70 or so.

Bi-amping the fronts from the AVR will result in the 7 channels driven output mode. So when things get crazy in the surrounds and center even for a brief moment you're only going to get about 75 watts/channel.

And for Arx, they do have a center channel the A2. Currently out of stock though. So you can run 3 towers across the front if your screen is wall mounted high enough or use one of the A1s. For the speakers the SPL at LP is directly related to how far you sit. So when watching movies withing the seating area you don't need to fill the entire 40x20' area.

I got some emails from Jon and on TAI it was said they are waiting for the next gen to arrive. The emails and posts indicated the A2 first gen was short lived and the next gen is waiting for a delivery date. The fact is some of the postings for the new A2 are nearly a year old. I figure I could bug Jon to get in on the group buy but I don't want my $$ tied up for a product I wont' see for an undetermined amount of time. I've seen in happen in the emerging diesel-speed industry. Empire and Elite diesel are just 2 companies that had $ for years on products that were in testing phases but never panned out. Refunds were finally given but I can find posts 2 years old that are "wtf is my refund dude?" and I don't want something odd to happen and be stuck in that boat. Unintentional or not, those things happen. Think AV123.

I read plenty of good about the ARX so I am interested. It shows lots of promise and the new center is something I'm excited about.

Ok, I thought each channel was 95 watts, but I don't recall seeing rms vs max and I'm used to my Aplines running rms.
On the 7 channel is that 74 watts rms per channel? If I ran the rear surround to the front along w/ the primary front wouldn't that be 148 watts/channel? I do have a voltmeter so now you got me thinking, curious to see what happens when I hook it up wink.gif

post #11 of 24 Old 08-07-2013, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

Whats the comparative thought on this 2312? It seems to be a straight across trade for me. I'll call A4L and get some ideas as my 2113 was delivered last week.

]AVR-2312CI 7.2-Channel A/V Receiver, detachable power cord, remote control, AA batteries, setup microphone, AM loop antenna, FM indoor antenna, quick setup guide, and CD-ROM owner's manual.

*105 watts per channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, THD 0.08 %), 135 watts per channel (6 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 0.7%)

post #12 of 24 Old 08-07-2013, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Have you looked at Monitor Audio? I just got mine and absolutely adore them.

I got the RS6 pair for $400. They have better stuff but mine have been quite good.

KEF and Swan were also on my radar. You can check Focal Chorus too.

All those options should have center options should you need them.
post #13 of 24 Old 08-07-2013, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 690
Go with emp tek package . Great reviews , measures well , owners love them.
post #14 of 24 Old 08-07-2013, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:

Whats the comparative thought on this 2312? It seems to be a straight across trade for me. I'll call A4L and get some ideas as my 2113 was delivered last week.

]AVR-2312CI 7.2-Channel A/V Receiver, detachable power cord, remote control, AA batteries, setup microphone, AM loop antenna, FM indoor antenna, quick setup guide, and CD-ROM owner's manual.

*105 watts per channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, THD 0.08 %), 135 watts per channel (6 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 0.7%)

The only way an AVR change will make sense is if it has a full set of pre-amp outputs so you can add an external amp if you feel the need at some point. 5, 10, 20 watts won't make a difference.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #15 of 24 Old 08-07-2013, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 90
Quote:

I got some emails from Jon and on TAI it was said they are waiting for the next gen to arrive. The emails and posts indicated the A2 first gen was short lived and the next gen is waiting for a delivery date. The fact is some of the postings for the new A2 are nearly a year old. I figure I could bug Jon to get in on the group buy but I don't want my $$ tied up for a product I wont' see for an undetermined amount of time. I've seen in happen in the emerging diesel-speed industry. Empire and Elite diesel are just 2 companies that had $ for years on products that were in testing phases but never panned out. Refunds were finally given but I can find posts 2 years old that are "wtf is my refund dude?" and I don't want something odd to happen and be stuck in that boat. Unintentional or not, those things happen. Think AV123.

I read plenty of good about the ARX so I am interested. It shows lots of promise and the new center is something I'm excited about.

The Arx A5 are awesome towers and i've been nothing but extremely happy with each Arx model i've owned. Currently running the first gen A2 center and A2 vertical surrounds with the A5s as fronts and its a fantastic system. The delay sucks but I would never put Arx and AV123 in the same sentence. Jon hasn't accepted $$ for vaporware products and has only done small deposits on group buys and even then he waited till the very last moment to post the page to pay the deposits.

From what I've read many have been pretty happy with the A1b as a center and its a very capable bookshelf.
post #16 of 24 Old 08-08-2013, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24 View Post

The Arx A5 are awesome towers and i've been nothing but extremely happy with each Arx model i've owned. Currently running the first gen A2 center and A2 vertical surrounds with the A5s as fronts and its a fantastic system. The delay sucks but I would never put Arx and AV123 in the same sentence. Jon hasn't accepted $$ for vaporware products and has only done small deposits on group buys and even then he waited till the very last moment to post the page to pay the deposits.

From what I've read many have been pretty happy with the A1b as a center and its a very capable bookshelf.

I already got the A5 for fronts but I'm trying to decide whether to get A5 as surrounds or the A3. It'll be a 5.1. The advantage of the A3 I think is the newer 3rd gen tweeter.
post #17 of 24 Old 08-08-2013, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Good to know about the MS. I'm waiting for a reply on the Revel 12.
I have nothing at the moment and we have been saving some and all the reviews for the 2113 seemed that i'd provide what I needed. I''ll have to see what my options are.

