creative gigaworks s700 as audio system for TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-09-2013, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I have the Creative Gigaworks S700 speaker system which i purchased many years ago for use with my computer. Is there any way to use this as an audio system for my television? I imagine I'd need a receiver of course, but I'm not sure how/if receivers can connect to 3.5mm audio connectors. This picture shows the back of the subwoofer. All the speakers connect here, then 3.5mm connectors are run to the soundcard of a computer. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-10-2013, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 55
If your TV has standard stereo analog audio outputs, then you can just get a 3.5mm stereo to RCA stereo Y cable. This will get you 2-channel audio. In order to do multi-channel audio you will need an external decoder. If I'm not mistaken, you received a 5.1 or 7.1 analog audio cable with which you used to connect a SoundBlaster PC audio card to the subwoofer module. Creative sold an external multi-channel decoder ( DDTS-100 ) years ago that would allow you to connect stuff like DVD players, etc. to the decoder, which used that 7.1 cable to connect to the S700.

Since the S700 has four inputs for the 7.1 cable, you SHOULD be able to rig something up with FOUR of the Y splitters and a receiver with amplifier pre-outs. Marantz is your cheapest alternative for a receiver with pre-outs. This is usually a high-end option for those that want to add more power via external amps. Something like a Marantz SR5007 can be had refurbished at Accessories4less for around $500. The cables will be $3 to $7 each depending on quality and length.

Cables... http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021815&p_id=5598&seq=1&format=2

The only real problem you might encounter is figuring out which channel is left or right. The test tones built into the Marantz receiver will help you get those connected right. Having a receiver will also allow you to connect everything to the receiver and use that as the center of your system instead of hooking everything up to the TV. The TV will only need a single HDMI connection from the receiver and all sources would connect to the receiver via whatever cabling is required. The Marantz is a networked receiver so you can even stream stuff from the internet ( Amazon, YouTube, NetFlix ) or your PC.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #3 of 3 Old 08-10-2013, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Jevans, thanks for the reply. So I'm looking at ~$750 to rig this properly (500 for the receiver, 200 for the ddts-100 on ebay). Do you think this is a good route for getting an audio system setup? I know absolutely nothing about speakers, but is it also viable to get a receiver and connect them directly to it? The only thing I wouldn't be able to connect this way is the subwoofer because that still has digital outputs right?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page