Speakers for Onkyo TX-NR717 in smaller room - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-08-2013, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm looking to upgrade my receiver to an Onkyo TX-NR717. I currently have a Wal-mart special (RGA RT2870) theater in a box. This thing worked (in my tiny apartment but I have recently moved and looking to upgrade my sound and add more HDMI inputs.

As of now I'm leaning toward the 717, but I'm not sure what speakers I should get for this. This will mostly be used for watching movies and TV. i was initially leaning towards this Polk Audio RM87/PSW108 system, but I have read you might as well spend your money on bookshelve speakers. Is this true?

I have no idea what I'm looking at when looking at speakers. Can someone point me in the right direction or even give me some recommendations for my room size? My room isn't big, and probably doesn't need to be a 7.1, but why the heck not! I will also be moving again probably in 2 years and don't want to have to upgrade again. I've made a diagram of my room that is made to scale, and I have placed the speakers where i think they will work, I'd also like to hear your thoughts on this. The room is setup weird so speaker placement isn't ideal.

I think I'd like either satellite speakers or bookshelves. I will probably make my own stands for the 2-Fronts and the 2- rear speaker, and will probably have to mount the surrounds on the wall. I'm looking to spend $1000 - $1500.

Thanks in advance for any help on this!!

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-08-2013, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked: 1557
a lot of choices in the price range. Depends a lot on your preference for size/aesthetics.

I'll shoot you my recommendation because it's what I have in a room just a little larger. 5 NHT Superzeros. Or seven if you want. $100 each.

They look very nice, are relatively small, can be crossed over at 100hz without issue, have great imaging and nice sound stage and wonderful voicing.

Then pick a sub that will fit in that location from SVS, PSA, Rythmik or HSU. You'll have $500 -$1000 to spend depending on budget.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #3 of 7 Old 08-09-2013, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver2002 View Post

I'm looking to upgrade my receiver to an Onkyo TX-NR717. I currently have a Wal-mart special (RGA RT2870) theater in a box. This thing worked (in my tiny apartment but I have recently moved and looking to upgrade my sound and add more HDMI inputs.

As of now I'm leaning toward the 717, but I'm not sure what speakers I should get for this. This will mostly be used for watching movies and TV. i was initially leaning towards this Polk Audio RM87/PSW108 system, but I have read you might as well spend your money on bookshelve speakers. Is this true?

I have no idea what I'm looking at when looking at speakers. Can someone point me in the right direction or even give me some recommendations for my room size? My room isn't big, and probably doesn't need to be a 7.1, but why the heck not! I will also be moving again probably in 2 years and don't want to have to upgrade again. I've made a diagram of my room that is made to scale, and I have placed the speakers where i think they will work, I'd also like to hear your thoughts on this. The room is setup weird so speaker placement isn't ideal.

I think I'd like either satellite speakers or bookshelves. I will probably make my own stands for the 2-Fronts and the 2- rear speaker, and will probably have to mount the surrounds on the wall. I'm looking to spend $1000 - $1500.

Thanks in advance for any help on this!!

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01

This process seems backward to me. Given that the speakers are going to play the largest role in determining the quality of the sound that you will get from your setup, it would seem to me that you should select your speakers first and then select a receiver that can power them.

That said, the Onkyo is a fairly capable receiver and should be able to effectively power a wide range of solid speakers.

post #4 of 7 Old 08-09-2013, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

In my area there isn't anyone who really sells speakers besides a Best Buy that is an hour away. I was looking on BB and see they carry the Klipsch Icon speakers.

Can someone please look at this setup and tell me if its good or not?

(2) - Klipsch KF-26 - $349 (each)
(1) - Klipsch KB-15 - $249.98 (pair)
(1) - Klipsch KC-25 - $249.99
(1) - Klipsch SW 350 - $369.99

I was originally thinking of doing a 7.1 setup, but the placement of the bookshelf surround speakers wouldn't be very practical so I was thinking I could do the above speakers and Bi-amp the KF-26's? I did look at the KF-28's but they will be a little big. I'm also not sure about the sub. I listed the SW 350 because I think i could fit that in the spot behind the TV. The SW 450 would be a little too big I think for the spot. I see the local best buy also carries the Polk PSW110 ($249) and the Polk PSW111 ($299). Do you think the SW 350 would OK in this setup or should I switch to the PSW111 which will also fit a little better in the spot.

Thanks for your input!
post #5 of 7 Old 08-09-2013, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Speaker choice is very personal. I would say that it is worth the drive to best buy to hear the speakers they have.

Personally (staying in klipsch), at those prices, I would look at the reference series over the icon. The rf 52 can be found for the same price as that kf-26 at bb and is a better speaker. I previously owned reference series speakers and compared to the icon. Same for the matching center

I would also suggest starting with 5.1 and buying better quality equipment for your money. If you later decide that you need the 7.1, you can always add on.

Re: sub. You don't have to match, but TD klipsch rw-12d can be found on newegg for about 260 (every month or so) and is a good value. It also happens to be reference series.

Just my .02
post #6 of 7 Old 08-10-2013, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Dang. You weren't kidding. I found a 5.1 set of Klipsch Reference (52II series) for $200 more then the Icon set. The Reference set comes with the SW-310 sub which is listed on the Klipsch website for $1,050....seems strange. I hope this is a good sub because I think it will fit perfectly.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-10-2013, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Well I was leaning towards the Reference RF-52 II series listed above, but since the floor standing speakers will be very close to the wall, I'm wondering if I should maybe go for a model that is front ported?

How does the Synergy F-20 series compare to the Reference 52 II series?

I found these two options for the Synergy F-20 series. I don't know anything about speakers but the F-20 is more expensive then the RF-52 II so I'm not sure if that means its newer or better or what. Can someone tell me how these compare to the Reference line?

Option #1 - $1,399
(2) - F-20
(1) C-20
(2) S-20
(1) BIC Acoustech PL-200

Option # 2 - $1,399
(2) - F-20
(1) C-20
(2) S-20
(1) Premier Acoustic PA-120
Sponsored Links
Advertisement