Mordaunt Short over here is the cheapest non-asian speaker brand around. I had considered them for HT once like 7 years ago but decided to postpone purchase. If I don't already have the A5 I might still go with the Mordaunt for an ultra cheap HT as it'll only be used by my kids for games. The problem with Mordaunt is they're dry and bright which you seem to want to avoid. Avant, Aviano, Mezzo... they all sucked for music compared to let's say the more expensive PSB. As a matter of fact, I was ready to purchase the Mezzo 2 when it came out but when I demoed at the store I just couldn't believe how dry and unrealistic the sound was. That model ain't cheap either.
post #18 of 24 Old 08-08-2013, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda View Post

I already got the A5 for fronts but I'm trying to decide whether to get A5 as surrounds or the A3. It'll be a 5.1. The advantage of the A3 I think is the newer 3rd gen tweeter.

Well the A2 and A3 are just the first to get the new gen tweeters, Jon is currently working on the A5 with the new gen tweeter (with a rumored drop in kit for older A5s to get the new tweeter) and the A1b will probably be next. The A6 LCR which could possibly be this fall to beginning of the year will have the newest tweeter. It would be a TM flanked by a pair of 6.5" XBL2 woofer in a squarish sealed box. The A4 surround which so far seems a ways off will have it too. For those that have heard the A3 and A5 the A5 is still fairly far ahead of the A3 and really the only major benefit of the new tweeter is power handling and a little more simplified crossover.
post #19 of 24 Old 08-08-2013, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Mordaunt Short over here is the cheapest non-asian speaker brand around. I had considered them for HT once like 7 years ago but decided to postpone purchase. If I don't already have the A5 I might still go with the Mordaunt for an ultra cheap HT as it'll only be used by my kids for games. The problem with Mordaunt is they're dry and bright which you seem to want to avoid. Avant, Aviano, Mezzo... they all sucked for music compared to let's say the more expensive PSB. As a matter of fact, I was ready to purchase the Mezzo 2 when it came out but when I demoed at the store I just couldn't believe how dry and unrealistic the sound was. That model ain't cheap either.

Thats great experience to know. Amazon has the Aviano 6 on sale for 395/pair-NIB, hell I'd get 2 pair fronts and rears/surrounds IF they would work BUT I want good music quality and the ARX has been pushed by a few folks as a hidden gem. Efficient, plenty loud but clear with solid reasonable bass.

Thanks

post #20 of 24 Old 08-08-2013, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I had wondreded about the A3 in that position as well.

I may just call Jon to find out more today. I saw last night there is some B-stock on the A1 and A5. I could possibly get a 5.1 set up for about $1000 so that would be well w/in my price range PLUS I wouldn't have to dip into any other funds for the subs.

post #21 of 24 Old 08-08-2013, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Go with the Marantz 5007 because for only $100 difference you get the upgrade path you're looking for... pre-amp outputs allowing you to add an Emotiva, Parasound, Outlaw Audio, Byston, Anthem, etc. etc. power amplifier of greater handling capabilities. A good power amp will also drive lower ohm speakers much more efficiently without popping a protective fuse.

Also, you don't need to bi-amp or bi-wire. A waste of time, money, and resources. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.

post #22 of 24 Old 08-08-2013, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I had wondreded about the A3 in that position as well.

I may just call Jon to find out more today. I saw last night there is some B-stock on the A1 and A5. I could possibly get a 5.1 set up for about $1000 so that would be well w/in my price range PLUS I wouldn't have to dip into any other funds for the subs.

Oh, you'd still need at least 2 large subs even with the A5's, but you can add those later. That's still an awfully big room to fill with bass. And with a receiver with pre-amp outs and bigger amps, you can drive the Arx louder and more cleanly than with the paltry built-in amps included in a receiver.

post #23 of 24 Old 08-09-2013, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Update:

I spoke to Jon Lane yesterday and got a deal on a 5.1 setup, w/ a 1-1 credit when I return the center for the newer A2b when it arrives biggrin.gif

I'm going to stick w/ the 2113 for now and I have 2 more weeks left on the return so should it not perform it was mentioned that HK under specs their products and would be a solid performer. I've had HK in the past and was pleased w/ them but if I must I;ll upgrade but I'd rather not spend the $$.

I feel confident that 4 Infinity 1262's will be more than ample. Heck, I think 2will work but if the box and things work well for the 1st setup then I'll build the second set. The specs Jay sent me have 2 of them in a 6ft3 box ported to 20hz @ 500watts. The whole house doesn't need to shake and the cat is nervous enough w/out the house rumbling uncontrollably during a jam session.

Thanks for all the ideas.

post #24 of 24 Old 08-09-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:

Great deal on this factory refurbed Marantz 5007 7.2-channel receiver. Has full selection of pre-amp outs, better built-in amp section, Apple Airplay, 4k upscaling, 3D pass through, smartphone remote control app, good Audyssey calibration software, upgraded binding posts. $499. With any refurb, it might be smart to use a credit card with warranty extension benefits or purchase an extra extended warranty.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARSR5007/MARANTZ-SR5007-100w-x7-NetworkingTheater-Receiver-w/AirPlay-3D-4K/1.html

Marantz is the upscale sister company of Denon. Usually has more features for the money too.

I'm more familiar with the Revel speakers and their sound. I'd go with the Revels IMHO. Harmon International is a great company to deal with and they make good products.

Emotiva makes good better-than-budget range power amplifiers and gets excellent user feedback. Really would make those Revels sing.

Thats a great price on the 5007. Looks like I need to sell my 1403 and UPGRADE smile.gif
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page